Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I left work early today with the intention of cycling all the way home- about 25 miles. and for the first time in my 6 years of commuting, the puncture fairy paid me a visit (on a commute). After about 20 minutes of fighting with my tyres, I got it back on and decided I would only cycle to temple meads.

IMG-20220831-WA0003.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-20220831-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20220831-WA0003.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20220831-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20220831-WA0003.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 3

Alex321

Veteran
Blooming hard commute in this morning, due to a combination of a headwind and low sun in my eyes. There were times I was cycling with one hand on the handlebars and the other shading my eyes, in order to be able to see more than 10 yards ahead. As a result, my average speed was one of the slowest for going in, at 15.5mph (I'm usually between 16.2 and 16.8 on the way in, between 15.3 and 15.7 on the way home.

But on the way home, the wind was still the same, so with a nice tail wind, and the sun high enough to be no issue, I had the fastest ride home I've ever had, at 16.5mph. I think that is the first time ever I've been faster on the way home than the way in (there is 50m more climbing on the way home, and one climb which is significantly harder and slower than anything on the way in, plus the usual wind direction is tailwind on the way in, headwind home).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
replacing the chain on the carrera vanquish when i noticed the wheel was out of true , started playing with the spoke key and noticed a few cracks around the nipples , erm some are worse than others !
i do check the bike for damage regularly so this is recent ( last full check about 3-4 weeks ago ) , a good job i spotted it as it could have been interesting if the wheel went boom whilst riding

EDIT popped into the local halfords who said their tech sheet doesnt tell them what spec the wheel is , staff helpful and said if i bought it in they can get another wheel but nothing i cant do myself
1662196590775.png

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thankfully today was incident free, unlike yesterdays ride in which ticked the windy, wet and to round off the commuting bingo card, a visit from the p*ncture fairy half way in. Add that to a 13hr shift and I wasn't the happiest commuting cyclist on the way home last night:sad:

been there done that , well not the 13 hour shift but done piddling it down, tired, hungry, knackered trying to mend a flat in the dark by streetlight under a petrol station price sign hiding from the rain , fun innit ;)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
First morning in a long time when there's been mist in the frost hollow on one of the little back roads I take sometimes.

Something was a bit off today, didn't feel quite right. When I got to work I found I had a Santini legwarmer on my left leg and a somewhat looser fitting Gore Bike Wear legwarmer on the right.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My normal commute bike is being stripped down for some work. So it was out with my Van Nick road bike. Wow.. what a difference. Without using a rack and panniers, the bike accelerates, climbs and cruises along like no body's business. Super quick and nimble on the commute. I forget how much weight rack and panniers slows down a bike. However, I had to use a rucksack, which is just awful. I hate all the weight on my back along with the sweat it causes. Yuk. Not nice.

On another note, I made a woman motorist jump out of her skin. She was slowly pulling into my lane but couldn't get anywhere due to a car in front. I pulled alongside to see she was texting on her phone. I tapped on her window and she near threw her phone onto the passenger seat. Looking very sheepish, she mouthed sorry. I just shrugged and said 6 points and 200 quid. Hopefully she thinks I have a camera (I don't) and that she's going to get reported to the police.

Over the weekend I thought my road bike was looking a bit un-loved so planned a route for today on all tarmac. It was lovely getting back on the road bike, no squishy off road tyres to take the power out of the climbs, I got used to my speedplay cleats in a instant and remembered why I love them. Also got used to my shimano shifters over my srams quickly. Overall I was expecting the extra 10 miles of road traffic to put me off but nope, it was cars all the way but nobody managed to pee me off which surprised the hell out of me in a good way.
Despit numerous traffic lights, roundabouts and xebra crossings in a fairly built up commute I managed the 17 mies at 16.4 mph avg. Not a lot faster than the CX on the road/canal route but used less calories and less power. ( power meters on both bikes) . Set some PR's on my old hills using less power as well. I think I will be mixing up the bikes and routes a bit more if the ride home is ok.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well the traffic is back in full force!!!

What, the ducks and geese will be in my way tomorrow ?

Got 3 days in the office this week, but only one bike day. Seeing a musical on Thursday, so will get the train in, stopping overnight in Manchester, then into work for the morning, before getting the train back at lunch to work from home in the afternoon. Shame really as diary has moved about this week - should have been cycling in today too, but I'll get a lunch ride in if the weather holds out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Put a raceblade mudguard on the back of my bike this morning, due to the forecast thunderstorms and rain later this afternoon.
At a junction I spoke to another cycle commuter. He mentioned that we may get wet later, I replied with, yep, I put a mudguard on the bike this morning because of it. He replied that he did to but the rubbing was annoying him. I said I seem to have got it right and no rubbing.
Closer to work I was following another cyclist and there was a loud scraping, whistling noise. I said to the other cyclist. Hey, is that noise coming from your bike? No, he said, it's yours.
:shy:
Ooops.. it was my mudguard of course.

Top Bottom