Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Still a bit chilly setting out at 6am, but pleasanly warm & sunny by finishing time. Celebrated the first day without a northerly or easterly breeze for some time with an extended 25 mile trip to Ipswich & back as part of the commute home.

Johnno260

Veteran
Only a partial commute as the traffic in Tunbridge Wells is a joke at the moment, I was only almost knocked off twice which is good for this place, and I got insulted by an off duty nurse at the bakery for being nuisance on the road, "you should all stick to a park or track" I was told in rather colourful language, I said thanks for stereotyping me with your in-correction assumptions but I just want a sandwich

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Extended commute home through the hills interrupted by a snapped rear gear cable :sad: only to be pleasantly surprised that I had actually acted on my resolution to stick a spare in the saddle bag the last time that happened, back up and running in 10 minutes :wahhey:. Wasn't looking forward to getting home on a 34/11 gear...

Even remembered to replace with a new one on my return too, and put a brake cable in as well - that's bound to go next.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Slapped on my Askiums on Tuesday as my regular riding wheels (Ksyriums are shelved until my next sportive!) but neglected to do proper setup.

Squeaky brake rubbing noises when out of the saddle or, in any case, putting any oomph through them. Straight to my local mechanic with it as there are loose spokes on the back wheel i noticed.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Commuted yesterday and today on the Vitus trying to sort out a couple of niggles before doing any longer rides on it , been great weather the last couple of days for cycling lets hope it continues for a while

AndreaJ

Veteran
Extra day commuting on my bike due to school holidays, bit cool and breezy though. Coming in to Wem I joined the end of a long queue of traffic which I thought was a bit odd because it’s only a small market town although there are temporary traffic lights on the High street , turns out the 3 way lights are all stuck on red! Luckily I was in the queue which cracked first and went through, judging by the amount of traffic in the queue I passed they had been stuck for a while. One of those days when you are glad to be on a bike as I could have turned round or walked through instead of sitting there all morning.

Sixmile

Veteran
I'd a totally impromptu, unplanned bike commute this morning.

My car wouldn't start last night, everything pointed towards a flat battery. I took the battery out overnight and had it on charge in the garage. Put it back in this morning but no, car still wouldn't start. It was 7:30am, my wife was away in our other car, I had 2 girls to get ready and 3 miles to school. Added to that, the rain had come on pretty hard. The latter had kinda ruled out my eldest riding to school (plus issues with the bike & granny's pick up later..). Thank goodness for the double trailer. My soon to be 7yo is too big for it now but still fits, so in they got with school bags in the boot and I pulled the waterproof cover down, hooked it to the 'weighty' fat bike (the only bike that I have suitable to pull it at present) and off to school we went. By the time we got there, i was sufficiently drenched, the trailer looked like it'd been pulled through a forest but vola, the kids jumped out clean and dry and off through the doors they went. I then had to drop the trailer to a relations in the town before another 12 miles wet riding, into a headwind to scrape into work just before 10am. Tough morning, tough conditions but bike to the rescue!

Sixmile

Veteran
Second morning without a car to call on (hopefully I'll get a new battery in the morning). Thankfully the grandparents were able to take the kids to school allowing me a full commute to work, albeit against the wind with a decent amount of rainfall.

k_green

Finally broke an hour to work today. I've been hovering around the 1:01-1:05 mark for a while now, and finally eeked it under the hour mark to 59:55 according to strava (59:17 according to the wahoo) over 15.8 miles.
congrats! very satisfying :smile:

Top Bottom