Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Snapped the chain on the Bootzipper on the way in this afternoon. Thankfully it was only a couple of miles from home so a quick scoot back to change bikes and made it to work on time. Having checked the price of 12 speed chains, all I can say is :ohmy:

I've noticed that all bike parts seem to have shot up in price over the last few weeks? I like to have a set of drivetrain spares ready to swap out if I get a problem but some parts are double what I paid for them only a few months ago (freewheel, crankset etc.).

I wondered if it was anything to do with the Suez canal hold up or maybe Brexit? Or is it just normal for this time of year?

C R

Guru
Snapped the chain on the Bootzipper on the way in this afternoon. Thankfully it was only a couple of miles from home so a quick scoot back to change bikes and made it to work on time. Having checked the price of 12 speed chains, all I can say is :ohmy:
View attachment 581650
It isn't just the price, availability is rather patchy with lots of components.

Yep, I've been waiting on a new bike since last Autumn. Supposed to be due next month but since I just got a goodie bag in the post from Trek apologising for the delay, I'm preparing for an even longer wait. A sales rep told me long lead times are primarily due to availability of the components. Since I put my order in, the same bike will set you back an additional £200, probably due to inflation in component pricing.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
As a keyholder for the office, I had a phone call at 0515 this morning from the alarm monitoring company about our alarm going off.

After driving the five miles there, meeting a rather lovely PC, sorting the alarm out, and driving home again, I had an early breakfast and did a 24-mile ride back into the office for a day at my proper desk. Makes a change from WFH !

Lovacott

Über Member
I'm back to starting my morning commute in the dark with the daylight starting to show about half way. Cycling around dawn is pretty awesome in the country if you are into wildlife.

The dawn chorus is deafening and it's the time of day when night time predators can catch early rising prey. I've seen two Barn Owls in full flight this week, one of them for a good ten seconds as it skirted the hedgerow ahead of me.

Pheasants are all over the place before dawn. They walk around in the roads but can't see a thing. On a bike, they don't hear you until the last second and one nearly flew straight into my face as I got close and startled it. I now make a point of calling out "beep beep" so that they can commence their panic flight before I get too close. It's Bat time again as they return to their barns and attics about half an hour before sunrise. One flew directly in front of me this morning and it was so close, I could have grabbed it out of the air.

I've also seen plenty of wild Roe Deer this week along with a handful of foxes and I've chased quite a few Hares along the road as well (by god, they can run).

The weather the last few days has been perfect. Chilly mornings, warm days.

This afternoon, I had the pleasure of a 15mph easterly pushing me home on my east to west commute ( a rarity in North Devon where the prevailing wind is a westerly).

It's a pretty special time of year for bike riding.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yep, I've been waiting on a new bike since last Autumn. Supposed to be due next month but since I just got a goodie bag in the post from Trek apologising for the delay, I'm preparing for an even longer wait. A sales rep told me long lead times are primarily due to availability of the components. Since I put my order in, the same bike will set you back an additional £200, probably due to inflation in component pricing.
You're not wrong about availablity - I've been looking for a replacement SRAM NX or GX Eagle chain that's in stock and available for delivery (rather than "with supplier") and they seem to be rarer than hens' teeth.

A few days ago on the way to work:

2021_03_31_Commute_Kaiserstuhl.jpg

The hill is called the "Kaiserstühl" or Emperor's Seat" and the latitude and the hills give a unique Mediterranean climate to the region, apparently good for wine growing and also unusual creatures like Praying Mantisis..is... is. Mantises.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Raleigh Shopper dumped in the Pocket Park this morning, looked pretty tidy at a glance. Wasn't going to stop because I wanted to be at work a bit early. Maybe someone will adopt it.
Shopper.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Had to get all the winter gear out for this mornings commute. Leg warmers, Winter jacket, Wooly gloves and bobble hat. A tad chilly it was. The northern wind was a bit of a bind making the going quite tough. It should be quite nice for the return home though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Snowing when I left work. Unusual to have a wooly hat commute home in April.

Shopper bike was still there on the way home. Rear wheel is out of the dropouts so not wheel-able.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Snowing when I left work. Unusual to have a wooly hat commute home in April.

Shopper bike was still there on the way home. Rear wheel is out of the dropouts so not wheel-able.

Thankfully it had gone this evening, saved me 'having' to go out in the cold later with my wheel spanner to rescue it.

It wasn't a Raleigh btw. BSA.

Wooly hat both ways again. It was well cold this morning, lobster gloves on.

Top Bottom