Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_S

Über Member
When checking the weather this morning I was absolutely sure that it had said it would be dry all day and it was indeed a nice dry autumnal ride into work this morning.

However this evenings commute home was blooming wet, cold & miserable and my mood wasn't exactly improved by a close pass from a double decker bus and a DPD lorry.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Dug out 2 pairs of winter gloves at the weekend. Put them "somewhere safe"!

Had to resort to Fingerless/summer mitts for 15 sub-zero miles.... Painful.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
:wacko::ohmy::angry:

I had my medium weight gloves on ( 2 layer with a liner) and my hands were ruddy frozen for the first 3 miles, at the 5 mile point I realised they were now toasty.
Just before Canning town the cycleway passes across the entrance ( not painted across so cyclists beware!)) and exit to a petrol station. In front of me was a young lady on a sit up and beg bike with a very striking bright gold helmet. I was a little way behind her when she was getting close to the entrance, I looked over my shoulder and a white van coming in hot from behind us indicating to turn . I could see/sense she was not going to look or slow and he was just going to turn no matter what, so I screamed in my best parade ground volume “whoah you stupid f******g b*******s” It was loud enough for both of them to hear and they both braked sharply, they were a foot away from collision, she seemed totally unaware of the danger she had been in, he was giving it the WTF hand signals.
After the petrol station I cycled up beside her and gave her my, shoulder check or end up a statistic monologue, she did the I can’t hear or see you look straight ahead reaction.

13 rider

Guru
First day of work this week so I would normally be on my hybrid with rack and pannier to carry the bulky clothes for the week but the rear wheel is in the LBS so I was on my Defy with a rucksack . Rucksack duly packed , cup of coffee then pushed the bike out the door checked the hall table to make sure I not forgotten anything . Nothing there . Cycle the 8 miles ( having done 13 miles ) to the papershop before work .Went to get my money and guess what no RUCKSACK !!!. It was still on the hallway floor . So no work clothes ,van keys ,work pass or money . Nothing for it head home the short way 8 miles ,Grab my rucksack ,running late now so jump into the car and make it to work with 5 mins to spare . Don't think I will do that again. How can you not notice your not wearing a rucksack

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
First day of work this week so I would normally be on my hybrid with rack and pannier to carry the bulky clothes for the wheel but the rear wheel Kevin the LBS so I was on my Defy with a rucksack . Rucksack duly packed , cup of coffee then pushed the bike out the door checked the hall table to make sure I not forgotten anything . Nothing there . Cycle the 8 miles ( having done 13 miles ) to the papershop before work .Went to get my money and guess what no RUCKSACK !!!. It was still on the hallway floor . So no work clothes ,van keys ,work pass or money . Nothing for it head home the short way 8 miles ,Grab my rucksack ,running late now so jump into the car and make it to work with 5 mins to spare . Don't thinknI will do that again. How can you not notice your not wearing a rucksack

Reminds me of the time I took my daughter to school before work, and cycled 5 miles onwards to the office with a little pink "Frozen" rucksack on my back containing her PE kit.

GetFatty

Über Member
I have a new pet hate. There’s a guy who makes a show of passing me on the way home up Rochester Way but it’s only cos he knows his car is parked near the top. 🤬🤬🤬

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
It got down to -6.2C on my route to work yesterday - luckily I'd fitted my first ever pair of studded Marathon Winter tyres on Sunday!

This morning it dropped to -0.3C at one point, but then it was back up to 3C just over a mile later as I got to work. Positively tropical (and I was sweating this morning by the time I arrived at work, unlike yesterday when I just felt toasty warm but not overly hot)!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

I despair. Driver tells me she was "just trying to get her child to nursery" as her way of explaining why she didn't stop on contact. I posited "what if your car knocked me down and i didn't get up? Do you know what happens when you leave the scene of accident?".

Needs reporting for re-education, that one.

Top Bottom