Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not posted in here for a while but todays commute is worth noting for several reasons...
  1. Had to help a colleague get his bike roadworthy for the trip home before I too left the bike shed this morning. He had swapped in an old emergency rear wheel last night after finding his tubeless tyre flat. Unfortunately this had caused some problems with the disc brake which had somehow managed to eat the spring plate. Luckily I managed to pop the spring out and leave functioning brakes to allow him to get home :okay:
  2. This was the 4th of 4 commutes, meaning I had done a full set without resorting to the car despite some atrocious weather, and still grinning! ^_^
  3. I rode home this morning with some trepidation after it occurred to me in the wee small hours that today, 26th Feb, is exactly 2yrs since I was knocked off my bike on the ride home from work by an inattentive driver. The resulting broken neck and fractured skull didn't stop me from getting back on my bike again (eventually) but I still regularly wonder if I should ride on the busy roads when I think about the narrow escape I had from my brush with death or paralysis!
Note to self: Tubeless tyres are not real world practical!!!

rivers

How far can I go?
Not posted in here for a while but todays commute is worth noting for several reasons...
  1. Had to help a colleague get his bike roadworthy for the trip home before I too left the bike shed this morning. He had swapped in an old emergency rear wheel last night after finding his tubeless tyre flat. Unfortunately this had caused some problems with the disc brake which had somehow managed to eat the spring plate. Luckily I managed to pop the spring out and leave functioning brakes to allow him to get home :okay:
Note to self: Tubeless tyres are not real world practical!!!
Why did you have to change out the entire wheel? Pop the tyre off, put a tube in, inflate and re-fit the wheel. It's a little messy, but that's it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why did you have to change out the entire wheel? Pop the tyre off, put a tube in, inflate and re-fit the wheel. It's a little messy, but that's it.
I don't know why, it wasn't me! I guess coming to his bike at his usual departure time and finding the tyre flat and unable to inflate meant the quickest solution (and least messy!!!) was the alternative wheel option?

The mess alone is a valid reason to avoid tubeless IMO.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Snow, sleet, hail and damn wind still greeting me on this mornings commute along with a fallen tree on the NCN55 near Bolton.
Better ride this evening though, spring is on its way......... I hope 😳
7DDB88AC-5565-4B79-B319-AD9D86B7FF70.jpeg

GetFatty

Über Member
Wet, cold, dark. But this being the 3rd day of commuting this week (after over a month off) I'm feeling fitter than I was on Monday and Tuesday so still in a happy frame of mind! Just hoping to get my kit dry by lunchtime when I'm planning on "relocating my working environment"

straas

Matt
Expected snow and / or ice this morning, so was almost pleasant to just have rain.

Wish there was some sort of enforcement on 20mph roads, I always maintain around 20 on them and get overtaken at what feels like 40.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Felt utterly drained as I left work tonight, but whilst dragging my sorry and unwilling carcass up a hill, the magnificent sight of Venus in close conjunction with a sliver of crescent moon hoved into view.

The lifting of my spirits was completed by the celestial wonders being serenaded by the loud hooting of at least two owls, sight unseen.

I dawdled the remaining miles home gazing in wonderment at the heavenly splendour, and quite forgot my weary limbs.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What an amazing change in weather for the commute home. Where it was cold, wet and grim this morning. This evening's commute started in sunshine before dusk. Was dry and no wind. It made for a really great ride home.

Top Bottom