Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I have been doing a partial commute for a while now especially as the traffic in T Wells is a joke most days, last night the traffic was stacked everywhere, I filtered through the worst safely and my work colleagues went postal this morning! said cyclists wonder why we have a bad name etc, I replied saying it was safe to filter and they had no issue with the motorcyclists and scooters, their reply well they have engines...... that's logic for you?
:wacko: sounds like the Homer Simpson school of rhetoric.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have been doing a partial commute for a while now especially as the traffic in T Wells is a joke most days, last night the traffic was stacked everywhere, I filtered through the worst safely and my work colleagues went postal this morning! said cyclists wonder why we have a bad name etc, I replied saying it was safe to filter and they had no issue with the motorcyclists and scooters, their reply well they have engines...... that's logic for you?

people like that are best ignored. They are just getting fat and angry in their metal boxes not going anywhere.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Good deed for the day - informing a van driver his brake lights were not working properly, which was well received as the MOT is due next week.

Also, had a refreshing unprompted and sincere apology for a close pass this morning.

I had to adjust my commute to deliver dog mixer biscuits to my son who is 16 today, and who is fishing on his birthday (although he is meant to be on "study leave") !

icowden

Veteran
Maybe he didn't see you. In which case it's your fault....

I have a fluorescent rucksack, a shiny white cycling helmet and it was broad daylight (if it hadn't been my lights would have been on - Volt400s). If he hadn't seen me he would have knocked me off my bike and not gone round me. Can we quit petty insults now, it's not really adding to the discussion unless you can do better with your logic?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I have a fluorescent rucksack, a shiny white cycling helmet and it was broad daylight (if it hadn't been my lights would have been on - Volt400s). If he hadn't seen me he would have knocked me off my bike and not gone round me. Can we quit petty insults now, it's not really adding to the discussion unless you can do better with your logic?
No insult was intended, petty or otherwise, and I'm reasonably certain none was present in my post, merely an opportunity for you to consider what it's like to be subjected to unwarranted victim blaming. If you feel insulted, please report my post(s) to the moderators so that they can take appropriate action against me.

As for logic, having read your contributions to the "Organ donors in motion" thread, I don't feel any particular need to take lessons.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Back on the commute after the Spanish adventure, a week working from home and a business jaunt to Zurich. Jumped on the bike and something did not feel right, Stopped after a few miles to check the seat post, the lock had come loose and it was working its way back into the frame. As I had a train to catch I did not want to start fetteling so I pushed on. Actually reached the station in good time so had plenty of time to adjust and tighten the seat post.
The ride through London was interesting, was almost taken out by an idiot on a bike who rode across my path without looking and then proceeded to jump a succession of red lights. Then had a woman walk out into the the cycle lane in front of me, again without looking, thank goodness for disc brakes ... Got to the junction of Grey's Inn Road and Holborn and noticed a whole building had been demolished since I was last in town. Things certainly change quickly in that there London !

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Got to the junction of Grey's Inn Road and Holborn and noticed a whole building had been demolished since I was last in town. Things certainly change quickly in that there London !

Things move a lot slower up in Poshshire that's for sure

pjd57

Veteran
I've been volunteering at Glasgow Green , with Free Wheel North.
They have a wide variety of bikes, trikes, side by sides etc to make cycling accessable .

7 miles there , 7 home. Usually once or twice a week.

Today when it got quiet I put some air in my tyres.
Half an hour later as I'm leaving..... puncture.
Only the front, and somewhere with pumps, patches and a mechanic on hand just in case.

If I had to pick a good place for it to happen..

dhd.evans

Veteran
upload_2019-6-7_9-31-16.png

Fun on the way home last night :biggrin:

Sixmile

Veteran
Gotta love fat bike Fridays.

Eldest (6 y.o.) rode to school, youngest (5 y.o.) jumped on the rear seat for the 3 miles to school in glorious sunshine, before I headed 13 miles onto work. I haven't been on the bike since Monday due to it just lashing here all week, so I felt pretty fresh with a few days rest on the legs. It's so good to see that big yellow thing in the sky again.

icowden

Veteran
yes - we've had it on loan for the last week dahn sarf in Surrey / London. Today however it's a bit dreich with rain, rain and a bit more rain.
Still - as long as you give it back tomorrow we'll be OK.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bad news - Chilly & breezy on the way in.
Good news - Last day of nine consecutive at work
Bad news - Very windy & wet early afternoon. Cr*p rostering by management meant that I ended up doing an extra hour due to a lack of cover
Good news - Cr*p rostering by management meant that I ended up doing an extra hour, but by the time I left work the rain had stopped and the wind had dropped.

Top Bottom