Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i have been in shorts for a couple of weeks , even at midnight as long as its 10 c im ok leg wise , i still need arm warmers and a gilet at times though !

I think your family may prefer you to change clothes more frequently.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I drove to work today, observing the speed limits, along a road I usually cycle.

What I found interesting was that I observed a similar number of drivers "stuck" behind me as when I ride my bike.

And still the one-second rule seems to have supplanted the two-second rule. At least in my car I had a towbar & steel cage to protect me from being rear-ended if I'd needed to stop suddenly.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
close pass by a coach , shouted a warning so the driver stops dead in the road , this is one of the main routes into Repton so a busy road.I stop behind the bus as im not daft enough to try and reason with anyone who acts like that , eventually the coach pulls off but no faster than 12 mph for the next half a mile or so.Theres a big queue of traffic now backed up behind us all i assume are not very happy and i gesture to the car behind about the coach .
Eventually the driver must have got bored and sped up

What a sub normal twonk !

rivers

How far can I go?
I've got some long days this week that require either the 6:40am or 7:11am train to work and a sometime after 10pm train home. I decided to use my Sublime (aero road bike with 25mm tyres) instead of my Orro (gravel bike with 40mm tyres) so I could get to the train station as quickly as possible. I forgot how jarring it is on the bumpy canal path. Good thing I'll be taking the roads tonight. My gravel bike is so smooth on the bumpy path, but it is a good 6 minutes slower to the train station.

The first 5k of the commute on Mondays is flat and on a paved "Feldweg" closed to traffic but paved. It also runs alongside the main road which my colleague drives along, so of course I try to be as far along as possible before she overtakes me in her car.

Today the tailwind was so strong I was in the big ring the whole way, but I didn't see her car so I assumed I'd missed it or she'd passed me as I went behind a building.

Then she passed the end of a street in the next town as I was approaching the junction. The way through this town for cars is a bit longer than for bikes so I pushed it a bit and caught up with her in the main road.

I bet she didn't notice.

The second half of the ride turns towards the south so the tailwind becane a vicious cross wind that dropped twigs in me and tried to blow the bike sideways, which isn't fun when riding along a 5m high embankment; I was glad to get back out of the wind...

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
17° so stopped to take jacket off and snapped a quick pic. GF text to say she was leaving work late so 4 miles became 10. Bike is in urgent need of service, lots of squeaks, creaks amd crunches. Tomorrow will be its last commute for a while while it gets stripped down for the new groupset, headset and full service.

20220523_194144.jpg

Persisting it down for the first 2 miles, then gentle rain for the next 8 then dry for the rest. Not many cyclists or joggers or dog walkers about so a serene ride by the canal. got to work to find a email anouncing Bruce Springstein is touring in 2023, not in the uk though but this may be my last chance. So emailed the missus as first tickets go on sale in 2 days.

Top Bottom