Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Rode home a longer way today so I could get a few extra km in the legs and also spend the first 1/3 of the ride with my mate. Traffic was horrible on that route, I spent 20 mins stationary 🤦

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back on the commute after two weeks hols.

Tried a modified old route that I used to do in the winter when it was icy. Unfortunately, it does use a section of road where I broke my spine, so the small amount I needed to use on the road, I covered on the pavement as I'd avoided most of it going through a local park, before popping onto the Fallowfield Loop. It's a mile or two shorter and saves about 10 minutes. Does mean it's slightly less risky on cold mornings, even with studded tyres, as my main route has a number of cobbled locks to navigate that are rather wet (iced up in winter).

Happy to report the Fallowfield Loop is still like the M1 for bikes !😊 - Not been on it for nearly 7 years.

I have to agree with @ianrauk traffic was mental this morning, the drive part of my drive/cycle commute has gone from 18 miles in 30 mins to this morning 1hr 20!. I then foolishly tried a different route on my start of the cycle trying to miss a big hill and ended up in miles of stop start traffic having to filter/under/overtake. I finally got onto the canal path and order was restored.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Screenshot_20220907-104717_2.jpg

Towards the end of my new epic 1km cycle commute, I cross the river to the next town. This is carefully manages with high levees and wide banks to take spring floodwater.
Today a local kindergarten had sensibly decided that bringing the children to play in the river was the best use of the morning so the bank was all manner of bright colours as a swarm of about forty small children ran about and splashed in the water.
Cheered me up no end...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Meant to add, our bike parking is insecure. Outer door (to the street) is catching the floor and sticking, so isn't closing properly, and the 'inner door' isn't locking on the magnetic lock, so anyone can walk in from the car park.

Fall back option is Velo Lockers on the surface car park, except, 90% of them have folk's own padlocks on them, and I know only one or two are in use out of about 40. Had to hunt for a locker that had a 'keyed alike' padlock on. The process is all lockers have a 'keyed alike' padlock, you come along, pop the padlock inside the locker, and use your own lock. Upon leaving you remove your lock, and put padlock back on. Except folk haven't and this has meant the lockers can't be used.

Emails fired of to Estates.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Meant to add, out bike parking is insecure. Outer door (to the street) is catching the floor and sticking, so isn't closing properly, and the 'inner door' isn't locking on the magnetic lock, so anyone can walk in from the car park.

Fall back option is Velo Lockers on the surface car park, except, 90% of them have folk's own padlocks on them, and I know only one or two are in use out of about 40. Had to hunt for a locker that had a 'keyed alike' padlock on. The process is all lockers have a 'keyed alike' padlock, you come along, pop the padlock inside the locker, and use your own lock. Upon leaving you remove your lock, and put padlock back on. Except folk haven't and this has meant the lockers can't be used.

Emails fired of to Estates.

Sounds better than many employers. I have railings outside the office. I returned to my bike yesterday to find that I had completely forgotten to lock it at all, and it had been there all day under the beady eyes of our staff.

Top Bottom