Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rain on the way in, geared up for it as it was raining before I left home. Not raining on the way home though, for the first 5 minutes. Not geared up for it. Got wet. Still better than being in the car though:smile:

13 rider

Guru
met dame sarah storey at the lights. apparently rapha overshoes still don’t keep your feet dry...
Who won the race to the next lights ?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Very icy again this morning.
Discovered why I've been finding it hard to pedal the ice tank: I thought it was stuck in 4th gear since last winter, but, no, it was stuck in 3rd gear instead.
It only has the 5 gears :laugh:

si_c

Guru
Commute home last night had a visit from the fairy at the rear. Felt round inside the tyre, couldn't find anything poking through, so replaced the tube, carried on. About 5 miles later and a second rapid loss of the rear, close enough that it was quicker to carry on walking rather than ride home.

Checked the tyre, 2cm gash in the sidewall, no spare tire at home, so ordered a replacement, in the meantime booted the tire to get me to and from the station this morning - but the hole is showing as a 2mm gap through which the boot is visible, so I'm not going to rely on it lasting particularly long.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Decided to do some hills at dinner time :ohmy:

Crawled up Roecliffe Road and Joe Moore's Lane and round to the top of Warren Hill, started the descent and the gears decided they didn't want to change up. Cue some manic spinning.

Still playing up on the way home, gears were perfect for the ascending but spinning like a loon on the flat and no option but to freewheel on the descents.

rivers

How far can I go?
Puncture fairy visit on the way home today. Luckily I was about 10 seconds from home. I wouldn't have noticed it until I got home had I not run into my wife who was cycling into town for a Christmas do. And I've talked the wife into letting me get a new bike through cycle to work. Which is good, because it's just arrived and i have a fitting next week.

Randombiker9

Not many close calls. But just want to say something should a bus really overtake you just as the bend finsihes? As tuesday afternoon i was cycling there's this very small bend i cycle through just as it finished i noticed a bus about to overtake me so i moved into the other lane to let it get past. But was this rearly neccersairy? especially as it's final stop was afterwards. :eek:

Still can't believe that my local buses have been named as the best bus operator. Doesn't seem that way :?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Round the bend on a country lane to encounter flooding right across the road, oncoming traffic as well.

So I stuck my arm out & took primary throughout until I'd passed through the waters. Impressive bow wave from the oncoming truck which fortunately missed me somehow !

All good clean fun. Thank goodness for a radiator to dry my kit.

Please let it be dry next week.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Bloomin' windy again. And wet again. At least yesterday it was raining when I left home so I was properly dressed, unlike today when the rain started 3 miles from work when I wasn't. Glad for the drying room today, less pleased about the headwind blowing me about on the way home.
Still, looks like it's going to get cold next week, hopefully that means dry too...

icowden

Veteran
Very wet. I was practically swimming to the train station. Bit nicer the other end, but not much. About to find if anything has managed to dry...

dhd.evans

Veteran
2olgs9.jpg

Sixmile

Veteran
Back on the bike (and this thread!) for the first time in exactly two weeks due to a combination of weather, work and school drop offs.

I sucked the bike onto the roof to do the school run and quickly threw my overshoes, coat and helmet etc into the boot. It was only a few miles before school that I realised I didn't throw in any lights! Fine on the way in, but not so good for my return journey. I opened the boot once I was dropping off the kids and found I'd a rear light still attached to the helmet and I'd one front light under the gloves in the helmet. Then seen the seatpost/seat from my fat bike in the boot and that had a Fly6 attached to it. So whilst not at my preferred compliment of lights (I'd prefer to have another front), at least I have enough to get me home I think!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was hit by a driver this morning - https://www.strava.com/activities/2009727811

Driver with steamed-up windows came out of a side-road without slowing. As I'm right in front of her. Managed to stay upright but there's scrapes along her bonnet/wing/door. Bruising but no major bike damage.

Lots of witnesses stopped and she collapsed in tears - it's the first time I've been hugged by a SMIDSY.

Top Bottom