Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Yesterdays commute home was a turning point. First time in months when I was able to leave work at 4pm and cycle home in good daylight. So much so that I took a little rural detour to got home for 4:30 and it was not pitch black. I know we are still mid winter but for me thats the first step on the road towards summer. Marvellous.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Beautiful full moon rising and Venus resplendent opposite on the way home tonight.

Mike_P

Guru
Yesterdays commute home was a turning point. First time in months when I was able to leave work at 4pm and cycle home in good daylight.
On the other hand though it's got darker in the mornings, last couple of weeks I've had the definite need to put the lights on for my just after 8am commute.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
On the other hand though it's got darker in the mornings, last couple of weeks I've had the definite need to put the lights on for my just after 8am commute.

I prefer the ride home to be in light allowing a nice leisurely detour. The cycle into work doesnt bother me because its always direct from point A to point B.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Really nice commute in to work this morning. Even the motorised traffic played nicely.

But... it's looking pretty horrific for the commute home this evening. I would say that headwind will be a little testing.
1578910755101.png

T675Rich

I'm back to cycling to work a couple of times after a very lazy holiday and I'm finding it quite hard but I'm sure I'll be back to the (low) level I was before. I generally do ok for people passing me too close on my commute but it seemed to be a bad morning. One far too close which made me wonder what the point was as the light a little way up was changing to red until I saw him speed through it after it had changed..

The one that really annoyed me was the minibus driver who overtook too close then pulled in quick and nearly took me off just to join a queue a few seconds faster to which I may have shouted something involving a swear word, I went past, they then did it again just before the next lights which were red. I got alongside them and they had wound their window down and shouted that they had kids on the bus, that ok then. I asked if they were a professional driver and if they knew how much space to give cyclists to which they said yes so I asked them to do it in future then.

First commute of the year today due to holiday over New Year and flu ever since! This commute also nearly never happened. Shake down of the bike on the weekend revealed seized rear wheel bearings, the wheel was depending on just the grease around the thru axle to revolve. Luckily I have spare wheels.
Then this morning the front tyre flat!!! it was solid last night, queue yet another wheel change, the tyre on this needed pumping up as been unused for over 6 months. I do a half drive half cycle at the moment, got to my parking spot pulled the bike out, front flat again!. Its tubeless so blew it up and gave it a shake to throw the sealant around.
Luckily it sealed whatever was going on. Cycle in was great! felt brilliant. Hopefully I do not have a flat before gong home.

Tomorrows afternoon forecast looks crap for East London, 45mph winds and heavy rain . dont think I will be commuting tomorrow.

Mike_P

Guru
Skipped home at lunch before the gales hit. Due to dead ebike:sad: the road bike equipped with slime filled tubes got a trip on the commuter run for the first time. Deliberately avoided steep bits so a full mile further altogether than the normal 3.5 mile round commute.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Any good? My jacket held ok, but good loads of water down my neck due to the headwind. I got soaked in the 12 minutes it took me to get home.

OK, here goes - full review - 40 minute journey:

Buff under helmet- ok , kept me warm and it stops rivers going direct into my eyes which I find can sting so much as to be dangerous, but wish I'd had my casquette to keep rain more off my glasses and minimise glare from oncoming cars.

Showers Pass jacket - absolutely excellent, amazingly nearly totally dry underneath.

Planet X crab claw gloves (with Gore liner gloves for extra warmth) - very good, kept dry and just about warm enough.

Cheapo planet x bib tights- would like them a little warmer for winter really. Ok.

Seal skin waterproof socks: just about ok, kept worst out but proper over shoes needed for any longer ride in these conditions.

Top Bottom