Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just done the 8 mile commute on MTB for the first time rather than my usual Road bike...

Much harder work... I'm assuming i will get fitter...

But on the plus side lot less skittish obviously so less swerving for pot holes and obviously far better across the rough park track of the route...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Brrr.. definitely getting cold now. Winter is on it's way. Still in shorts at the moment but in a windcheater. Any colder then base layers and knee warmers are coming out.
Half term here at the moment so a nice clear run in this morning.

Slick

Guru
I've been in long bibs for a few weeks now as there is a definite touch of frost most mornings now. The wind has also been a factor with most runs home being hard work.

rivers

How far can I go?
That was just about the worst commute ever. They are resurfacing part of the B2B, so it's closed for the week and I'm taking the roads. The A37 through Whitchurch was also closed, so a bit of traffic chaos at the start of my commute, which included me getting off and walking up a small incline as trying to get through the traffic was proving nigh on impossible. It took me longer to ride just over 10 miles than it does to ride the 16 going along the B2B. This is going to be a fun week.

C R

Guru
How many idiots can you find in a short 2 mile commute? Well, three as it turns out. First some older "gent" in a biggish bmw squeezed between me and a car waiting to turn right across the road, almost forcing me into the bushes. About five hundred metres further down I was doing about 20mph, and I can see a car front coming out of a side lane, eased on the pedals, and sure enough, the car came out without really looking, forcing me to grab the brakes hard.

After this section of road I go into a shared path, what could go wrong? Well some dog walker letting his mut in an extending lead take the whole path, I slowed down, called excuse me, and went carefully around him and then the dog, all at maybe 5mph. As I was going past he shouted, "where's the bell?" I ignored him and carried on.

At least it was sunny and not cold, still in shorts and fingerless gloves.

Slick

Guru
How many idiots can you find in a short 2 mile commute? Well, three as it turns out. First some older "gent" in a biggish bmw squeezed between me and a car waiting to turn right across the road, almost forcing me into the bushes. About five hundred metres further down I was doing about 20mph, and I can see a car front coming out of a side lane, eased on the pedals, and sure enough, the car came out without really looking, forcing me to grab the brakes hard.

After this section of road I go into a shared path, what could go wrong? Well some dog walker letting his mut in an extending lead take the whole path, I slowed down, called excuse me, and went carefully around him and then the dog, all at maybe 5mph. As I was going past he shouted, "where's the bell?" I ignored him and carried on.

At least it was sunny and not cold, still in shorts and fingerless gloves.
I've heard the "where's the bell" question a few times on a previous commute, yeah cos the big orange thing on the blue bike vocalising excuse me isn't enough. :wacko:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I've heard the "where's the bell" question a few times on a previous commute, yeah cos the big orange thing on the blue bike vocalising excuse me isn't enough. :wacko:
I have had the "where's the bell" after vigorously ringing it moments earlier.

And that one time when a couple with HUGE mirrors riding side by side on a tow path, making eye contact with me in said mirrors, and after asking to pass gave me the question... Not sure if I understand their need for bells. I told them I preferred being polite and considerate over ringing bells.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bbbbbrrrrr that was a little bit nippy this morning, but a fantastic sunrise made up for it. I still haven't dug out the knee warmers yet, so have made a mental note to do so. I just had to peddle that little bit harder then usual ^_^. I met a couple of other regular cycling commuters en route so managed to tag on to them both as they raced each other, tucking in their slipstream now and again until they chose a wrong lane undertake which meant I was able to overtake and break the elastic. I had to work for it though ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom