Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Not actual commuting, but whilst having an al fresco coffee on Saturday morning in the city, an auld manny walking his dog on a footpath was narrowly missed by a food courier cyclist on the same footpath. Odd thing was that the pedestrian apologised to the cyclist - ! :wacko:
A new take on pedestrians thanking drivers for stopping at the red on a pelican crossing - ! :laugh:

slow scot

Veteran
Not actual commuting, but whilst having an al fresco coffee on Saturday morning in the city, an auld manny walking his dog on a footpath was narrowly missed by a food courier cyclist on the same footpath. Odd thing was that the pedestrian apologised to the cyclist - ! :wacko:
A new take on pedestrians thanking drivers for stopping at the red on a pelican crossing - ! :laugh:
“Auld Manny”?
Are you sure you’re frae Norwich? An Aberdonian surely!!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cracking ride this morning and evening. This is definitely my favourite season to ride ( I’ve never been a fan of really hot weather)
Sunset was wonderful but I don’t think the poor, trapped souls on the M.61 heading towards Manchester thought so

Having not commuted on a bike for over a year now due to Covid and the office moving . I thought the size of my gut now indicated that I should get my arse back into gear and try a commute to the new office which is situated in a ghastly industrial estate in Hoddesdon.
The commute seemed it was going to a pain in the proverbial, ( it does not make a huge amount of practical sense to commute by bike its only my lack of fitness and expanding waistline forces me back into the game) very early train to West Ham then a 20 mile blast up the canal path northwards.
I was expecting pitch blackness and hordes of cyclests wobbling all over the place and pedestrians throwing themselves under my wheels as i dinged my bell at them.
I was on the path by 06:40 and it was quite light, 30 mins later no light needed. As it was hardly any cyclist at all, on the way up one guy on a ebike sailed past and I went past a whole 3, only saw probably 10 coming the other way. It was similar with joggers/dog walkers.
I thouroughly enjoyed it, 2 sets of traffic lights in 20 miles , probably only 1-2 miles on road, the rest just me a tow path,canal and shed loads of boats. Very slow compared to my old road route to the old office but I think 2 or 3 times a week will be fun, hopefully journey home tonight will be just as enjoyable.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It's got to that time of year where it doesn't matter much if the sunset gets any earlier or sunrise later, it's dark at the start of both legs of my commute.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Still going throught the quietway (bollards still intact) even though it's really dark and leaf-skoggy in the evening.

Well my new commute route not so enjoyable on the way home last night, only due to being very dark and relying on my exposure Strada light nearly all the way to keep me on the path and out of the canal and avoid pot holes, I was not used to the levels of concentration needed. At the 15 mile point I hit a bump and I whaked the back of the saddle causing it to tilt up , bouncing on the front of the saddle did not budge it. I could not be arsed to stop and get tools out to sort it.
I did the commute again this morning and found my butt needs toughening up for the relatively bumpy canal path route . Also found my main obstacles were now Geese and Moor Hens wombling all over the place, makes a change from lunatics in white vans

Shortly after joining the canal path I spotted a red light winking in and out far ahead and idly wondered if I would catch it. Slowly but surely I caught up and at the 8 mile point I caught the light that was strangely disapearing and re-appearing. Mystery solved, it was two riders the lead rider had front and rear lights, the rear rider none at all. They looked to be father and son with the son being about 15 with no lights at all. Seemed a bit strange to me that the dad had not insisted the kid had lights as at 06:30 in the morning its pretty pitch black on the tow path.

Top Bottom