Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
First day commuting to my relocated desk.
12.4 miles a day becomes... 24.8 miles per day.

Conditions were excellent, and the cycle in was a shade over 50 mins after finding the shed keys etc.

Happy so far, let's see if I can stay awake until the kids are in bed.

Update: took ten minutes longer to get back, I expected to get a boost once I passed my old office, but my legs were having none of it.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As the weather lady on the tellyboxthingy said lastnight, today's commute was a rather wet one. Not very heavy rain or cold so that was a little bonus I suppose. But wet never the less.

So, rainy commute #16 for the year to date.
2018 31 in the same period of time, 53 over all.

Johnno260

Veteran
Well I need a helmet cam to make money as I see too many things like this!

Today's wally of the commute, I was waiting at some traffic lights and the lights were green, some lady ran between parked cars and into the side of a car turning right, she bounced off and sat on the floor and started raging at the driver, she did walk off, and I gave my number to the driver in case he needed a witness for anything, some peoples stupidity still astounds me.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Mildly moist commute through the Northants leg, for some reason the roads were very quite. Proper raining by the time I reached old London time, by contrast very heavy traffic so lots of filtering and sprinting to fit through gaps. No emergency braking required so I've not yet had to test my disc brakes out in the rain. Cycling kit now hopefully drying in the changing room, ready to get soaked on the return leg ...

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nearly clipped by this fast close pass today as he cut in - duly reported and the Police will be sending a warning/advisory letter.

Attachments

• YT64 KGV.jpg
    YT64 KGV.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
As I predicted it was properly wet last night. I thought I had got away with it on the London leg as the rain had eased off. A different story when I got off the train at Wellingborough ... wind, horizontal rain etc I am not sure I'm ready for winter commuting yet. The only benefit was a 15 mph tail wind which helped push me home in a decent time. The bike is going to need some tlc tonight.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Last nights commute! Well I can only describe it as biblical. The rain was so very heavy. Completely bonkers. I could only laugh at myself cycling home in what was more akin to a tropical monsoon. At times I couldn't even see the rain was so heavy. But it wasn't cold and a stiff southerly made for a fairly raid, completely drowned rat arsed ride home. Bloody good fun though.

This morning was a completely different picture. Bright sunny day..Better make the most of it as it's looking wet gain for tomorrow and Thursday.
However, after so much rain there was a lot of flooding so traffic in my part of SE Londinium was at a standstill in places.

With last nights wet ride
Rainy commute # 17 for the year to date.
Last year for the same period 31 wet ones.

rivers

How far can I go?
Absolutely pissing it down this morning. And I had to take the summer bike in as we have Dr. Bike in today, and I had booked it in last week for a final check over before Chase the Sun. But, the mechanic was actually excited to be working on a nice bike that's well taken care of as opposed to most of the other bikes in for a tune-up.

Sixmile

Veteran
On the contrary, my last two commutes have been dry and pleasant. I felt as fit as a flea yesterday on the way in only to realise that I'd a 12mph wind with me all the way, which then I rode into all the way home. I'd a kind motorist shout obscenitys at me at a mini roundabout although I'd totally no interaction with him or his precious vehicle. This morning was another pleasant ride in, i felt fit as a flea..

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Caned it on the way home last night, assisted for a change by a following wind, as I could see the sky blackening and at various times what appeared to be rain pouring down some miles from my location. Arrived home dry on the outside, sweaty on the inside and within half an hour sunshine. :wacko:
Hammering it down this morning at my usual departure time, so delayed for a few minutes and bike, train, bike.

Bazzer

Horrible close pass on the way home tonight. Traffic in central Manchester managed to give me room so why can't some tw@t on a much quieter road from the railway station! :angry: Hopefully Cheshire police see it my way.

Bazzer

Horrible close pass on the way home tonight. Traffic in central Manchester managed to give me room so why can't some tw@t on a much quieter road from the railway station! :angry: Hopefully Cheshire police see it my way.

rivers

How far can I go?

Loads of idiots on the road today it seems. I had several close passes on my way home.
In other news, bike received a clean bill of health, nothing loose or wobbly (as suspected), and everything in good nick. Front mech was adjusted ever so slightly, so all should be well for next week. Stopped in Halfords on the way home to get some new cleats as my left cleat is a bit worn, and engaging/disengaging is a bit harder work than I would like on a 205 mile ride

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I thought I would get away with a nice dry ride home yesterday evening. How wrong I was. Well it was nice and dry for at least 2/3rd of it. Got to about 5 miles from home when the heaven's decided to let go with the rain with a vengeance. An almighty cloudburst ensued and ended up with a right old soggy bottom.
Was there any point spending half an hour during the day cleaning and re-lubing the bike? :rolleyes:^_^

This mornings ride in was fair and mild. But it's looking like it may be another wet one with more heavy showers forecast.

So scores on the doors
Rainy commute #18 for the year
Same period last year, 31 rainy commutes.

Top Bottom