Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I understand that dashed cycle lanes are utterly useless and that anyone can legally park in them, but this morning one particular motorist took the complete biscuit when they veered from the oncoming lane to park right in my path as I rode in the dashed cycle lane. Why not at least wait until I passed by?

Totally useless infra on Bierley Lane, Bradford which is a sustrans route (NCN66). How does this qualify this stuff still qualify as a national cycle network. Just look at this for instance. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.765...4!1suw6P1ROUF9necsIVc4IZ0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 Admittedly, I set off earlier than peak time, but I see virtually no other cyclists in the park which makes me wonder what route they are taking.

Bowling Hall Road for me if I go that way.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Windy as hell on the way in and the way home. Why is there never a tailwind? Also got pelted with hail for a good 3 miles today. That wasn't in the forecast. However, I did come home to these bad boys today. Good bye cold hands in freezing temps View attachment 496047
Looks like you're turning your bike into a set of bagpipes.
Do it with a Brompton and you could busk on trains.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The headwind on the way in today was definately a good workout for the legs & lungs, but the tailwind this evening had me still accelerating on the uphill Garrison Lane coming away from Felixstowe seafront while in top gear!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lat nights commute home was absolutely.mind blowingly brutal. 45mph gusting winds and freezing cold rain. I can honestly say it wasn't one of the most enjoyable commutes of the year. There was no point battling the winds, so stuck it in a low gear and span my way home. Every now and then the wind would drop and I found myself spinning out at rabid 150rpm :-) feeling as though I had been shoved in the back.

Roll forward to this mornings commute and it couldn't be any different. A little colder maybe but no wind, no rain and a bit of sunshine.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Lat nights commute home was absolutely.mind blowingly brutal. 45mph gusting winds and freezing cold rain. I can honestly say it wasn't one of the most enjoyable commutes of the year. There was no point battling the winds, so stuck it in a low gear and span my way home. Every now and then the wind would drop and I found myself spinning out at rabid 150rpm :-) feeling as though I had been shoved in the back.

Roll forward to this mornings commute and it couldn't be any different. A little colder maybe but no wind, no rain and a bit of sunshine.
:cold:Brrr...I've had a couple of those lately, combined with numpty drivers who should've gone to Specsavers:wacko:. But at least I get to ride past Ullswater on my commute!🌞

Mike_P

Guru
Forgot to mention the other advantage of using the polluting thing Monday was my missing glove reappeared just when I did not need it. Back on the ebike today and the return was enlivened by discovering the cycle paths crossing of the A61 had a complete set of dead traffic lights
Eventually spied almost sufficiently wide a gap and made a successful crossing only then to encounter dog walkers and discover the bell had gone mute. Looks like something to add to the shopping this evening.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I got gritted on the way home this evening.

Very slippy on paths this AM when walking the dog, I bottled cycling and got the bus, which seemed extra cold and drafty today. It's the first time I've felt too cold outdoors this year. Despite already wearing 4 layers, I think it's time serious thermal base layers came out of storage. I've also noticed my polyester jumpers just aren't up to the job. Looks like I need to invest in some decent lambs wool crew necks. It's now getting too cold for sedentary behaviour. :cold:

Ride in had a bit of a tailwind and the good news is the wind is going to shift so may get a bit of a tailwind on the way home .
Through Barking it stunk like a sewer, defo wasn’t gas, never smelt that there before so I wonder what it was.
2 guys tried racing me up canning town flyover, beat the pair of them but they did not give up, 1 went through red lights and overtook me whilst I was sat at them, the other went via the shared use path circumventing the lights. However its 2 lanes after the lights and we wanted to turn right , the red light jumper could now not turn right as he was in the wrong lane and swamped by cars, the guy on the path had to wait at a ped crossing, I was in the fast lane behind a car and made the right turn, beat them to the next lights. When I went off from the lights, a guy I know who is very fast ( does 20 min 10 mile TT’s) came past and I jumped on his tail and drafted hm for the next 1.5 miles ( we did chat as well) The 2 pursuers were toast. I then could not hold onto him, 25 versus 35mm tyres and my 20+ years meant I was also beat. All good natured fun though and passes the time of day.

simongt

Guru
Then it changed to 'damn chav's, their going to get killed and give us all a bad name' and then tutted..
You must be getting old - ! :laugh: When I see such antics, I now tend to think 'We were all young & irresponsible once - !':rofl:
Maybe there's also a certain amount of envy as we didn't have the kit that youngsters have now - !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Stupidly close slow overtake - punishment for not being on the pavement. I will report this later.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Heavy rain & strong winds on the way in this afternoon and a first test for my new Gore jacket which passed with flying colours. Just need a decent pair of overtrousers now.

Top Bottom