Tales from today's commute....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by martint235, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

First early start for a few weeks and rewarded by clear skies, light winds and a lovely sunrise over the North Sea. Unfortunately I'm now looking out of the office window at grey cloud and light fog.

ADarkDraconis and Maverick Goose like this.
  2. Lovely ride this morning and roads were quiet which was odd. New commuter tank back in full use now after yesterdays commute/test on road,canal and goop surfaces ! Cracking bike made up of various bits and bobs

3. si_c

si_c Über Member

Feeling like crap, both in and home today felt like way to much effort. Thought I'd broken the back of this cold, but it's just started kicking me in the balls again.

ADarkDraconis and Slick like this.
  4. Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa Senior Member

No problem with wind today :laugh: @screenman the nights are getting lighter now as well not even dark by the time I get to work on nights now :okay:

5. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

Was nice to commute both ways in daylight. Tempted by riding tomorrow or Wednesday before tailing off for the weekend. Not got enough miles in my legs to do much more!

ADarkDraconis and 13 rider like this.
  6. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Make sure you keep yourself fit for Sunday

13 rider likes this.
  7. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

I will, just enjoyed the ride today!! Physio tomorrow!

13 rider likes this.
  8. Slick

Slick Veteran

That's the way it seems to work, every time I thought I'd got over it, it would hit me again. I've had a good lay off now, not worth pushing through that.

si_c likes this.
  9. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I enjoyed riding to and from work today, despite getting drenched tonight :laugh:

ADarkDraconis and 13 rider like this.
  10. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

Bit of fun on the way home this afternoon - tucked in behind a Mercedes Estate that was slow pulling away from traffic lights at a set of crossroads to create a safe zone where a car couldn't take the space and squeeze me out where the road narows on the other side and sat in the same position for the next mile & a bit slipstreaming it. Harder work than following a bus or van, but better visibilty.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  11. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Heavy rain over night meant a local road flooded as usual, with about 10 metres of water to coast through legs akimbo. Fun as a child and occasionally as an adult, but getting a bit wearing now.
    Spitting rain for the journey, but even after over an hour, not enough to be damp with, although overshoes took a soaking from the road spray.
    Broke up the otherwise unremarkable journey by the game of sprinting or easing off, to see how many junction traffic lights I could get through on green. 27/30.
    Half a dozen other cyclists, all lit up.

12. dhd.evans

dhd.evans Über Member

Wind at my back all the way in, rain in my face and back. Last night's ride home was a miserable, wet, cold slog. Averaged 13mph over the 7mi.

Oh, and this dolt this morning:

What makes this one funny is the sheer lack of awareness. The driver first came on my radar when she tried to overtake coming out me at the start of my ride (not in video) into oncoming traffic; she had to slam the brakes on to avoid the car on the other side of the road (which mounted the kerb out of fear). From the start of this video i am aware of the car being less than a few feet off my rear wheel so keep tabs. Assumed as she came up my right hand side she was turning into the junction; not so. Attempts an overtake on a blind corner and squeezes me into the gutter then narrowly misses the taxi that is pulling in. Also not on video is the driver applying blusher and other makeup at the traffic lights down the road whilst the lights turns from red to green (holding up traffic) and the apology i then elicited when i asked her to keep her distance. Not a malicious driver but certainly needs to up her awareness on the road.

13. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

I got a good aul fashioned drenching last night. The kind of soaking where all your waterproof layers just look at you and shrug.

But it was back at it this morning, and although a little wet, still a reasonably enjoyable ride in. I snapped my pair of orange 'brightening' glasses last week so have been using darker sunglasses which aren't ideal for the low light, wet rides as they're dark already without fogging up and water spray. Mental note to get another pair of clear/orange glasses!

14. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

Daft reckless driving.

dhd.evans likes this.
  15. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

Took the Schwalbe Winter spiked tyres off last night at last, put the original Smart Sams back on the Revolt and had a short ride to work after dropping my daughter at school. The bike rides really smoothly on those 700x35s and they're still not fully worn out after two years sharing the riding with the TCR and with the winter tyres.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice