Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Bit nippy this morning, base layer for the first time this Winter. nice and warm after a few miles though, and I always enjoy the cold morning rides once I can feel my fingers again..

united4ever

Über Member
enjoy these crisp, sunny, still mornings and still not really icy where i am thankfully. No insects, no heavy sweating and really refreshing start and end to the day. In many ways better than a summers ride.

Randombiker9

I was hit by a driver this morning - https://www.strava.com/activities/2009727811

Driver with steamed-up windows came out of a side-road without slowing. As I'm right in front of her. Managed to stay upright but there's scrapes along her bonnet/wing/door. Bruising but no major bike damage.

Lots of witnesses stopped and she collapsed in tears - it's the first time I've been hugged by a SMIDSY.
At least she stopped but sorry to here that

Sixmile

Veteran
Brrrr :cold: although, not as cold as I thought I'd be. The fingers took a few miles before they had any feeling but I was toasty without being sweaty. Just a base, thermal LS jersey and a light shower jacket as I couldn't find my Altura coat. I was quite a bit slower this morning and I didn't feel the need to push it. On mornings like this, it's just a job of arriving.

John_S

Über Member
The commute was alright this morning because it was dry and above freezing so that's as good as it gets at this time of year.

Despite the fact that I'm in east anglia and not Scandinavia, Canada or anywhere else that gets extremely cold winters I still like switching over to winter tyres in a bid to help keep my upright on the coldest days over winter.

Anyway having put my Schwalbe Marathon spiked tyre back on just over a week ago I'd forgotten to bonus side effect of running these tyres. Whilst riding along they make a sort of snap, crackle and pop sound (in the style or rice crispies) and this really catches the attention of pedestrians and seems to lessen the chances of pedestrians inadvertently stepping off the pavement to cross the road in front of you.

rivers

How far can I go?
I had to be to work early today, so I took the shorter 10 Mile route in today. And it was silly season on the roads. So many close passes.

Gary E

Veteran
Wet.

Do you know what gets my goat? seeing cyclists on the road cycling NEXT TO a perfectly decent, well laid, lit, empty cycle path.... Its like we are our own worst enemy... Use them or lose them
....and as soon as I see one of those I'll be very happy to use it!

Assuming it's not full of pedestrians, prams, rubbish, broken off bits of car, overgrown hedges and parked cars :cursing:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I really enjoyed the misty valleys on the way to work, and the rising sun. I have had a cold this weekend so took it gently on the way in.

I didn't enjoy being passed fast and rather close by a lady driving a Golf, who seemed to be expressing her annoyance that I was on her road, rather than on the shared use pavement, which involves using a dangerous unsighted place to cross an entry sliproad onto the M5.

I am having difficulty remembering to change the exposure settings on my front camera between day (0) and night (+2).

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
....and as soon as I see one of those I'll be very happy to use it!

Assuming it's not full of pedestrians, prams, rubbish, broken off bits of car, overgrown hedges and parked cars :cursing:

Yesterday, I stayed on the road next to a shared use path (because it is dangerous to cross the motorway sliproad unsighted, and further ahead the lights are never in favour of path users) and got a punishment pass.

Today, as it is very windy I decided to use it, but as I signalled to leave the road to join the path, I had another punishment pass.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A rather pleasant, if blustery commute last night and this morning. I'm on the final run into Christmas now, 3 more work nights to go and I am hoping to cycle them all because it will be January before I have the chance to commute again. Weather forecast for tonight is utterly miserable so I might give it a miss.....

si_c

Guru
Rather brutal cross headwind on the way in this morning, not the easiest ride in. Fortunately drivers gave me loads of space as the wind kept catching and pushing me over to one side.

Of course tonight the wind is going to die down completely so no tailwind :angry:

Top Bottom