Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
^^^ that exact corner Mike.
Except far closer then your clown managed there.
I couldn't give a stuff if I lose/lost the moral high ground. She put my life in danger then started ranting and raving at me. I am not going to take that in any instance from anyone.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Totally lost my rag with a driver this morning.
I was coming up to a hard left hand turn, (Brookmill Road for those that know it) with another cyclist in front of me. I see a car come into my vision from the right. Trying to overtake on the bend.
I shout at her to back off as loud as I could and put my hand out. But this didn't stop her. She carried on pushing me into the apex. There was inches between me, the curb and the driver. I shouted again for her to back off. This time she did.
She then proceeded to do the high revs thing and beep her horn constantly whilst behind me.
When there was 'room' to pass, she did so far too close, far too fast in a punishment style.
I caught up with her in traffic and stopped by her window. I asked what she think she was playing at.
I then received a barrage of hate filled abuse, swearing and finger pointing.
I wasn't going to take that. Her wing mirror got a nice punch for her efforts.
What a lovely way to start the day.

Sorry to hear that. There's just no arguing with some folks and we all lose it from time to time. Hope your ride home is a better one. Sometimes it seems like things are getting worse as drivers get increasingly impatient and do more and more idiotic stuff.
I consider it a good commute when my wave (of thanks to drivers) to middle finger ratio is in the positive - i.e. more waves than the finger! (Today the waves won 4-0 I'm relieved to say!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry to hear that. There's just no arguing with some folks and we all lose it from time to time. Hope your ride home is a better one. Sometimes it seems like things are getting worse as drivers get increasingly impatient and do more and more idiotic stuff.
I consider it a good commute when my wave (of thanks to drivers) to middle finger ratio is in the positive - i.e. more waves than the finger! (Today the waves won 4-0 I'm relieved to say!)

This is the first actual incident/confrontation I have had with a driver on a daily commute since February when a copper knocked me off. So a fairly good ratio.

400bhp

Guru
It's funny how often these incidents are concentrated at specific points on the road.

There really are some feckwits out there unfortunately. :sad:

400bhp

Guru
Like this one, only with actual aggression and vindictiveness?

This is why a camera is good. It helps me to sort the driver out without losing the moral high ground, no matter how sweary and horrible they get. It helps me not to be angry and sweary and lose my cool, and it's waaay more effective since I get to bring consequences served cold. I'm not blaming you at all, btw, I've done the same thing before, but it's just so much nicer with a camera, I enjoy my cycling much more since the occasional tosser has almost no effect on my mental zen.

I can't hear the commentary whilst at work but I can probably figure it out.

IMO drivers like that have an axe to grind with a certain subset of road users, in this instance cyclists.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Had an idiot this morning. There's a long downhill, which you can pick some speed up. I saw the lights change to green and figured I could just get through before amber if I don't slow down. I'm in the LH lane, in primary.
I'd probably have been in a position between the black and silver cars, doing 30+.
Idiot passes me, in middle lane, then swings across infront to go down the LH filter!
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wh...FAYVvDC2ZFnk87On7-uEEw&cbp=12,201.27,,0,18.18

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I had a flat tyre 1 mile into my commute this morning. BALLS!!!

I also had another bloody cyclist do a must get in front on me, only to slow down. GO AWAY!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I turned into a side road this morning, and a Dad and his kids in a nice Audi saloon, queuing in the opposite direction, were ogling my bike with enormous excitement and smiles... must be another cyclist !

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Nice cabbie yesterday stuck his hand out to stop me crashing into another cab at St Paul's coming out from a turning on the left,I was riding in the middle of the raod after the pinch point and had seen what was going on.Nice though.Thankyou cabbies.x

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
^^^ that exact corner Mike.
Except far closer then your clown managed there.
I couldn't give a stuff if I lose/lost the moral high ground. She put my life in danger then started ranting and raving at me. I am not going to take that in any instance from anyone.

Like what I mentioned on another thread earlier,a motorist friend passed a cyclist too close and was surprised when he got the two fingers.

I had a particulary bad overtake at that $h1thol3 Stratford yesterday and had a go at the driver,appalling close pass which had me cycling into the pavement as I heard him storm up behind me.I was livid.

I thought Stratford was bad but I was at Ilford last night and it is no better,probably worse.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Well after weeks when I've been thinking "is it warm/dry enough for me to be ar5ed to cycle in?" Today was a 'no available excuses' day. Not even a single family demand for dads taxi.
And it was definitely warm enough. Out with 1 layer and my first time out cycling with my sleeveless tri-top ^_^

GrasB

Veteran
Have you got 'target' written on your shirt? ;)
No, he's kind of quick. Basically if you're not fast enough or putting enough effort in to be that much faster that you leave the guy for dead you get these people trying to race you when they've not got the strength to hold your pace :sad:. It's infuriating

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I shouted at a cyclist who sailed through on red through a very dangerous junction. Firstly said, "they are on red" followed by "idiot". Think he said eff off. Utter d1ck.

Be comforted that he is the utter dick.(I agree).:thumbsup:

I have more respect for cyclists who follow the rules of the road.Sad to see the decline in road behaviour over the last few years though among cyclists.

The general public are not as clever as they thing they are.I work on the railways and see it all.Sorry if my opinion offends anyone.

Top Bottom