Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CycleCommute.CC

Today was the first proper ride of the month and its the 19th.
The morning ride was a chilly -24C but it is expected to go up to -8C this afternoon.
This is why lots of Canadians take a winter warm weather break.
Respect! What do you wear when it's that cold?

aferris2

Guru
Nice :cursing: close pass by a bus on the way home today. Driver waited patiently behind me as we went round a blind corner then passed a couple of parked cars. The overtake started off OK, but started driver to pull back to the kerb as the front wheels passed me. He would have got me if I hadn't slowed almost to a halt. Nothing coming in the other direction so no excuse. Report has been submitted.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
The view from your chair is almost as good as mine! :smile:

I'm at work on my own today so the bike gets the luxury of living in the office too - it's in the way too much if there are other in.

EDIT - toaster on your desk though - I can only dream of such luxury! I have a heated coaster, but it would take a long time to make toast on it!
Oh it’s not that bad,it’s just a place for my computer and bike,my big office looks like this .....,
EAC2B894-F011-4D25-9BD3-6EB79B2B0196.jpeg
6B9C9C48-8E06-4BE0-AFE4-4228C7F7F228.jpeg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wow!

Fantastic ride home tonight. I can't remember the last time I worked a half-shift and cycled home after midnight, must be last autumn at a guess.

Tonight was perfect, despite the slightly damp weather. The rain just kept up a steady spitting and the roads were wet with puddles, but I didn't care one jot. I was on top form and my legs just kept on spinning. The roads were deserted, almost eerily quiet by urban Manchester standards. I don't think I was passed by more than 4 or 5 cars in the whole 11 miles trip. I wish it was always this good.....

Wow!

Fantastic ride home tonight. I can't remember the last time I worked a half-shift and cycled home after midnight, must be last autumn at a guess.

Tonight was perfect, despite the slightly damp weather. The rain just kept up a steady spitting and the roads were wet with puddles, but I didn't care one jot. I was on top form and my legs just kept on spinning. The roads were deserted, almost eerily quiet by urban Manchester standards. I don't think I was passed by more than 4 or 5 cars in the whole 11 miles trip. I wish it was always this good.....
I had a ride home very similar to yours, finished same time, same weather same distance and same traffic and managed to get home in 36 mins! Fastest I've done it for years, and all to a backing track of cracking music thanks to my trek Aftershokz headphones.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Interesting how the camera and your memory differ.

Cycling in, close pass. Looks close. Need to report it.

Cycling out however...

I recall:
Coming down the hill at speed
Catch up with driver
Driver stops surdsudd because a car reversed blindly out of a blind driveway

Video shows:
Car pulls out of a junction in front of me.
I start to slow.
They stop suddenly, within 25 yards when they encounter a car which had already reversed 3/4 out of a driveway

Either way I had to brake suddenly, and the bike didn't stop as fast as expected. I made contact with perhaps an 8th of a wheel turn to go.

Just a muddy patch on his bumper, but my rear wheel lifted.

He was concerned about me.
Wasn't at all concerned about the car.
Blamed the person for reversing, like I thought had happened. I guess I'm more suggestible than I thought!

If he hadn't pulled out, I presumably would have been annoyed about the reversing car on my side of the road but either passed or had a car length extra to stop.

Either way, I'll be more careful on that hill!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's been a lot easier riding to work in the morning and back home again in the evening as no school kids to deal with , but my lunchtime commutes have been hell because of all the on holiday school kids playing or walking along the shared paths

Top Bottom