Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Took the scenic way back on a woodland path through a very secluded clough last night. Had the place to myself. Very pleasant. One short but very muddy section saw me dismount and climb up the bank to the side to get past. As I came to the top of the bank there were about 10 people in hi viz jackets surrounded by film lights, microphones and at least one tripod mounted film camera. They were all silent so I assume they were filming at the time. I'm not sure who was most surprised. I certainly had no idea they were there and until I suddenly popped into view they wouldn't have heard me. All very unexpected. Mind you a few months ago I came across a chariot with two guys on it being pulled by a team of huskies. Now that was quite surreal.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
can i ask how you have mounted you cams? the rear and fixed front espesh how do you have room? i have three front lights two leyzne and a exposure flash and thats all i have room for.
The forward one is mounted using a flex strap by the stem, the rear is mounted at the bottom of the drop using the handlebar mount.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bloody puncture tonight...tiniest bit of flint.
First puncture on the new bike so near 3000 miles with no punctures. Not bad for the badlands of South East London.

Luckily no rain on the way home, took the quick route home and as soon as I walked in the door the heavens opened with an almighty thunderstorm. Thunder, lightning...the lot...

MisterStan

Label Required
There's a guy that often does this sort of thing on my way home, he's rides at a fair pace, but not blisteringly quick. I pass, he passes me, then slows down over the next half mile or so until I'm catching him & then I overtake maintaining my speed, repeat. I've now given to dropping the hammer on a 5 min interval. He still tries to keep up, unfortunatly this means his on a flat out sprint to try & get back on my wheel... he doesn't last long :laugh:

Drink water of or have a blinding headache for the day making me irritable... now which would I prefer :unsure:
What's your commute route? I notice you're 'near Cambridge'

redcard

Veteran
I always presume riders up ahead of me are fit young upstarts who need to be taught a lesson - I'm mid 30s.

So I see this guy today, think to myself, "right, is that the best he's got??", catch him up and sit behind for a while until we get to a clear section of road (and also just making sure I can keep pace with him :whistle: ), then blast past him thinking "pogo on that, you twat!", and keep the speed up for a few hundred yards until we stop at the lights. He says hello, and we chat for 30 seconds or so, before continuing for a few hundred yards until he turns off. Nice chap, middle-aged, probably got a couple of teenage kids. I feel bad for passing him in such a rash, boy-racer manner.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Saw this big yellow warm thing in the sky , i was so confused i nearly buckled a wheel in a pothole i did not see when the sun was directly in line of sight .

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Luckily no rain on the way home, took the quick route home and as soon as I walked in the door the heavens opened with an almighty thunderstorm. Thunder, lightning...the lot...
You are lucky you missed that, caught in it for about 10mins. Absoultly tipped it down!
Wheeled the bike into the shed, and it bloody stops :/

GrasB

Veteran
What's your commute route? I notice you're 'near Cambridge'
Variable, very variable. I'm east of Cambridge but tend to approach to the west of the city after passing to north or south .

Jdratcliffe

Was amazing yellow thing in the sky took it easy at first but then got in a rythem so missed this feeling of getting to work with a throb in the legs and a grin on my face !! YAY for the first commute back after a month of trains!:hyper:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Totally lost my rag with a driver this morning.
I was coming up to a hard left hand turn, (Brookmill Road for those that know it) with another cyclist in front of me. I see a car come into my vision from the right. Trying to overtake on the bend.
I shout at her to back off as loud as I could and put my hand out. But this didn't stop her. She carried on pushing me into the apex. There was inches between me, the curb and the driver. I shouted again for her to back off. This time she did.
She then proceeded to do the high revs thing and beep her horn constantly whilst behind me.
When there was 'room' to pass, she did so far too close, far too fast in a punishment style.
I caught up with her in traffic and stopped by her window. I asked what she think she was playing at.
I then received a barrage of hate filled abuse, swearing and finger pointing.
I wasn't going to take that. Her wing mirror got a nice punch for her efforts.
What a lovely way to start the day.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I got absolutely soaked through yesterday afternoon on the way home. There must be something wrong with me though, as I quite enjoyed it.

I think if it had been colder, windier, or a longer journey the enjoyment might have faded a little though!

thefollen

Veteran
Somebody in a top hat walked out between two cars as I was filtering up towards Trafalgar Square yesterday. Almost caused me a clipless.

The 2-lane road yesterday was particularly congested with about 10 double deckers in a row and an assortment of HGVs. A proper scrum of filtering cyclists- was actually quite good fun.

Regarding the clipless moment though- it's funny how the brain works. The moment that you think 'oh balls, a clipless could be on the cards' causes one to hesitate for a time where you could've actually unclipped quickly. Luckily despite a mild hesitation (a top hat can take one by surprise) the unclipping was successful!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Totally lost my rag with a driver this morning.
I was coming up to a hard left hand turn, (Brookmill Road for those that know it) with another cyclist in front of me. I see a car come into my vision from the right. Trying to overtake on the bend.
I shout at her to back off as loud as I could and put my hand out. But this didn't stop her. She carried on pushing me into the apex. There was inches between me, the curb and the driver. I shouted again for her to back off. This time she did.
She then proceeded to do the high revs thing and beep her horn constantly whilst behind me.
When there was 'room' to pass, she did so far too close, far too fast in a punishment style.
I caught up with her in traffic and stopped by her window. I asked what she think she was playing at.
I then received a barrage of hate filled abuse, swearing and finger pointing.
I wasn't going to take that. Her wing mirror got a nice punch for her efforts.
What a lovely way to start the day.

Like this one, only with actual aggression and vindictiveness?

This is why a camera is good. It helps me to sort the driver out without losing the moral high ground, no matter how sweary and horrible they get. It helps me not to be angry and sweary and lose my cool, and it's waaay more effective since I get to bring consequences served cold. I'm not blaming you at all, btw, I've done the same thing before, but it's just so much nicer with a camera, I enjoy my cycling much more since the occasional tosser has almost no effect on my mental zen.

Top Bottom