Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Bit of a chilly start this morning, some frost and ice about, but in general a pleasant ride in. Lovely low fog in the air as I was leaving Bitton.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A spectacular dawn lighting up the sky and a truly beautiful near - conjunction of a very thin crescent moon and the planet Venus this morning.

[as an aside googling "Moon venus conjunction" disappointingly gets lots of astrological bullocks attempting to scam naifs. The Jodrell bank website gave me some confirmation of my amateur astral body identification. http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/#planets ]

Ahh, that could be what it was.
I had a brief period where I cycled out of one bank of fog, before being immersed again. The crescent moon looked stunning against the black sky with what I thought was an unusually bright "star" nearby.
Thanks

icowden

Veteran
A good rule of thumb is that if it is twinkling, it's a star. If it looks bright and static (and usually circular), it's a planet.

KneesUp

Guru
Proper frost here for the first time this winter. So obviously my gloves have gone missing.

I cycled home without them yesterday and that was painful enough, even though it was not freezing. I was not looking forward to cycling in actual freezing conditions without them. "I just need something to keep the wind off, and I reckon I'll be ok" I thought.

And that is how come I rode to work wearing washing up gloves. (They worked quite well)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Bimbled into Bristol in the cold this morning past Colston's school and through St Weburgh's for a speech therapy appointment, and then off to work up the Concorde Way to Bradley Stoke. Slow & steady !

Reactions: C R

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Beautiful ride in this morning despite leaving home before 05:30 - the overnight temperature held a couple of degrees above freezing so no ice on the road, but the sky was completely clear of cloud so a fantastic view of the crescent moon and Venus, plus very little wind.

No return commute today as I had to endure a 2hr drive down to Tilbury leaving at just after 06:30 for work, then an overnighter and another day's work in Tilbury before another 2hr drive back, with the weather forecast not looking good for Wednesday's ride home

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A good rule of thumb is that if it is twinkling, it's a star. If it looks bright and static (and usually circular), it's a planet.

Simpler still. If it's notably bright, it's probably a planet.

Venus, Jupiter and Mars are brighter than any star. Saturn is not far behind.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not been very lucky on the commute the last few days!
Yesterday, strictly speaking not a commute because I was not riding to work but to meet friends, I had my waterproof trouser stolen from my panniers.
Ok, I didn't use them much, only when I can't change at the other end, but still ...
This morning, very icy but no problem for me with the studded tyres, I got an angry left punishment pass (I was going straight), on the only bit of road I used.
The driver objected to me filtering a couple of cars and sharing a space with a moped in front.
Then, on the commute home, I got grabbed by the bike rack by some neds, they had a kind of Mastiff dog with them that attacked my front tyre!
I don't know how I didn't puncture, I don't know how the dog kept biting when the snow studs must have caused him pain in the mouth.
Hopefully there won't be any more incidents for a good few months :sweat:

Slick

Guru
Not been very lucky on the commute the last few days!
Yesterday, strictly speaking not a commute because I was not riding to work but to meet friends, I had my waterproof trouser stolen from my panniers.
Ok, I didn't use them much, only when I can't change at the other end, but still ...
This morning, very icy but no problem for me with the studded tyres, I got an angry left punishment pass (I was going straight), on the only bit of road I used.
The driver objected to me filtering a couple of cars and sharing a space with a moped in front.
Then, on the commute home, I got grabbed by the bike rack by some neds, they had a kind of Mastiff dog with them that attacked my front tyre!
I don't know how I didn't puncture, I don't know how the dog kept biting when the snow studs must have caused him pain in the mouth.
Hopefully there won't be any more incidents for a good few months :sweat:
Sorry to hear that Pat, hopefully just a blip but take care.

Oh, and how's the dug. :okay:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
My commute this morning was stunning in the early morning fog.
0DA6CF4B-55C4-4BAF-99C6-A17DB539EC84.jpeg

The guided busway has made the ride to Bolton via the connecting NCN 55 safe and pleasant

87F700EC-A6CF-433A-8166-045B3A49842B.jpeg

Sadly, commuters using the M-61 were not so lucky, they do this every day into Manchester
450014C8-DDFD-42CA-862A-AB78CD2920C8.jpeg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Very unpleasant ride in this morning. Heavy rain and wind in my face for every mile. :sad:

Got hit on the commute home yesterday, by a skid mark driver attempting a close pass between me and an oncoming lorry. Cycling 60/70cm from the edge of the road, my hip/thigh were first hit by the car's wing mirror, followed immediately by the handlebar as the driver cut further across me. Luckily spidey senses went into overdrive for a second or two just before it happened and I just about avoided hitting the kerb and possibly falling back on to the road into other traffic. The sh1te didn't even stop, even though it must have been obvious to the driver from the noise of two bangs of the mirror, that some form of collision had taken place.
Albeit foggy and 4pm, viz was 60m/70m, hi viz rain jacket, lights on and usual reflectors on bike and clothing, so SMIDSY not an excuse.
I looked in some car parks in the next village in the hope rather than expectation, that the driver might have stopped in one of them, but no luck.
Reported it to Cheshire Police last night, but its looking like I have to pay £4 to trace the driver's insurance company to report them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another wet ride in this morning. Only saving grace is that it wasn't cold. A distinct lack of other cycle commuters this morning too.

Rainy commute # 48 for the year
Last years at same time 29 rainy commutes. 31 for 2017 over all.

Top Bottom