Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well this mornings cycle commute was grimmer then a grim thing from planet grim.
I was back into full winter commute gear this morning. It was very cold, it was very wet and it was very windy. It really wan't nice out at all. In fact it was down right nasty,
Compared to this time last week when I was nursing a little bit of sunburn :wacko:

So, it is rainy commute # 28 for the year so far, compared to last year when in the same period, only 7 rainy commutes. (31 in total for 2017)

Ciar

Veteran
I got up looked out the window, thought sod that and took my rest day on a Monday! not something i normally do, but i really could not be bothered which is a shame as i have a new bike that needs to be ridden :sad:

All weekend, the forecast for today was some kind of typhoon, with more rainfall than the whole year and winds on 50 mph. All weekend they keep banging on about it.

And today 10% chance of rain and little wind, how can you get it so wrong!

mangid

Guru
All weekend, the forecast for today was some kind of typhoon, with more rainfall than the whole year and winds on 50 mph. All weekend they keep banging on about it.

And today 10% chance of rain and little wind, how can you get it so wrong!

Yep, I was in full on wet weather gear, including scuba diving cuffs (great tip from @User46386 )

Not sure about little wind, didn't come down the busway did you ;-) ?

University site had it gusting at 25+ from the NW, not a typhoon, but still a good work out.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I think we had all of the rain that @kevin_cambs_uk & @mangid were expecting. I have to admit to driving in for the first time this year - 30+MPH gusts, heavy rain and I've still not cleaned & lubed the chain after Friday's soaking.

However I did take the opportunity of taking in clothing for the next couple of weeks plus enough ready meals for this week's late shifts in one go rather than spreading it out over a few days.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Interesting commute home today , 3 mins into it and i was nearly wiped out by a DPD van heading the wrong way down the road. In total shock for 5 mins as i realise how close it was :eek:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Interesting commute home today , 3 mins into it and i was nearly wiped out by a DPD van heading the wrong way down the road. In total shock for 5 mins as i realise how close it was :eek:

^^^ If I see their vans the alert levels immediately go up. I have seen them being badly driven so often, including one going on to two wheels on a roundabout, so inappropriate was its speed.^^^

Hopefully this morning's frost covering the cars and ground was the last, or one of the last, links of winter's chain. Still at least I was better prepared for it than yesterday.

In general I find HGV drivers to be pretty courteous and in giving me space, but this morning was not good. Twice HGV drivers seem to have decided the lone cyclist didn't matter. The first time pulling straight out in front of me, when there was nothing else on the road. The second time, when there was little traffic, pulling out from a junction on the opposite side of the road and cutting directly into my path in the cycle lane. In between this an ASDA HGV overtook me and quite literally as soon as the end of the trailer came by me he braked and began to take a left turn.

Randombiker9

Way home a van driver shouted like you should be on the pavement. I knew he was going to say something at traffic lights as well as when he stopped he still had his window down and was looking at me. Instead of ahead (i slowed down on purpose) but luckily the lights happened to be on my side and they turned green quickly when i got to the lights and he went off so he didn't . Anyone else had this comment? Like ussuall i didn't say anything.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Lucky ride in.
The rain hammering on the window at 3am woke me up, which confirmed my 88% chance of rain according to the BBC web site. So toyed with bike, train, bike.
The rain stopped shortly before I left home and with dark clouds appearing all over the sky as dawn broke, it wasn't looking good. So rode harder than usual. A little over an hour later, made it to work with mildly moist hair and feet, having had only two short spells of light rain. Some walking from car parks and train stations after my arrival didn't fare so well.
Might not be so fortunate on the way home.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had all my gear ready for my ride into work at 4.30am today only to find a message from my partner "Dont forget dentist today". Damn. I had to drive instead.

Talking to collegues at work. They were all scraping ice off their windscreens this morning.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Proper wet job today but I still did the ten mile route.

I was pleased I avoided the shared use path though. It's crap at the best of times.

splash.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Way home a van driver shouted like you should be on the pavement. I knew he was going to say something at traffic lights as well as when he stopped he still had his window down and was looking at me. Instead of ahead (i slowed down on purpose) but luckily the lights happened to be on my side and they turned green quickly when i got to the lights and he went off so he didn't . Anyone else had this comment? Like ussuall i didn't say anything.

Probably not worth saying anything. A van driver once politely asked why I wasn't using the pavement in the picture I posted above. I explained that it was rubbish - pointed out that people using it never get a proper turn to cross the motorway sliproad & have to play Russian roulette with the traffic from three directions. The road is safer as you actually get a proper green light. The conversation proceeded quite amicably.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So, this morning was yet another rainy commute # 29 for the year so far, compared to last year when in the same period, only 7 rainy commutes. (31 in total for 2017)

WTF did I clean my bike last night, complete and utter waste of time.

Top Bottom