Tales from today's commute....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by martint235, 28 Jun 2012.

1. clf

clf Senior Member

Trafford council and their clown works team love to put cones and signs in the shambles they call cycle lanes, this morning so many drivers anticipated me pulling out and gave me space to go around them, it was a real pleasure to share the road with them this morning, I do think it's getting a bit better. Thanks Trafford drivers :thumbsup:

2. rivers

rivers Senior Member

Tough slog home tonight, 16 miles into the 30mph gusty headwinds.

Salty seadog likes this.
  3. Ciar

Ciar Über Member

Bit wet, as usual it stopped raining as i got within half a mile of work :hyper:

4. rivers

rivers Senior Member

Very wet commute in. The rain soaked through my gloves which resulted in very cold hands. I ended up making a pit stop at Bitton station to warm/dry my hands with the hand dryer in the toilets. I decided that the last 5 miles of my commute would be gloveless, luckily the hammering rain had stopped by then.

palinurus and Arjimlad like this.
  5. dhd.evans

dhd.evans Über Member

Rest day as Kinross Sportive tomorrow; lots of BSOs on the road today which is always a pleasant surprise but total misery for me on the bus...

6. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

Bravo

I chickened out & drove to work. I did have to take a back wheel into the bike shop though, so it helped to have the car to transport the wheel. Feeble excuse.

7. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

Out of the house at 6am yesterday and today and I'm back into short sleeved baselayer, arm warmers, thermal jersey & long finger gloves. Add on to that rain on Wednesday afternoon & this afternoon and I'm beginnning to wonder if last week's warmth & sunshine were a figment of my imagination.

8. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Swapped chains quickly while my bike was locked up outside work on Friday. The chain was skipping under torque...
    I had done this (the bad thing that shortens your chain and derailleur life):
    Screenshot_20180428-173154-01.jpeg
    If anything, it was riding impressively well!

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  9. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Well that was a chilly one. Could have done with a buff, leggings and thicker gloves.
    Sod the usual glass of water at work, just put away a hot mug of Earl Grey.

10. lazybloke

lazybloke Über Member

currently looking out my bedroom window. Preference today is definitely the shortest route.

I wish I'd picked up the mudguards from Halfords yesterday....

11. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Well this mornings cycle commute was grimmer then a grim thing from planet grim.
    I was back into full winter commute gear this morning. It was very cold, it was very wet and it was very windy. It really wan't nice out at all. In fact it was down right nasty,
    Compared to this time last week when I was nursing a little bit of sunburn :wacko:

So, it is rainy commute # 28 for the year so far, compared to last year when in the same period, only 7 rainy commutes. (31 in total for 2017)

12. Ciar

Ciar Über Member

I got up looked out the window, thought sod that and took my rest day on a Monday! not something i normally do, but i really could not be bothered which is a shame as i have a new bike that needs to be ridden :sad:

13. All weekend, the forecast for today was some kind of typhoon, with more rainfall than the whole year and winds on 50 mph. All weekend they keep banging on about it.

And today 10% chance of rain and little wind, how can you get it so wrong!

14. mangid

mangid Veteran

Yep, I was in full on wet weather gear, including scuba diving cuffs (great tip from @User46386 )

Not sure about little wind, didn't come down the busway did you ;-) ?

University site had it gusting at 25+ from the NW, not a typhoon, but still a good work out.

kevin_cambs_uk likes this.
  15. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

I think we had all of the rain that @kevin_cambs_uk & @mangid were expecting. I have to admit to driving in for the first time this year - 30+MPH gusts, heavy rain and I've still not cleaned & lubed the chain after Friday's soaking.

However I did take the opportunity of taking in clothing for the next couple of weeks plus enough ready meals for this week's late shifts in one go rather than spreading it out over a few days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice