Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Had to filter past traffic after leaving the Industrial Estate today. First time in a year I think.

Certainly the busiest it's been at the college I ride past, been getting busier all week. Now back to the double parked cars and badly positioned cars for dropoffs.

Also had a Royal Mail van drive at me as his side of the road was blocked by a parked car, so was mine but I could still fit past, however he just drove at me 30mph, luckily I managed to pull between two cars.

On a positive note the weather was lovely.

Bugger:cursing:

This happened on my ride to work today
I was just exiting a roundabout too, thankfully not too busy, as it was rather an undignified (& rapid) stop!!

I didn't take a photo of it, in the immediate post-incident, as I'd had to pull the chain out from between the cassette & spokes

It wasn't due to a derailleur hitting the spokes, as I was on the 4th (or 5th) sprocket

All I can assume is that, for some reason, the lower jockey-wheel bolt dropped out, & the chain 'swung' into the spokes, taking with it, the cage
Which then moved over, as the chain tensioned??

From it happening, it was only 50yards into the Hospital grounds
Embarrassingly, before entering the building, I had to ask a Paramedic crew (that I knew....) to unzip my chest pocket & take my mask out, or I'd have made a grotty mess of my jacket, with oily hands

'Clinell Wipes' are surprisingly effective at removing grease/oil from hands!!!
(almost as good as swarfega, mixed with Vim)

Damage;
Derailleur; as seen
Chain; bent & twisted at two points
Sacrificial drop-out; sheared (Just ordered new one, from Ribble)
Cable; shredded
Wheel; out of true, 2 spokes snapped at hub

As stated above, new hanger ordered
I'll take a derailleur off my old (disused) Ridley (not moved for 6 years+)
Chain; I bought a couple of new ones, from Decathlon, not too long ago
Wheel; 'the biggie'...............
1. I could have it respoked, but the freehub has play in it, & may have been further damaged by the chain 'forcing' its way behind cassette?
2. There's substantial play in the rear bearings (press-fits)
3. If I take those points into consideration, it may be almost as cheap to buy a new pair of wheels??

I had to phone SWMBO to come & pick me up, when I finished, as due to the twisted chain I couldn't even shorten it & go 'single-speed)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Normal commute into work this morning but had to finish early to go and get my first Covid jab. I thought I would risk the 18 miles to the Covid centre even though the weather was forecast “ grim” and many people I know who had had their first jabs advised against cycling that distance..... challenge accepted 😆
Time to leave work and the clouds parted and I happily followed my usual route along the NCN55 to Monton and then along the Bridgewater canal to Timperley. Lots of people out and about but still managed to do the route in just over an hour.
Got in earlier than booked and after having a cheeky coffee with my baby sister I headed back home with orders to let her know I was home safe ( 3 rings 😆)
Perfect ride home even with the wind past some football training ground which Man United kick a bag of air around, across the Manchester Ship Canal at Irlam locks and then on to Astley Moss. Stopped to enjoy the views and fussed a horse puppy which had grown since I last saw it. 40+ miles covered today and I made sure I let my 50 year baby sister I was home safe !
3C853CE9-A078-4427-A4F2-0CD52A7D4F43.jpeg

517A1164-FE78-4FD7-82D9-B6FC210FDC5F.jpeg

CF6FD28C-2D58-40F6-98D2-9EB4509D2D51.jpeg

677F1EC1-2F2A-4B6B-BE1C-103D5D63B3C9.jpeg

81A080DC-0434-468E-A380-2C2C7384D8C9.jpeg

FCE6553B-B497-458E-8268-61289E90E73B.jpeg

76415569-D57B-44C5-9352-11E0566B8C45.jpeg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Normal commute into work this morning but had to finish early to go and get my first Covid jab. I thought I would risk the 18 miles to the Covid centre even though the weather was forecast “ grim” and many people I know who had had their first jabs advised against cycling that distance..... challenge accepted 😆
Time to leave work and the clouds parted and I happily followed my usual route along the NCN55 to Monton and then along the Bridgewater canal to Timperley. Lots of people out and about but still managed to do the route in just over an hour.
Got in earlier than booked and after having a cheeky coffee with my baby sister I headed back home with orders to let her know I was home safe ( 3 rings 😆)
Perfect ride home even with the wind past some football training ground which Man United kick a bag of air around, across the Manchester Ship Canal at Irlam locks and then on to Astley Moss. Stopped to enjoy the views and fussed a horse puppy which had grown since I last saw it. 40+ miles covered today and I made sure I let my 50 year baby sister I was home safe !
View attachment 580724

View attachment 580725

View attachment 580726

View attachment 580727

View attachment 580728

View attachment 580729

View attachment 580730
The "3 rings" on the phone is so familiar!
Some of your pics looks a little unsual; is it a wide angle lens?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
@skudupnorth in photo 6 there is colliery winding gear I’m intrigued, where is it .

It’s the Lancashire mining museum at Astley, I absolutely love this place and the work the volunteers do is amazing. It should be open again on April 12th. It was used in the “ Peaky Blinders ” series

41DC0136-04BB-4B00-B3C5-41D75AD4CEC4.jpeg

0CACDEA5-EE34-4BEC-BE31-826E188CE174.jpeg

Last edited:
Bugger:cursing:This happened on my ride to work today
yikes! in traffic! sympathies. had similar happen on a remote trail 3 miles from my car. a stick flung up into the spokes/derailleur & spun it around in similar fashion, breaking it. came to a skidding stop. I was lucky & able to move parts around & mush the fender back enough to hoble back in 1 gear
fender and deraileur.jpg

yikes! in traffic! sympathies. had similar happen on a remote trail 3 miles from my car. a stick flung up into the spokes/derailleur & spun it around in similar fashion, breaking it. came to a skidding stop. I was lucky & able to move parts around & mush the fender back enough to hoble back in 1 gear
View attachment 580835

Crikey!! :eek::eek::eek:

Your bike's interlinked with mine!!
Glad you were away from traffic

I couldn't even single-speed mine, with chain bending to about 60 degrees

Hope you get it sorted easily/quickly!

Top Bottom