Tales from today's prescribed exercise period? (lockdown special?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My first 90 mins exercise was unpacking and setting up my new turbo trainer and fitting the bike on it.

The next hour was spent trying it out. I was pretty pleased with the ride of the trainer and did get a fair workout.

It isn't a smart trainer so I may fit the Cateye Velo on the rear wheel to get some approximation of distance and speed for comparison over the coming weeks.

Should come in useful if the lockdown gets more strict.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My first 90 mins exercise was unpacking and setting up my new turbo trainer and fitting the bike on it.

The next hour was spent trying it out. I was pretty pleased with the ride of the trainer and did get a fair workout.

It isn't a smart trainer so I may fit the Cateye Velo on the rear wheel to get some approximation of distance and speed for comparison over the coming weeks.

Should come in useful if the lockdown gets more strict.

Ooh, I've been looking for a smart trainer to help me through the next three months (got my letter yesterday, bone marrow knackered so I'm on the list)
Seems like everyone has the same idea and I can't find any in stock for love nor money.
Might I ask where you got it?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ooh, I've been looking for a smart trainer to help me through the next three months (got my letter yesterday, bone marrow knackered so I'm on the list)
Seems like everyone has the same idea and I can't find any in stock for love nor money.
He says it isn’t a smart trainer, maybe non smart easier to get? :smile:

Last edited:

It's a Cycleops Fluid2. Got it off eBay, brand new in box.

They do seem to be in short supply.

Edit: As @vickster says it is not a smart trainer, but this thread, especially post #17, gives good advice about getting more out of a non-Smart trainer: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/turbo-trainer-help-please.258982/

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
14.5 miles on the MTB. Took a bit longer than I was expecting, but it included a climb that took 20 minutes and 1400 feet over Werneth Low. Bit knackered now. Set a PB on a loose descent - far quicker in the dry than the winter mud fest. Saw a few out on bikes, but nobody doing the climb, wonder why :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to go out for an hour on my bike today but there is a chilly wind blowing and it looked like rain was coming*** so I decided to go for a 20 minute stroll instead. I went to the railway station to pick up a Metro and was just heading back when I saw someone walking on the other side of the road. There was a man standing in a doorway ahead of him, smoking a cigarette. The walker suddenly had a severe coughing fit just as he drew alongside the smoker, about 1 metre in front of him. The conversation went like this...

Smoker: "Wow, that's a nasty cough you've got there, mate!"

Walker: "Yeah, it's bloody awful - I ain't stopped coughing for a week now!"

Oh, FFS! :eek::wacko:

*** The forecast was right - it started shortly after I got home.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
I'm getting a bit irritated by runners who pass you three feet away puffing and blowing like steam locomotives. The time on their running computers is obviously far more important than other people's health.

You will have to ride a little quicker if you have runners passing you🤪🤪🏃🏿‍♀️🏃🚵‍♀️🚵‍♀️

My girlfriend is living with me for the duration of the lockdown and said " get me cycle fit I want to go CX racing in the winter " . She has not ridden a bike for around a year so we have done a couple of light turbo sessions. Tonight we went for a baseline so we did a FTP test together ( I have power meters etc) got some interesting stats . I have lost 30 watts in the last couple of years. For her we have to work on leg speed ( 70 cadence on avg) and what she percieves as a effort as she a fair way from her max heart rate.
She is chuffed she made the entire 20 min warm up into the ftp and 20 min test without stopping . Not bad for a grandmother of 2 who hasn't ridden a bike for a year. ( note she is fairly fit as we dance 4-6 hrs per week ) .
The other good news our relationship seemd to be not effected by my cruelty of putting her through it.
She is now going to try to follow the sufferfest plan with me as she finds the videos amusing.

screenman

Legendary Member
4 mile walk, we are lucky in straight out our back gate is miles of open fields and river banks, followed by 30 minutes hard on the turbo then 40 minutes with Adriene. That is enough each day for this old guy.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I find taking the trike from my house a problem as there is a steep and narrow hill to get home again and with increasing traffic that is going to cause problems. Met our local polis and explained my problem and asked for advice as to distance I could take my car to find a better place for exercise. I don't think he quite understood what a recumbent trike was but it was all down to common sense and if I could justify it a 24 mile return trip might be ok but pushing the limits a bit. I don't think I will try it but finding other roads with suitable lines of sight with suitable passing places is not easy.

Top Bottom