Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Decided to use the 29er and take in a couple of bridleways on the way to work. Won't be doing that again for a bit as parts have been badly torn up and rutted from tractor & truck movement for the local beet harvest. One of the "quiet lane" roads leading off one of these was also covered in a thick layer of mud - I'll see if it's been cleaned up on the way home.

Mike_P

Guru
Oh well, did not get the other job either but then I would have been in more shock if I had.
Anyway a bit more alert on the homeward commute and decided to see if a footpath was passable, it was :okay: and knocked an awkward bit off the road bike route which otherwise involves a left turn onto the A59 at a busy location on it and then typically stuck in or carefully sneaking along the inside of a queue of traffic to take the first left to rejoin the A59 further on where it is noticeably less busy. Old route v new route:

Heigue'r

Veteran
If you shout at enough badly driven cars over a decade of commuting, eventually one of them will be driven by your wife. :ohmy: :stop::smooch:
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A lot of clots about this morning !

I watched a white van driver pull out on an approaching cyclist at Frogland Cross, I can't see how the rider avoided a collision. I was two cars behind the van. The cyclist was going downhill - thankfully not too fast to grab a fistful of brakes.

I took primary & stuck my arm out to block a driver from overtaking me on the approach to a completely blind bend, which as we got there had a van coming around it in the opposite direction. If I hadn't stopped her she would have smashed into the van or swerved into me.

Paid too much attention to met office ice warning, not a patch in sight on the walk to the bus this AM. Annoying, but ah well, probably got to share the bus with Novel Wuhan Coronavirus. Lol.

Well as soon as it's confirmed in the UK, I'll be sticking with cycle commuting regardless of weather. I observed one bloke reading about it in the Metro, he put the paper down part way through, picked up his mobile and started searching amazon for face masks and alcohol hand rub. The paranoia is palpable.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The grotty weather of the past few months has claimed a victim in the shape of the rear mudguard of my SKS Raceblade Longs. Same failure as the last set in that the sprung slip securing the guard to the frame fixing has broken due to a combination of the guards being taken off more often for bike cleaning and road vibration. They didn't last as long as the last set probably as they've been in use more often.

I've had a spare set in the shed ready and these have now been fitted, so I'm on the lookout for some more if anybody spots any offers.

Mike_P

Guru
Annoying commutes today due to kit issues. Stuck head outside this morning to see if there was any ice about, the water on the garden table cover is a good indicator and in the darkness had not expected the heavy shower that was occurring. So waterproofs donned along with the Aldi ski gloves and stuffed a pair of cycling gloves in the rucksack for the warmer return. Turned out by now it had stopped raining so cycled into work with an excess of kit.
Now for the return did I say I put a pair of normal gloves in the rucksack, turned to two different left hand gloves:banghead:

Last edited:
Top Bottom