Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bored, did a different route today. Mix of urban throroughfare (OK), dual-carriageway (meh) and lanes (nice).

Wasn't sure how far it was so measured it on gmaps pedometer- set it to 'automatically for cyclists' and it shows you the route your local authority expect you to take 😄
View attachment 600381
Bonkers.. but no suprise

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
And I'll bet if you ask them what sort of measures they're using to encourage cycling they'll say "we've made a route finding APP..."

Last time I attended a local cycling forum in person there was plenty of stuff about apps and gleaning data on trips from Strava*

(There was also quite a lot of stuff about bike share- which admittedly has been susequently delivered)

*These aren't the cyclists you are looking for!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The A4147 onto the industrial estate has been completely closed this week. As a result it's been very quiet on my route so I guess most drivers are using the Motorway or the A41. My back-route to the industrial estate has got a bit of extra traffic with drivers using it to get around the closure.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The A4147 onto the industrial estate has been completely closed this week. As a result it's been very quiet on my route so I guess most drivers are using the Motorway or the A41. My back-route to the industrial estate has got a bit of extra traffic with drivers using it to get around the closure.
Its the school holidays too or doesn't that effect your route?
I have to pass at least 3 schools on my route. Its an absolute joy not having to put up the with dreadful school run mums.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Its the school holidays too or doesn't that effect your route?
I have to pass at least 3 schools on my route. Its an absolute joy not having to put up the with dreadful school run mums.

It's always a lot quieter during the school holidays, but this week it's been extra quiet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
First commute in 5 1/2 years since breaking my spine. 99% off road, Peak Canal then Ashton Canal into New Islington, then cycle lanes and a tiny bit on road over to the office. 12.5 miles down hill. All uphill on the way back.

Need to fettle the rack to add some dampening (old inner tubes wrapped round) as the panniers were bouncing and rattling. Had to stop twice as the lower 'arm' on the Ortlieb popped out from the rack both sides due to the vibrations on canal cobbles. Laptop survived in a towel - will order a better solution for next time.

Locks are going to be left at work due to weight.

Many more runners on the canal as I neared Manchester.

Oh and next to nobody here !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
First commute in 5 1/2 years since breaking my spine. 99% off road, Peak Canal then Ashton Canal into New Islington, then cycle lanes and a tiny bit on road over to the office. 12.5 miles down hill. All uphill on the way back.

Need to fettle the rack to add some dampening (old inner tubes wrapped round) as the panniers were bouncing and rattling. Had to stop twice as the lower 'arm' on the Ortlieb popped out from the rack both sides due to the vibrations on canal cobbles. Laptop survived in a towel - will order a better solution for next time.

Locks are going to be left at work due to weight.

Many more runners on the canal as I neared Manchester.

Oh and next to nobody here !
Good to see you back on the commute Fossy

fossyant

Good to see you back on the commute Fossy

Been a long time - not 'officially' back into work till September, so will see how the days go - possibly still car sharing with MrsF, but the traffic between my work and her's is bad this side of Manchester, so I might take the opportunity of more cycle commutes. It's 25 mile round trip and about 8 is on gravel/mud tow path. I'll still be paying for car parking (otherwise impossible). Not so sure I'll ride if it's tipping it down in the mornings.

fossyant

Must say today's commute was rather pleasant along the canal. Two tricky cobbled bridges to negotiate, one you've got to walk down as it's stepped and slippy, then a rather 'interesting' bridge under Alan Turing way which is right next to a lock. Very tight switchback - says cyclist's dismount- I know why now - I went down both legs out sat on the top tube :laugh:. I'll go up the ramp and dash across the dual carriageway instead.

Panniers were heavy - not ridden with them for a while. The old MTB is a tank, but felt more of a tank today. I did set a strava second fastest time over a 3 mile flat stretch, so can't be too much slower. Ride home will be a little more jiggery pokery getting across near Piccadilly station than this morning - need to work out a decent route.

fossyant

Only one nobber on the ride back, just on the last 1/2 mile at some traffic lights. Me going straight on, one driver chances turning right, wait for it, second driver goes for it. I'm on the brakes and shout 'wow', driver slows. I point to my eyes and say 'use your eyes'. Woman driver gives me the Vs so she gets told to go forth.

World is full of em.

fossyant

Oh, despite the idiot, it was a decent ride back along the canals. Lot's of pleasantaries exhanged with dog walkers, walkers, runners, families. The cobbled climbs were OK with the panniers except one on a tight turning circle and the gradient/weight lifted the front wheel. Despite some adjustments the panniers still pinged off the lower clip. If I remember correctly, I think I added a bungee cord to hold the bottom on when I previously MTB commuted. Definately need to use chopped up inner tube for some cushioning as they don't half rattle (some would say a safety feature for pedestrians). :laugh:

Top Bottom