Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I go past this most days. This bicycle has been locked to this street sign for over a year. At Christmas it was decorated with tinsel, after that someone attached a big heart with 'NHS' written in it to the top tube, then it was decorated for red nose day. Now Easter.

IMG_20210329_072224793.jpg

I go past this most days. This bicycle has been locked to this street sign for over a year. At Christmas it was decorated with tinsel, after that someone attached a big heart with 'NHS' written in it to the top tube, then it was decorated for red nose day. Now Easter.
here in the states, if someone dies on their bike, a white ghost bike is locked in the location where they died. do you guys do that there? I wonder what the purpose of this bike is

Solocle

Über Member
yikes! in traffic! sympathies. had similar happen on a remote trail 3 miles from my car. a stick flung up into the spokes/derailleur & spun it around in similar fashion, breaking it. came to a skidding stop. I was lucky & able to move parts around & mush the fender back enough to hoble back in 1 gear
View attachment 580835
The most significant similar I had was the derailleur doing exactly that. I was on Bridge End St in Leeds at the time... naturally, I couldn't pull over left, as there were sodding great barriers! So I actually had to pull over to the right hand side... :cycle:
Google Maps
Coincidentally the same ride where I negotiated the Armley Gyratory and nearly ended up on the A58(M) (well, "nearly" may be overdoing it, but I was certainly a bit lost!) Strava

here in the states, if someone dies on their bike, a white ghost bike is locked in the location where they died. do you guys do that there? I wonder what the purpose of this bike is
Yes, there are some ghost bikes here.
One I know of that I'd pass regularly - Google Maps
And the case - Oxford Mail

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo

We do ghost bikes in the UK. As you say ghost bikes are generally painted white. This practice is rarer out in the suburbs- they tend to appear in cities where there's more organization/ activism around cycling. Probably someone locked it there and left it.

Only accident involving a cyclist in that area that I could find was a minor injury.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Super warm for March. Could have worn shorts on the way home (didn't). Covid jab tomorrow so working from home- going to be nice, lunchtime nap likely.

Solocle

Über Member
Yesterday I took the car in because I was running late. As my ride that evening shows, that may have been a mistake...
B108A612-D0A1-462E-8D99-511D1C2839A6.jpeg

First ride of the year in nought but my skin(suit).

This morning, I didn't put on a jacket, and it was surprisingly bloody nippy! But lunchtime and the ride home should be glorious.

Tom B

Guru
Was working from a different location that i rarely use today. Turned my 6-8mile commute into a 17 mile ride in, 9mile lunch ride and a 42 mile ride home. Wish I'd chosen to take less kit now.

Perhaps pie and chips wasn't the best lunch.

Lunch Ride and ride home was to try and snag a few Veleviewer squares. Turned out to be a google / garmin mystery tour which took me down some skinny muddy footpaths. 70 pacey miles and a day at work as left me feeling battered and a bit bonky and sick when I got home. Again perhaps the pie and chips wasn't the best choice.

Still got my VV score to 99.539, Explorer max 16×16 with 1436 tiles in total. There are a couple of easy wins coming up soon.I remember getting to 16×16 and being pretty depressed because getting anything bigger was going to mean a lot of new squares, all out from my usual sphere (or circle) of riding. Slowly been picking few off and now have a 16×16 a couple of times that will grow quite nicely if i can pick a a few more off. Some of which are handily grouped. in blocks of 2×2 or along routes.

Something that promptly evaporated snagged into my front mudguard and smashed it off. The SKS breakaway mounts saving me from flying off - they've only lasted 7 yrs :ohmy::ohmy: - Ill have to use some of the spares I have from the replacement sets for the rear that I have in stock.

I was surprised by how light the traffic was at 6am, but then surprised how heavy it was at 1630.

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
Brilliant ride home Tuesday and I managed to knock 3 minutes off my PB for the route.

Yesterday though, I found it pretty tough going on the middle section, like I was riding into a 30mph headwind or something?

At one stage, I looked back at the freewheel to make sure that I really was on the largest sprocket and noticed that the rear tyre was about a third deflated. Popped in some air and off I went like a rocket.

I've got slime in my tubed tyres and I'd copped a thorn which had let out some air before the slime formed a seal. The tyre is still fully inflated this morning.

Top Bottom