Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
Went home the scenic route but all I can remember is that a side / head wind and hills do not make for a great mix. My legs now ache, but I figure it's all part of the fun, I mean you can't always take the easy option now can you...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Boy was that hard work! 23 miles, with the last half being headwind or side wind, gusting wind and ice tyres do not mix well. On the bright side, beat yesterdays record and commuted 56.8 miles today

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just a short ride for me; I had planned to get home and get changed for a longer ride. Just yards from home though, I gave way at a busy Rbt. A classic sports car came round fast and indicating to leave the rbt but their wheels didnt say that, so I continued to give way, which is a good job because they didnt exit. Unfortunately the car behind me didn't, they accelerated assuming Id go. When she got out and said she was so sorry, she saw me, I exploded; when I reduced her to tears I found myself apologising for my swearing :shy: To her credit there she said I had every right to swear. The rear wheel is goosed (at first inspection it looks to be the rim buckled) hopefully no more than that. I think I escaped with a bruised left buttock and I've ripped my Vuelta Espana back pack, its not like I can get one of them of the shelf tomorrow :sad:
My evening ride is cancelled now :sad:

I would have sworn if it was me....

MichaelO

Veteran
PRs galore on Strava coming home tonight :smile: Might have pushed a bit harder with the tail wind - might regret that tomorrow with the snow/headwind that's forecast....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This wind is starting to **** me off, seems to be a head wind both ways at the moment :angry:

It's.......................trying.

Col5632

Guru
Just a short ride for me; I had planned to get home and get changed for a longer ride. Just yards from home though, I gave way at a busy Rbt. A classic sports car came round fast and indicating to leave the rbt but their wheels didnt say that, so I continued to give way, which is a good job because they didnt exit. Unfortunately the car behind me didn't, they accelerated assuming Id go. When she got out and said she was so sorry, she saw me, I exploded; when I reduced her to tears I found myself apologising for my swearing :shy: To her credit there she said I had every right to swear. The rear wheel is goosed (at first inspection it looks to be the rim buckled) hopefully no more than that. I think I escaped with a bruised left buttock and I've ripped my Vuelta Espana back pack, its not like I can get one of them of the shelf tomorrow :sad:
My evening ride is cancelled now :sad:

Glad your alright though :thumbsup:

I would have swore also

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Winter approaches. It was the coldest morning of the year on my commute to work today, starting at about 6.5°C when I left home, and getting colder during my commute. Being the soft Australian that I am (not like you HAF lot), I wore my cycling jacket for the first time this year, as it was just a wee bit chilly for just the jersey. To warm up, I just cycled faster (having a cyclist on my tail helped, too, as I didn't feel like letting him/her catch up).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Headwind so cold it made my teeth hurt. And snow for 19 out of 22km. Plus a twunt in a Merc trying to pass me in primary in the face of the oncoming traffic on the double whites 100m from home. Utter UTTER twunt. Followed. (even turned into the leisure centre car park went around car park and then drove out) Plate memorised. Reported.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Nice commute home, with temperature around 20°C. I stopped at a bike store about 5km from home to pick up a pair of tyres I'd ordered for the road bike. I wanted tyres that were as puncture proof as possible, as I do plan to take the road bike on some more long rides. I ended up ordering the Specialized Armadillo All-Condition Reflect, and on holding them in my hands, I could tell that they're quite tough to the feel, including the side walls. I got 25C tyres, which will hopefully add a little bit more comfort to long rides, and absorb bumps better.

I then practised the arcane art of riding with a pair of tyres over one shoulder on the remaining 5km to home :laugh:. Tricky, that.

Top Bottom