Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Horrible ride topped off with rain ! Having a day off tomorrow
A few patches of clearish sky in the Penrith area yesterday; lots of snow on the higher tops as well🌬. My first first ride to work for a while and it was nice to be out again...I even saw a Red Squirrel on the A592 near Stainton (happily alive🐿). Evil rain on the way back🌧 💦...my feet got the worst of it thanks to some humungous puddles. Halfway through winter now woohoo!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Ended up riding seeing as everything had calmed down, glorious sunshine this afternoon with a splash of hailstone 😆

rivers

How far can I go?
A lovely -5 on the way to work this morning. I opted for the main roads as I wasn't sure how the railway path would be. I should have chanced it on the path. Drivers were absolutely awful this morning. B2B it is tomorrow

I thought I had packed everything last night but on pulling the bike out of the car at Rainham I found I had left my shoes on the dam radiator at home.
Cycling on SPD pedals with ultra soft Salomon speedcross running shoes was interesting, my right heel kept hitting the chainstay on the right hand side every now and then. Couldn’t go mad as I was worried my feet would fly off the pedals. Managed the whole journey with no pedal/shoe interface incidents, just got to do it on the way home.

Mike_P

Guru
Due to the back issue and the availability of free parking for a couple of days near the office no use of the bike at the end of last week but back issue seemed a lot better late yesterday, i.e. I could get a pair of socks on without being in agony. Has made me wonder why we have not evolved to have multi jointed arms that extend to feet without bending, on the other hand (pun not intended) the cycling injuries would be emmense. Anyway all that rambling brings to a full commute circuit on the road bike today, complete with laptop on the return as its work at home in the morning and then suited into the office for an interview tomorrow afternoon, so again no bike. Applied for two jobs in the vane hope of getting one, if not then it's another interview at a future date with a possible P45 outcome:sad:

C R

Guru
Due to the back issue and the availability of free parking for a couple of days near the office no use of the bike at the end of last week but back issue seemed a lot better late yesterday, i.e. I could get a pair of socks on without being in agony. Has made me wonder why we have not evolved to have multi jointed arms that extend to feet without bending, on the other hand (pun not intended) the cycling injuries would be emmense. Anyway all that rambling brings to a full commute circuit on the road bike today, complete with laptop on the return as its work at home in the morning and then suited into the office for an interview tomorrow afternoon, so again no bike. Applied for two jobs in the vane hope of getting one, if not then it's another interview at a future date with a possible P45 outcome:sad:
Best of luck for the interview.

As @C R said, all the best for tomorrow afternoon.

Slartibartfast

Über Member
Was overtaken by a yellow Velomobile this morning, which doesn't happen everyday.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
GPS read -5 by the time I got in, only did 4 miles. Should have worn ski gloves, as liner gloves inside Sealskins Highlanders weren't enough to prevent painful cold hands. Took an icy back road but it still had some silly drivers on it.

Sixmile

Veteran
2nd morning in a row fat biking it into work. It's slower ride, better workout and an absolute ball ache to squeeze into the cleaners store at my work due to the width of the H bars.

A passat driver did a wide U turn on a main city road meaning he was coming towards me on the wrong side of the road in the bus lane. I seen it developing so had braked and went to maneuver around him. He had his window half down shouting 'you shouldn't be riding in this lane anyway' as he sat with his car in a bus lane pointing the opposite way to the direction of traffic. He looked like the kind of fella who actually just would not fully grasp or appreciate me actually pointing out the facts and wouldn't have made a titter of difference so i just rode on after just shouting a quick 'wise up'.

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
Used the main roads on the way in yesterday, rather than my usual route using lanes and cycle trails. Main road route was 3 miles shorter, but not enjoyable at all due to the volume of traffic.

I took my usual route home, there were a few patches of mist, until I turned onto the track along the river Brue; rode into a bank of fog that was the thickest I've ever ridden in. Very disorienting, but luckily it lifted at the far end of the track.

IMG_20200121_174903679.jpg

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I had a few days on the bus last week due to various reasons- the first day was like luxury, sitting back with a book and music and relaxing. The next two were fantastic reminders of some of the reasons to cycle- buses cancelled and slow and stuck in traffic. Back on the bike yesterday, the fair weather bike, and it felt good

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of those weird weather days today. A fine mist was in the air making everything so bleedin' wet. It might as well have been raining. The temperature gauge was showing warmer temps then yesterday but due to the wetness it felt much colder.

The motor traffic in SE London is slowly coming to a complete standstill. I did 16 miles this morning and for most of those miles I seemed to be overtaking backed up traffic. Utter madness.

Top Bottom