Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
Last commute of the year today. Helpful tailwind in this morning (yes they do exist!) but cold, wet and windy coming home. I reached my goal for the year yesterday - 5500 miles so happy with that.
aferris2_veloviewer_2018.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Wet ride home tonight :rain:

Randombiker9

Totally random question. i commute on a Mountain bike. (Ive gone over glass by accident several times. Luckily it's never been punctured. I thought any sharp object would cause you to get a puncture or a mountain bike tyres a lot stronger then hybrid and road tyres? or is this just luck?. I'm not complaning.

ps also on the way home the last roundabout. It's ussually quiet. I looked right and veichles on roundabout to give way. Nothing But then as i started going straight driver came out from no where i don't think he had headlights on and almost went into me. :Luckily is was indicating but turned it on very late. so i managed to suddenly brake. Not helpful when it's dark and raining :/

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Bike day off ??? You first

Age before beauty :tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, another couple of rainy commutes.
Last nights was especially vile as I mentioned above.
This mornings wasn't so bad as the rain wasn't so heavy, however the roads were all flooded.

So. scores on the doors.
Rainy commute 50 & 51 for the year to date.
Same period of time last year 31 rainy commutes with 31 over all.
I have 9 more commutes left this year so I guess there may be a couple of more wet ones.

I can safely say that 2018 has been the wettest year of commuting of the 12 years I have been keeping commuting records.

Sixmile

Veteran
A dry but head-windy commute for me. The first 5 miles were especially slow then overtook 3 double decker buses in a row. I mean, why does one stop need so many half empty buses! I then was overtaken by one shortly after, so I overtook it, then a second one overtook me different from the first, then I overtook it, then it overtook me, I overtook it one last time, then it was away. The other two never caught me.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Impatient driver backs off & waits, as I take primary to navigate 15 metres of flooded back road :okay: - only to overtake & force an oncoming car to brake once I'm back in secondary :thumbsdown:!!

Still, it was dryer than last night which was a good thing !

My overshoes aren't all that waterproof so I stuck some crisp packets over my socks which kept my toes dry and warm last night.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've been fairly lucky the past week - all the rain has either been while I've been at work (this morning) or started within a few minutes of getting home (Saturday & Tuesday).

The only real problem is that the chain & cassette really need changing on the main commuter as they are badly worn (nearly 5000 miles on them from what I can work out!) so I'm having to skip the most used gear due to slippage under even moderate power. Hopefully this should be done sometime between Christmas & the New Year.

Top Bottom