Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The cold weather continues, the Fahrenheit and Celsius have come together (-40) . Odds are bicycle free January continues.

I've got a staff social at lunch in the city centre, I refuse to pay exorbitant NCP parking charges on top of paying for my own lunch (NHS staffers don't get freebies) neither can I take the whole journey by bicycle, I'm expected back into the office promptly after lunch, so I'm mixing up my car and brompton today to dodge inner city parking. As I unfolded faithful brommie for the short ride from the car to the office, I saddled up and realised immediately that I haven't pumped the tyres in 3 months. Shameful, I'm usually fastidious about my maintenance, but this time I made the decision to go out on it last minute! :shy:

I do have a CO2 canister with me, but sadly not one that will work with the Schrader valves. :wacko: Luckily brommie frames come with a hand pump which I got to try out for the first time here at the desk, although I've no idea how close to ideal pressure I go them, it'll have to do, because after all that pumping, there's no way I'm paying parking fees. :laugh:

Hand pump gets 3 out of 5 stars. It's functional, but the locking hinge is a little flimsy and awkward to use, catching on the spokes. I like that it's always there on the frame, though that's not any benefit to me because I always carry a backpack with all my bits in as I swap between various bikes a fair bit.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No wind or rain this morning. the return leg will not be so good though

Indeed.
1578994013985.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
"Interesting" ride home this afternoon with the gusty wind. Touching just under 40mph on a very short downward slope without trying, having to brake more than usual on the approach to junctions to avoid being blown through them, a couple of moments where the front wheel got blown sideways and using parts of the cassette I didn't even know existed!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I believe the air quality in Melbourne is about to dramatically improve! :smile: This large and heavy band of rain followed me home, and hit the house 5 minutes after I walked inside.

View attachment 500548
The only problem with this rain is that it's headed for the fire areas in Victoria and NSW, where although it will no doubt help put out some fires, it's also expected to cause flash flooding, landslides, and wash ash into rivers which may cause mass fish deaths. :sad:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well this morning was a complete wash and wind out. If Im not riding, you know its bad. I wouldnt have been able to stay on the bike for my 19km commute. I certainly would not have missed the debris all over the road.
I have to get 20km in today. Hopefully I can manage it in the light this afternoon.

Top Bottom