Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Great to get back to the commute today. Dry and sunny too :becool:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
It makes me laugh the reporting of taxi protests apparently bringing London to a standstill. Last week it was the minicabs (https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/minicabs-london-bridge-protest-ulez-traffic/ ) and today the black cabs again allegedly caused 'traffic chaos'. by abandoning their cabs and blocking Whitehall and Parliament Square. It was quite strange seeing so many cabs empty, I thought maybe they'd all had enough and were handing them in^_^.
pElTQsg.jpg

fw9JzuM.jpg

No delays for us cyclists, I was only at a standstill while taking photos^_^.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
On me way home tonight, just pulling up to the lights at the junction of Albany Road and Camberwell Road, by Burgess Park.

"Pffffffft".

The front one, thankfully. I thought the p*nct*re fairies had struck again, but having turned the tyre inside out I saw it was a pinch flat caused by a small tear in the sidewall.

Oh, b@lls, thought I, still with nine miles or so to go and no convenient train station. All I could do was to wander up the road and see if I could get something to effect a repair.

Nearby was a petrol station; they had a small roll of PVC tape. So, I bought that, put a strip on the inside of the tyre of the tear (and another couple to keep it down), and one on the outside for good luck. I then rode home gingerly, keeping hand pressure off the bars, taking bends slowly in order not to bank too much, and avoiding as many bumps as possible.

I made it, thankfully.

I had been thinking this morning that I really should change the tyres, as they have done many, many miles. Now the decision's been made for me. I must get some tyre boots to carry about, too.

I took the Sunday best bike into work for the first time this year.
,At the weekend I had stripped the hub of the rear wheel on the winter bike and found one of the bearings has disintegrated inside the freewheel. The wheels have only just done over 1200 miles, some of them in the snow, but I would expect better mileage than that. Fortunately, it has not damaged the free wheel or the spindle (well nothing I cannot fix)
New bearings ordered and hopefully I can fit them before the first audax ride of the year on Saturday. Although the weather is looking dry this week, so the summer bike could be used if needed.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Smidsy'd at low speed on the way home last night. S'pose i'd better start using cycle lanes again...

Apparently she "couldn't see me" and "i shouldn't have been there anyway".

Oh well, what can you do?

Macca85

Day off for me today so had a ride into town, saw a 1st though this morning.

1 of the lads.going to the college near me was cruising about on an old chopper:becool: not seen 1 for years but it looked in reasonable nicker.

I doubt this but has anyone else spotted people doing commutes even short trips on a BMX or similar

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Gorgeous ride in yesterday, the ride home not overly marred by an Audi A6 driver overtaking late into the path of a visible oncoming vehicle which was forced to brake, and some loon tooting me as I waited to turn right into a side-road.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Report her to the taxi licensing folks, suggest an eye test, report to the police ?

Folk suggesting 101 for this but honestly unless the spoke repair runs into the hunners of pounds i'm just going to take it on the chin and accept that sometimes people just want to kill you with their stupidity and blissful ignorance...

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Folk suggesting 101 for this but honestly unless the spoke repair runs into the hunners of pounds i'm just going to take it on the chin and accept that sometimes people just want to kill you with their stupidity and blissful ignorance...

Getting away with it might make her even more complacent towards other road users and may result in a more serious outcome for someone else.

Top Bottom