Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was going to have a whinge about the wind and cold this morning...
But after reading the tales of torrential rain. mechanical failures and wild animal attacks I think I'll just be grateful that mine was uneventful :blush:

Indeed. I was expecting a deluge this morning. But even though I am feeling a bit crap after catching jnr's cold, the ride in was quite pleasant.

When badgers attack. I haven't had a run in with the Bitton badgers for over a year but this morning I was almost knocked off by one. This wasn't the big old grumpy one that would face off with me then charge at me last spring.

I was crossing the railway tracks at Avon valley railway when a young badger came out of the undergrowth like a steam train and ran straight into my right side hitting the crank and my foot, I went sideways into the fence and somehow managed to stay upright and unclip a foot whilst the badger went tearing across the car park and into the hedgerow. I have a bit of a sore shoulder but otherwise seem OK, I can't comment on the badgers health as he/she didn't hang around. I love seeing wildlife but I would rather it was at least at arms or legs length.
I have never had a incident with a badger, only Deers but the first night I turned up to join my road club on a wednesday night, I was met by the membership secetary dripping in blood and covered in scrapes, they had been doing a chain gang and a badger had run out in front of them only took him out though. I hope your shoulder gets better. No commute for me today, physio apointment this afternoon.

robjh

Legendary Member
The hailstones were the worst part this morning, but thankfully they didn't last long, and the rest of it was just cold rain that started a short way into my commute and got heavier the further I went. I had even left early to try and avoid it but it caught me up. I noticed my braking power had dropped quite a bit in the wet, and once I was onto busier roads I started taking junctions a bit slower and braking earlier so that it ended up a good 1mph slower than usual over the whole route.
Now sitting in the office in wet socks and watching the first blue skies reappearing over Coventry.

BigAl68

Über Member
I have never had a incident with a badger, only Deers but the first night I turned up to join my road club on a wednesday night, I was met by the membership secetary dripping in blood and covered in scrapes, they had been doing a chain gang and a badger had run out in front of them only took him out though. I hope your shoulder gets better. No commute for me today, physio apointment this afternoon.

I see badgers maybe twice a month but this one I obviously spooked and he made to get away through me. Thankfully the pedal was down so he bounced off me rather than trying to get under me.

Stephen C

Über Member
I was expecting wind and rain this morning, but was greeted with a bit of sun and a tailwind! Really nice commute in, got into the office and seeing the heavens open, I thought how lucky I was to miss it and have dry kit for the commute home.

At this point, the fire alarm went off and off we all went to stand in the pouring rain for 10 minutes, goodbye dry kit....:rain:

LoftusRoadie

Bloody headwind! A real struggle down the River Lea this morning but equally felt happy that I managed to do it. Started to rain about 15 mins before I got to work but I was too lazy to put on a rain jacket - however the clothes are dry now anyway.
Hopefully the rain will gave stopped by the time I leave for home at 6pm.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I got a good drenching this morning. Trainers and jacket were both still wet when I put them back on for the ride home. Luckily for me, but not them, all the badgers I saw this morning were brown bread.

Simontm

Veteran
Daughter was off sick yesterday so missed the rain!
Today, no dramas, quite fast, sunny ride in. A lot more lesser spotteds out now. Quite fun looking at the fear in their eyes as you head towards them on a bike path at double figures speed - guess I was the same nearly a year ago :smile:
Numpty count: 1. As I turned into our car park road, a bloody pigeon strutted out in front of me and caused me to swerve around it. Fortunately, the oncoming car stopped and the driver gave me a grin.
Bloody pedestrians, just stepping out without a care, not looking and expecting you to cater for their actions ^_^

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There was a headwind this morning and I think I'm getting a cold ... seem to be coughing and a bit hoarse without actually feeling ill in general, but today I felt as if I was dragging a car behind me. At one point when I was going particularly slow up hill (even for me), I did have someone sitting on my back wheel even as I dropped down from about 10 to 6 mph, only then did he see fit to overtake!!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not been feeling great all week. Have picked up a bug somewhere which is sapping my energy at the moment. So for today's commute I stuck to the backs streets and parks pootling along just admiring the scenery in the lovely blue sunshine. The River Thames looks glorious today.

Top Bottom