Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Got bumped by a car this morning who pulled out onto me - claimed SMIDSY and driver got quite upset. Couldn't bring myself to tear them a new one. No real harm, no real foul...
Ive done that when the driver seems genuine,its not worth making the incident any worse and hopefully they have learned a big lesson.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
There is one on Oxford road, Manchester, it clocked 5000 per day on 12 days last year.
View attachment 448232

That figure doesn't surprise me. Last September I had reason to visit a couple of times the St Mary's etc., hospital complex. Even further out from the City there were loads of cyclists at commuting times.
I have noticed TFGM have taken a different approach on the traffic information board on Liverpool Road, near Barton airfield, or City Airport as it likes to be known. The road can be a bottleneck, particularly at peak periods and as well as warning about increased traffic from football and rugby matches, it commonly say "No congestion reported in the cycle lane." - Which is actually a shared use path, but probably has more cyclists than pedestrians.

Leaway2

Lycrist
That figure doesn't surprise me. Last September I had reason to visit a couple of times the St Mary's etc., hospital complex. Even further out from the City there were loads of cyclists at commuting times.
I have noticed TFGM have taken a different approach on the traffic information board on Liverpool Road, near Barton airfield, or City Airport as it likes to be known. The road can be a bottleneck, particularly at peak periods and as well as warning about increased traffic from football and rugby matches, it commonly say "No congestion reported in the cycle lane." - Which is actually a shared use path, but probably has more cyclists than pedestrians.
I ride past "city airport" :laugh: regularly (I had my 21st birthday party there), but have not seen it. As cyclist, we see it as a positive, motorists may not see it in the same light!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Last edited:

bonker

Guru
I hoped this bus driver would give way to me approaching from her right (with a car up my bum) but I expected her to simply pull out anyway. All that was missing was a two-fingered salute, I suppose it was otiose in any event as the driving was self-explanatory.

Wear hi-vis they said, be seen be safe they said..

View attachment 447274
It's just the same in London. The buses are the worse offenders when it comes to respecting the blue lanes ( CS7 at least). Boils down to the training of drivers , or lack of it.
Cold one this morning.

rivers

How far can I go?
Extra long commute in today as I'm supplying tech support for student assessments at a theatre in town today. All was well, cycling along at speed with traffic, and a cab behind me decides he needs to squeeze in front of me into the small gap between myself and the car in front. He then had to slam on his breaks as traffic stopped. I just kept going

John_S

Über Member
The commutes were nippy today but the roads were dry and so I didn't have any trouble.

However I've seen that there's one of those yellow warnings for ice tomorrow on the Met Office website and so I hope that everyone gets to work & back alright!

John

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A nice gentle commute on frosty cycle paths this morning .

IMG_20190122_080007418.jpg

Top Bottom