Tales from today's prescribed exercise period? (lockdown special?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Guidelines not rules. And yes, as a family we have agreed a risk assessment and are comfortable with the very slightly raised level of risk that cycling way behind my BiL entails. Although given my exhaustion yesterday, might be a while before I try that route again...

I suspect this week it'll be back to taking alternate daughters out for their daily constitutionals.
It reads like a rule to me...
Do not meet others, even friends or family.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-at-home-and-away-from-others#staying-at-home

Sweden Thick as S....

Their reasoning. We have a lot of space and few people... Not in Stockholm. Where 18 died in a day.

Our society trusts each other to follow the rules... Not in Stockholm they dont. They are all sat out in the sunshine at cafes, next to each other.

Dont start me on the Swedes. :becool:
Oops - I've touched a nerve! Sorry.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm alternating 40-50km rides every few days, and 10-15km walks with E. It's easy for us in a small market town where we can be in countryside in 5-10 mins. Also gardening, & shopping for ourselves and elderly neighbours.
Zoom & House Party are useful for virtual gatherings, plus Whatsapp and the usual social media stuff.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran

It quite literally says "Guidance" in the links. However, we are digressing somewhat from the topic which was meant to be light hearted and about what people are doing for their daily exercise.

Sadly I don't have a Zwift, but I am enjoying taking the kids out for a constitutional on the now very quiet roads. Youngest is up to about 3 miles, the older child up to about 12 miles. Will they maintain this into the Easter Holidays though...

Last edited:
Quite frankly I don't care too much if you and you families spread infections among your families, but I do care about the other people that you can go on to infect plus the people that they go on and infect ad infinitum. Add on to that the NHS staff that could be diverted to look after those people makes mixing the families just a tad selfish. When you say guidelines, you are wrong, the government themselves call them rules and also helpfully list the punishment for those who that actually need punishments rather than relying on people not to be nobs. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...avirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do
If you are wondering why I am getting worked up about this, two of my staff are in hospital at the moment with confirmed cases of Covid-19 and Pneumonia.

Exactly. @icowden and his BIL might be prepared to take the risk for their own families, but it is also doubling the risk to other people either of those families may later come into contact with. They are doubling the risk of someone, maybe not themselves, needing to take up valuable health care, continuing to overload the NHS.

It is not about what is good for him, but what is good for the community, no matter how much he tries to justify his actions.

Top Bottom