Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

To echo what has already been said, you need to change the camera angle. I presume the camera is attached to a harness to your chest, because if it is on your helmet, there is something seriously amiss.
You need to have the camera so that it is recording (largely) what you see. This is likely to mean either on your bars or on your helmet. There are positives and negatives to both positions; weight for example.
In the clip you have linked to, even if the driver had caught your front wheel, there is nothing to link the incident to the car or driver other than the colour of the car, so your reliance would be upon witnesses. And in my personal experience, whilst a motorist giving up another one has happened, it isn't the norm.
If you look at @Arjimlad 's clips (with one exception I haven't posted mine, but they are similar), the registration plate (and in the case of mobile use, the driver as well), can be seen. That way if the police decide to take action, they will write to the registered owner of the vehicle and ask for the driver's details.

Edit: You could look at getting a gimbal for your camera, but that is likely to be expensive. A cheaper alternative would be something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/STUNTMAN-P...ocphy=9044953&hvtargid=pla-374642032714&psc=1

Last edited:
I am not say its raining a lot here but I just ran into a old man building a boat and collecting two of each animal.

I need better rain gear! I have gortex waterproof boots but they are insulated for winter riding so I have gone back to old over boots. Unfortunately the over boots don't play well with SPD SL cleats . I have waterproof trousers but they don't breath well. My best piece of kit is my gortex rain jacket, it works a charm.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Did your legs feel especially naked and vulnerable? I get that after the first transition from longs to shorts each year - doesn't make sense, there's not much protection in half a mm of lycra bibtights.

Yeah. I'm really reluctant to go from legwarmers to shorts and partly for this reason. I'll usually spend a couple of weeks wearing a short sleeved jersey but retain the warmers until it gets proper warm.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Nothing to report apart from the fact its a bit miserable weather wise. Set off in bibshorts and cycling t shirt at 6 am and was thinking that more layers may have been appropriate. To think it was over 30 degrees when I was working in Amsterdam yesterday, some of that weather would be nice.

Randombiker9

To echo what has already been said, you need to change the camera angle. I presume the camera is attached to a harness to your chest, because if it is on your helmet, there is something seriously amiss.
You need to have the camera so that it is recording (largely) what you see. This is likely to mean either on your bars or on your helmet. There are positives and negatives to both positions; weight for example.
In the clip you have linked to, even if the driver had caught your front wheel, there is nothing to link the incident to the car or driver other than the colour of the car, so your reliance would be upon witnesses. And in my personal experience, whilst a motorist giving up another one has happened, it isn't the norm.
If you look at @Arjimlad 's clips (with one exception I haven't posted mine, but they are similar), the registration plate (and in the case of mobile use, the driver as well), can be seen. That way if the police decide to take action, they will write to the registered owner of the vehicle and ask for the driver's details.

Edit: You could look at getting a gimbal for your camera, but that is likely to be expensive. A cheaper alternative would be something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/STUNTMAN-P...ocphy=9044953&hvtargid=pla-374642032714&psc=1

Thanks I’ve tried it on my handlebars before but that kept loosing the screw so camera kept falling off.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thanks I’ve tried it on my handlebars before but that kept loosing the screw so camera kept falling off.

I use one of these on the bars with a small adapter to convert it to a standard tripod-bush type thing. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Han...o-1-2-3-3-4-/122851708371?hash=item1c9a884dd3

However, this does not capture phone addicts in traffic, so for commuting, when I am most likely to encounter such, my Drift Stealth 2 is on my helmet with their universal clip and housing. When I am on a leisure ride or suchlike I have the camera on the bars on a mount like the one above.

icowden

Veteran
Really concerned that my fellow cyclists living in the south-east wearing leggings might spontaneously combust!
I haven't noticed a cold morning for months :-)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Really concerned that my fellow cyclists living in the south-east wearing leggings might spontaneously combust!
I haven't noticed a cold morning for months :-)
Indeed. I'm amazed some mornings when I'm sweating one out cycling to work there are others who are wearing the full winter commuting regalia still. I asked one such cyclist why. He replied that rain was forecast. Each to their own I suppose.

Reactions: C R

Sixmile

Veteran
Lovely, just lovely ride in this morning. I spent an hour or two last night tinkering with the bike giving it a good old clean, lube, setting brakes, a bit more air in its circular lungs and fitted my wheel holder to my Seasucker so i can carry the front wheel on the roof instead of in the boot. Although I will be cautious in its use, as now i realise the whole bike is available for an opportunist.

Randombiker9

I use one of these on the bars with a small adapter to convert it to a standard tripod-bush type thing. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Han...o-1-2-3-3-4-/122851708371?hash=item1c9a884dd3

However, this does not capture phone addicts in traffic, so for commuting, when I am most likely to encounter such, my Drift Stealth 2 is on my helmet with their universal clip and housing. When I am on a leisure ride or suchlike I have the camera on the bars on a mount like the one above.
Thanks
What are those?

Top Bottom