Tales from today's prescribed exercise period? (lockdown special?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been 'commuting to work' most days (all bar one where I did a 4.5 mile walk. Weekend has been 'jobs' rather than riding. Just done 10 laps of the field on our MTB's with Mrs F. She's feeling a bit sick now as she went too quick. I'll do my 'commute' later.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've been 'commuting to work' most days (all bar one where I did a 4.5 mile walk. Weekend has been 'jobs' rather than riding. Just done 10 laps of the field on our MTB's with Mrs F. She's feeling a bit sick now as she went too quick. I'll do my 'commute' later.
The field = your garden?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have
Actually that bit is phrased oddly:-

So that implies that a gathering of two is allowed. Also, they are effectively part of our household as we see each other so regularly. MInd you, I'm seldom if at all within 2 metres of the BiL - I'm usually at least half a mile behind :wacko:. Finally, they are guidelines. Both of our households are pretty much self-isolating and relying on deliveries, so risk is very low and it does get quite difficult to explain to a 4 year old that she can't see her cousins when they normally see each other almost every day.
No its pretty obvious. Yes you can have 2 out together if they live in the same house. Ie. I cannot ride with my brother who lives down the road.

Id like to reason with you but it appears you are bending the rules to meet your own ends. I wish you luck with that, really I do.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, we have a big field behind our garden - it was a school playing field but they haven't used it in years, so it's more the local dog walker's circuit. We did a few laps ! Stayed at least 5m from the dog walker on there.
But you still plan to go out again? Tut ;)

I have

No its pretty obvious. Yes you can have 2 out together if they live in the same house. Ie. I cannot ride with my brother who lives down the road.

Id like to reason with you but it appears you are bending the rules to meet your own ends. I wish you luck with that, really I do.
Steve, get some perspective - have you seen what they're doing in Sweden? And they're a lot nearer to you!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went out and did a strenuous 3 km flat round trip to Lidl last night for supplies. :whistle: That shopping included tins of chickpeas, kidney beans, and plum tomatoes for a friend in Hebden Bridge who hasn't been able to shop. I am going to cycle over there tomorrow and drop them off on her doorstep. A 15 km round trip if I go straight there and back, though I might feel like returning by a longer hillier route once free of the weight of the shopping.
I took the shopping over today on my singlespeed bike. My friend came out to the park in Hebden Bridge to pick it up. (It turns out the problem was actually shortages in her local shops rather than not being able to leave the house to shop!) We found a pair of adjacent benches and I sat at one end of one, and she at the far end of the other so we were 3+ metres apart. We had a chat sitting down and then did a couple of laps of the park chatting more, still at a distance from each other. I decided that I wouldn't extend the ride so I came straight back to Todmorden afterwards. There was a pretty chilly wind blowing today but it was nice to get out for an hour and have a face to face chat rather than being stuck on the phone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know what they are doing in Sweden. But two wrongs dont make a right.
I see what you did there... :okay:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran

Guidelines not rules. And yes, as a family we have agreed a risk assessment and are comfortable with the very slightly raised level of risk that cycling way behind my BiL entails. Although given my exhaustion yesterday, might be a while before I try that route again...

I suspect this week it'll be back to taking alternate daughters out for their daily constitutionals.

pawl

Legendary Member
Guidelines not rules. And yes, as a family we have agreed a risk assessment and are comfortable with the very slightly raised level of risk that cycling way behind my BiL entails. Although given my exhaustion yesterday, might be a while before I try that route again...

I suspect this week it'll be back to taking alternate daughters out for their daily constitutionals.

If the police stop you you could be in trouble

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sweden Thick as S....

Their reasoning. We have a lot of space and few people... Not in Stockholm. Where 18 died in a day.

Our society trusts each other to follow the rules... Not in Stockholm they dont. They are all sat out in the sunshine at cafes, next to each other.

Dont start me on the Swedes. :becool:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We live on the edge of an urban area. We have been doing daily walk of about 4-5 miles. We initially started going out at 7:00am, to minimise the number of people we might encounter (mostly dog walkers), but, as the days have passed, I am afraid Mrs @BoldonLad's resolve has weakened, so, today, it was 10:00am when we set off. Still carefully observing the "2metre rule" when encountering others. Plan is to incorporate a bit of cycling soon, perhaps, every other day. ;)

Milkfloat

An Peanut

Quite frankly I don't care too much if you and you families spread infections among your families, but I do care about the other people that you can go on to infect plus the people that they go on and infect ad infinitum. Add on to that the NHS staff that could be diverted to look after those people makes mixing the families just a tad selfish. When you say guidelines, you are wrong, the government themselves call them rules and also helpfully list the punishment for those who that actually need punishments rather than relying on people not to be nobs. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...avirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do
If you are wondering why I am getting worked up about this, two of my staff are in hospital at the moment with confirmed cases of Covid-19 and Pneumonia.

Top Bottom