Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Anyone know why Southwark Bridge Road is closed at the junction with Borough Road, by the railway bridge?

Was closed on my way home last night and my way in today, with police tape (and police officers in attendance).

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Quite a pleasant ride home today. Dry, with a gentle breeze largely behind me, no nobbers and broke into my emergency stash of jelly beans, not because I needed to, but because I wanted to.:blush:
Bonus was getting home and opening an email from Cheshire police confirming action is to be taken against yesterday's close passer.:okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anyone know why Southwark Bridge Road is closed at the junction with Borough Road, by the railway bridge?

Was closed on my way home last night and my way in today, with police tape (and police officers in attendance).
Apparently it was bits falling off the bridge.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yet another commute home with torrential rain. It was just ridiculous. I was stopped at a light and I just had to laugh at myself and the situation. I think stair rods is the expression. Who in their right mind likes cycling in such extreme weather? Well I suppose I do. It would be a different situation though if it wasn't warm (ish) summer rain.

mirroring the last three days. The mornings commute has been dry, but more rain forecast later.

So.
Rainy commute #19 for the year to date
Last year, 31 in the same period, 53 over all for 2018.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
It was gently raining as I left work yesterday. Within 5 minutes it was tipping it down, and soft ollies here was in regular gear, not even a rainjacket.

The only concession I'd made to the rain was putting my Sealskinz "waterproof" socks on. They are still drying out this morning.

I've put a poncho in my panniers today, so I can get alliteratively soaked in the way home tonight.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Still raining in Shropshire and not too warm for summer. Had to take 3rd choice route today as normal lane is closed for surface dressing :angry: and route 2 will be flooded. Got to work soaking wet luckily bosses wife who also works here likes the heating on most of the year so stuff should dry nicely for ride home.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Had a little discussion on the wet way home yesterday- was tired and hungry after work and 5-a-side but handled it okay- I had a defensive position to keep near the middle of the lane because there were bollards in the middle of the road (for one of those crossing islands). Got a nice toot from the car behind, who then over took and then slowed, wound down the window and took issue with me.

Quite an interesting one because he didn't seem properly angry, just frustrated, said I wasn't being reasonable. I explained why I was where I was and acknowledged that it's an awkward part of the road, was quite pleased with the interaction because although it had no conclusion as such, I think by not shouting at him I've hopefully helped him see things from a cyclist's perspective. Or who knows.

I think a lot of the time motorists are just wound up from sitting in their metal cage for so long!

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
It was gently raining as I left work yesterday. Within 5 minutes it was tipping it down, and soft ollies here was in regular gear, not even a rainjacket.

The only concession I'd made to the rain was putting my Sealskinz "waterproof" socks on. They are still drying out this morning.

I've put a poncho in my panniers today, so I can get alliteratively soaked in the way home tonight.

I've got Sealskins for running- they do a pretty good job but if there's enough water it still finds a way in eventually!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've got Sealskins for running- they do a pretty good job but if there's enough water it still finds a way in eventually!

This.. however, they do keep yer tootsies nice an warm.
I wear my sealskinz socks even on dry winter days to keep the digits warm. Saves faffing about with over shoes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Finally, an evening commute this week in the dry. Made for a pleasant ride home. This mornings commute looked like it was going to be a wet one but it decided to stay dry... well apart from a couple of minutes of fine drizzle. Let's call it a dry one anyway.

On my way home last night I was undertaking a row of backed up slowly moving traffic (I was in a cycle lane), I noticed that everytime I started to pass a certain car. (don't recollect the make) A little light came on in their nearside wing mirror to indicate I was there and passing. Never seen this before and thought it was quite clever.

Some sort of protest going on in SE Londinium this morning. Lot's of what looks like climate change protesters blocking some major junctions in the area. Causing a right old mess with the traffic.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another damp undertyre commute this morning , then it looks like someone has tried driving up one section of a shared cyclepath and spread half the verge and undergrowth along it for about half a mile

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Get back on your bike, said my wife, after I drove to work (for good reasons) on Tuesday & Wednesday.

So, yesterday was a trifle damp morning and evening. I spotted this poor mobile phone addict in slow-moving traffic & to my surprise the police want to send a Notice of Intended Prosecution. The traffic behind her was very slow-moving indeed too, because she completely failed to keep up with the vehicles in front of her, such was her attention to the phone.

Today I popped off to a breakfast meeting (chiefly dry) then off to the office (very wet) !

The rain certainly thins out the number of cyclists on the road.
BE10 NNO Phone addict.png

Johnno260

Veteran
Got ranted at for going into a primary position on a blind corner to stop someone overtaking, I could hear on coming traffic.

It didn’t help when I tried to explain my actions at the red lights, work colleague behind the ranting muppet said I was stupid for coming further into the road as well.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Got ranted at for going into a primary position on a blind corner to stop someone overtaking, I could hear on coming traffic.

It didn’t help when I tried to explain my actions at the red lights, work colleague behind the ranting muppet said I was stupid for coming further into the road as well.

Makes you wonder whether these people ever passed a driving test !

Top Bottom