Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My mastery of the weather gods continues: very pleasant bright albeit cold ride in, just a tiny bit of slush on the road, but hills white with snow.

Got changed, emerged from changing room, lashing down with sleet.

I'm due my comeuppance very, very soon.

And true to form, the weather gods punish me for my hubris.

Left the house in the dry this morning, only to meet 40 minutes of driving sleet into a strong headwind.

Definitively the most unpleasant commute of the entire winter.

C R

Guru
And true to form, the weather gods punish me for my hubris.

Left the house in the dry this morning, only to meet 40 minutes of driving sleet into a strong headwind.

Definitively the most unpleasant commute of the entire winter.
I gave up today, first car commute since September. It isn't particularly bad, just heavy rain and a bit cold, but somehow I just couldn't face it.

straas

Matt
Took both panniers in yesterday because of Lidls French specialbuy week - went a bit mad

2kg of pommes noisette
bottle of normandie cider
20 mini filled crepes
2 pack ham and cheese croissant
jam pastries
2 pack mini salami
Camembert
munster cheese
canal AOP cheese
pack of breaded cheeses for baking
profiteroles

definitely didn't make me enjoy the headwind on the way home.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My usual ten mile route was very nice today although I had to go very carefully along Shellard's Lane which was more like riding along a stream. It wasn't up to the BB though, which was good.

At last some sunshine and a dry forecast so the waters should subside !

rivers

How far can I go?
I just finished getting everything together for this morning's commute, and I was just enjoying my morning coffee, when our Airbnb guest informed us that our dog had helped herself to his dark chocolate bar. 10 minutes later, I'm in the car, in my lycra on my way to the vets. No coffee, no cycling. Today can do one

ukoldschool

drafted a roadie on the way back to Blackfriars the other day, all good, got a nice tow (which is useful on a brompton with a full bag on the front acting like reverse sail...) but then he went through a puddle...... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

straas

Matt
I just finished getting everything together for this morning's commute, and I was just enjoying my morning coffee, when our Airbnb guest informed us that our dog had helped herself to his dark chocolate bar. 10 minutes later, I'm in the car, in my lycra on my way to the vets. No coffee, no cycling. Today can do one

How's the dog?

Mine once ate a disposable shaving razor!

dhd.evans

Veteran
Someone lost a wing mirror this morning. It wasn't me.

Chap tried to squeeze through a gap, flegged me and as I steadied myself caught his wing mirror with my hand. How much is a close pass worth? about £30 apparently.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I got soaked riding to work just now, with light to moderate rain for the whole 1 hour commute.

Melbourne's weather has been odd lately: after one of the hottest Decembers ever (which is our first month of summer over here), and with thick smoke from massive bushfires covering Melbourne, January and February were completely different (a welcome change, actually). In my part of Melbourne, the January rainfall total was almost triple the long-term average, and February rain was about double the long-term average. January was a lot cooler than December, and February had average maxima about 2 degrees lower than the long-term average. I also just noticed that my area received about 42mm of rain in the last 8 hours.
:rain:

I've done a "cannelloni wrap" of various bits of cycling clothing, and my cycling shoes, using newspaper, so they're not too soggy when I put them on to ride home. This weekend, when I'm not too busy packing for my upcoming house move (Friday next week), I'll be giving the poor bike a very thorough clean.

Today's ride was trivial. The ebike makes sure of that. I always arrive feeling like I've still had a work out. So weird because you just don't feel it at the time and there no sweating to deal with after. I left my beanie hat in the washing machine last night, so too damp to wear on my commute today. Surprisingly I need not have worried, my melon didn't feel the cold much, but on account of the misty fog, my bike, trousers and hair were a bit damp on arrival. Nothing a quick pat down wouldn't dissipate. Funny old weather. Very much looking forward to spring. Tantalisingly close now. :okay:

Top Bottom