Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wed 7th

Old railway embankment
Between ‘Stanley Ferry & NewLands Woods
(circa 16:20)

It's nicely dried out now, but wider?!
It looks like either a pick-up, or the local ‘Moto-Cross Mob’/‘Quad-Squad’ have been along it?

It was certainly a lot drier than one of my last rides along the same diversionary route home
(I also rode along here in mid-March, & failed a climb, due to wheelspin)

Road-Trip. 41.jpg

I'm approximately where the 'd' of 'Dismantled Railway' is on the OS map
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2451643

Edit @ 19:39
I rode that way, to look for this stone

Last edited:
Thursday 8th

Old railway embankment
Between ‘Stanley Ferry & NewLands Woods
(circa 16:25)

Just a few hundred yards along from yesterdays picture, I tend to drop off the embankment here, & then turn left towards the (remaining ruinous) Stable Block of NewLands Hall
The River Calder can just be seen, to my right

Road-Trip. 43.jpg

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
No pictures today, but half the way in at 6.15am, I rounded a bend and came across a Roe Deer grazing on one of the banks. It stared at my lights and froze for a few seconds and then began a gentle trot ahead and I followed it for a 1/4 mile maintaining a distance of about 30 yards. It then popped though an open gate into a field and stopped to watch me pass.

A mile or so further on, I startled two Roe Deer in a field to my left and they bounded away like Springboks being chased by a lion.

I've seen more deer in the last few weeks on my bike than I have ever seen in my preceding 59 years put together (it helps that on an MTB, my head is above hedge height).

Turns out there's a bit more to cycle commuting than riding a bike to work.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Right weather Gods. What the hell is with the snow in SE Londonshire this morning? It's bloody April. I'm a commuting cyclist. I don't want to be battling a full blown arctic blizzard on the way to work OK.

This time last year under lockdown we were sunning ourselves in the garden supping on Pink Gin and Lemonade.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Sunset 16:20 today!

Mudguard bolt fell out this morning, cabletied on for the way home.

Still cable tied. The brake bridge clip (plastic) gave way today so that has been replaced by a cable tie. There is also a cable tie attaching the bit between the chainstays*

One bolt left...

Now it's light in the evenings I might get around to looking in the bits box for a replacement.

*I generally always do that anyway- it's a good way to fix them down there.

An ‘interesting’ commute to work this morning....

1. Passing Lee Brigg Chemist, there was a Ford Focus behind me, holding back
As usual, there were parked cars to my side, by George Street
Opposing traffic appeared, l’m holding a ‘primary’ position
The Focus driver decided to try to overtake, then move left into me
A thump on the car drew attention
The elderly male driver was apologetic in response to my polite question of “What was that manoeuvre?”
Apparently he didn’t see me... on a lime-green bike/lime-green jacket

2. By the bridge over the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal, a Renault coming the other way
The driver had a huge mobile phone stuck in the screen (about the size of a postcard)
I couldn’t see her face/shoulders!
Imagine a kiddie/OAP crossing the road, & her not seeing them
Needs charging with ‘Driving Under The Influence Of Stupidity’

3. This could have been nasty
Aberford Road, approaching the right turn, onto Stanley Hill
I had my arm out signalling a turn
The driver of a 8x4 tipper decided he was going to try & come round me, as l was moving over
(he was well back, when l looked over shoulder, before putting arm out)
Thankfully he decided to back off, & hang back
And for his disregard, l got 2-fingers out of his win

Zanelad

Guru
A commute of two halves. I fell off in the office car park a couple of feet from where I dismount. The front wheel stopped dead in a rut in the gravel. I hate riding on gravel! Usually I unclip one side for such eventualities. Today I didn't. I had time to consider my foolishness as I toppled slowly to the floor. No harm done apart from my pride and a sore foot that took the brunt of the fall.

The ride home was the first of the year iin a short sleeved top.

Top Bottom