Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Not only was the commute dry but it was also in sunshine ! The morning started badly when I discovered my cycling shoes were still damp after the soaking they received on Tuesday evening. Should really have left them by the Aga to dry but I was in such a foul mood on Tuesday evening that I did not think about it. After this things picked up, two good rides and no unpleasant interactions with any cars.
Cycling away from St Pancras I was overtaken by an ebike, this does not bother me, each to their own but I was surprised to see that the guy was barely peddling at all, I guess he must have had the assist turned up to full.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Glorious, beautiful, warm, sunny sunshine this morning for the commute.
Not much to report apart from it was a great ride in.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
whssign.JPG

rivers

How far can I go?
I wasn't going to cycle today as I have Chase the Sun this weekend. But, I couldn't be asked with the buses as the final bus I need to get to work is now on an hourly basis (instead of every 10 minutes), now that the students are gone. And I didn't feel like walking the final mile to work. So I took my bike, deliberately not wearing my HRM monitor as it was going to be "a gentle ride in". Bollocks to that, took 17 seconds off my best time into work, drenched in sweat. Whoops... maybe I should have put the HRM on to keep me in check.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I am surprised to hear that the police are seeking to prosecute yesterday's BMW driver for overtaking me in the face of oncoming traffic.

I have had far worse overtakes where the driver's been sent a warning letter.

I am impressed by your delicate use of language, I tent to be much more industrial in these situations. I guess the presence of the audio feed has a restraining influence !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I am impressed by your delicate use of language, I tent to be much more industrial in these situations. I guess the presence of the audio feed has a restraining influence !

Thank you - yes I think that knowing it might be used in court helps.

I do sometimes use the f-word when endangered. Nothing wrong with showing how alarmed you are (although I am not one to shout or scream) !

Zanelad

Guru
My first commute for 3 weeks today. A week off, and then 2 weeks of incessant rain conspired to keep me in the car or on the bus. Today, revealed clear blue skies, a gentle breeze and near perfect temperature (for me) for cycling. It's great to be back on the bike.

Well after my first weeks commuting/ridding a bike in nearly 3 months and on a new destination, I find I am a stone overweight at least, my heart rate is now on average 15 BPM higher and I have lost 20 watts on average.
Strangely before when my heart rate was over 160 I knew I was going for it,( what I use to call my race pace heart rate) 140 was my swift commute BPM, This morning my avg was 154 and now It does not feel bad at all. I decided to give a short Strava section a bash on my new commute route, flippin avg heart rate was 178! my max is supposed to be around 183. I did not feel smashed though.
Another thing I have learnt on my new commute is no matter how fast you think you are are going a unexpected person will suddenly whizz past you maybe on a MTB or a Boris bike . Not suprising as the sections near work ( Tower Bridge) I see 20x more people or so on them than my old commute .
I am fairly suprised at the lack of bad riding, nearly all people seem to be riding in straight lines and looking before overtaking and slowing down for zebra crossings etc.

BromyG

Veteran
Usually nothing to report during my commuting, but unhappily two incidents this morning! Pulled up at red crossroad traffic lights intending to proceed straight on. Large 4x4 stopped opposite with no indicators showing. Lights changed to green, set off straight across only to be confronted by the said 4x4 turning right, immediately across my path; slammed the brakes on, unclipped and just managed to stop hitting him broadside before he disappeared up the road without any hesitation, leaving me stood in the middle of the junction. Slightly shaken by the near miss, got the train into London and continued my commute to the office, only to be cut up in Northumberland Avenue by another cyclist who, dodging through the traffic, missed knocking me off my bike by less than half an inch, before racing off up the road and through the red traffic lights at Trafalgar Square. Glad not every morning is so stressful - need a coffee now! :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I also had a twattish 4x4 driver encounter this morning. I was at the head of some temporary traffic lights. Lights go green. I go, 4x4 goes. Tries to overtake me in a single lane restricted space. I gave him some of my finest anglo saxon.

Apart from that, what a beautiful day to cycle. I was up and out earlier then usual so I managed to hit the roads before the majority of the school run traffic. Made for great, quick progress. Made easier by bumping into another commuting pal 'Fast Lee'. I hung on to his coat tails for all I was worth. Whilst trying to hold a conversation with him whilst I was trying to skin breath. Marvellous stuff.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Cycling away from St Pancras I was overtaken by an ebike, this does not bother me, each to their own but I was surprised to see that the guy was barely peddling at all, I guess he must have had the assist turned up to full.

You were another scalp for him then .

My commute today was in glorious sunshine again , all the dog walkers were behaved .

A women i see on a regular basis with 2 Doberman type dogs was frantically calling one of them as it was nowhere in sight hope she found it

Sixmile

Veteran
I made a late call to cycle to school with the kids. I'd the bikes pulled out of the garage, getting them ready when mine fell over with the hamax seat attached. Unfortunately my helmet was hanging off the handlebars with glasses attached, which snapped the said glasses when the bike landed. Added to that, the back wheel dislodged so it had to be hurriedly attached again. Less than a mile into the commute, when i changed to the big rear cog, the chain slipped off. The mech must've been damaged when the bike fell. I had to try and lift my 5 yo off the rear seat without using now oily hands, as the bike lent against a wall. We were then back in action for a glorious few miles on to school, arriving only 5 or so minutes late. Once the drop off was complete, my wind assisted 12 mile commute to work was cracking, all apart from gearing which certainly now needs attention.

Top Bottom