Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
One of those days when I was very glad not to be driving, the roads were rammed with single-occupant commuters all sat still for ages. Roadworks and a crash on the M5 seem to be to blame. My commute was at least a minute slower because of all this, and I pulled over to let drivers past on a road where the opposite carriageway was clogged with queuing vehicles.

I was expecting it to be finally dry this morning. It was mostly but when I cycled to the train station it was still horrible. When I got off the train though it was grey but dry main ride but by the time I was sitting in the office I was staring out to a beautiful day, typical 🙄

It's supposed to be a recovery week so I didn't plan a hard commute in the evening but I wanted to test out my new Garmin front light which reacts to speed. It was so good in conjunction with my other lights (The Garmin UT800 + 2xNiterider Swifts + a Cateye Volt 400 on the helmet) that I got a bit carried away on the dark country lanes. No driver flashed, so hopefully they are not overpowering but on dark lanes they were ideal 👍

Screenshot_20221122-190807_Instagram.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The weather has been completely shyte this month. I don't think i've ever has so much continual rain on my commutes.
The most I have ever recorded over a year is 34 rainy commutes. So far this year we are now up to 41 rainy commutes.

We had an almost completely dry spring & summer. The rain has come in blocks since end of Spetember.

biking_fox

Guru
AT least yesterday was dry for me - the Pfairy hit. 1st time this year on MarathonPluses. Bit of arse to change by the roadside. Compounded by the fact I'd managed to pack the OtherHalf's schraeder valve tube instead of my own presta. :-( At least I had Park patches with me too. Still went flat again and a 2mile walk home in the dry could have been worse. Investigation at home in decent light showed the glass chunk buried sideways under the tyre construction which had poke through for a 2nd go. Couldn't feel it or see it, but knew something had to be in there somewhere and a bit of hunting found it.

And then very soggy - but with a still solid tyre - this morning. Looking lovely and bright sun just now.

rivers

How far can I go?
Due to the weather, I did the bike-train-bike commute to and from work today. No major issues on the way in. However, on the way home, I hit a pothole about halfway up the drive to Temple Meads (didn't see it until it was too late to avoid)- instant puncture in the rear wheel (currently have a tube fitted as I need a new tubeless valve). So the wife collected me from the train station at the other end. She's had a hell of a day with our little one- turns out he has hand, foot, and mouth

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nasty ride home on late shift , all the way near enough into a strong headwind and driving rain :sad:
Shoulder now sore again which i reckon the cold and damp is a factor

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nissan Juke.. Nissan Joke more like. What a shitbox, fugly cars, especially driven by entitled tossers who think it is ok to use a restricted bus lane to squeeze pass me very close to get 100 yards to the lights. Then proceeded to look direct ahead to now acknowledge me. Only doing so by beeping his horn when he got a w@nker sign from me.

Anyhoo.. lovely mornings commute. Not too cold, bit of sunshine and relatively clear roads. However, this afternoons ride home is looking like a complete washout with heavy rain.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nissan Juke.. Nissan Joke more like. What a shitbox, fugly cars, especially driven by entitled tossers who think it is ok to use a restricted bus lane to squeeze pass me very close to get 100 yards to the lights. Then proceeded to look direct ahead to now acknowledge me. Only doing so by beeping his horn when he got a w@nker sign from me.

Anyhoo.. lovely mornings commute. Not too cold, bit of sunshine and relatively clear roads. However, this afternoons ride home is looking like a complete washout with heavy rain.

I have the Juke of Hazard near me, it's a local hairdresser driving

View: https://youtu.be/JO8THp2PEaY

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
what a fecking day !
Got soaked both ways and coming home a chap i had never seen before on an old rigid mtb with slicks came off the cycle path in front of me without looking into the road and when i raised it to him as i passed he got angry and gave chase !I stopped and tried to talk to him calmly but he was the usual chip on the shoulder kind of guy and apparantly i should watch my mouth even though hes the one chasing and mouthing off at gone 1 am in the morning

Top Bottom