Tales from today's prescribed exercise period? (lockdown special?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Can you keep the trike in a neighbours garage at the top of the hill ?
Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I live at the top of the hill and my trike lives in the car also at the top of the hill. Regardless of what I do I still have to get up the hill and walking with cleats is not an option.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Well what a lovely weekend we just had.

Went out on Sunday morning around the surrey hills. Accidentally did the route backwards from the last time so ascended up GreenDene. Gorgeous weather. A fair few cyclists out and about. 30 miles all told, at the "pushing it" end of the scale of hills for me. Only saw one irritated lady around East Horsley who declaimed to the world in general "this is ridiculous - I must have seen 200 cyclists in 10 minutes". However all cyclists I saw were very careful to take a wide berth around pedestrians and each other to ensure social distancing rules were kept.

The BiL kept a fairly universal distance of at least 200-400 yards from me at any one point in time.
Saw one dodgy moment caused by a well meaning chap who swerved out to give a family on a pavement a wide berth, but didn't check to see what was behind him - a car accelerating to overtake him. He nearly got clipped.

Loads of smiling faces and cheery waves though and just the right amount of sunshine. Not enough to incinerate me, but enough to keep me warm.

A couple of months ago I had lost a lot of fitness following a long layoff, partly due to injury and then the poor weather.

The week before the lockdown I bought a turbo trainer and have been alternating my riding between 1.5 hour road rides one day and 45 min turbo sessions the next. I don't like the turbo, but I must admit this regime has made a noticeable improvement in my stamina and speed (except one day the week before last when I went for a ride with my rear brake partly engaged :blush:)

In the 90 mins I am now going about 2 miles further and averaging 15 mph on a ride with quite a lot of climbing (not that impressive I know but quite good for me), and I have lost 5lbs.

As someone in the vulnerable age category I am sticking to the guidelines, but I can't wait till this lockdown is over (please let it be this summer) and I can get out on my favourite rides in the Brecon Beacons again to test myself against the bigger hills.

pawl

Legendary Member
A couple of months ago I had lost a lot of fitness following a long layoff, partly due to injury and then the poor weather.

The week before the lockdown I bought a turbo trainer and have been alternating my riding between 1.5 hour road rides one day and 45 min turbo sessions the next. I don't like the turbo, but I must admit this regime has made a noticeable improvement in my stamina and speed (except one day the week before last when I went for a ride with my rear brake partly engaged :blush:)

In the 90 mins I am now going about 2 miles further and averaging 15 mph on a ride with quite a lot of climbing (not that impressive I know but quite good for me), and I have lost 5lbs.

As someone in the vulnerable age category I am sticking to the guidelines, but I can't wait till this lockdown is over (please let it be this summer) and I can get out on my favourite rides in the Brecon Beacons again to test myself against the bigger hills.
vulnerable age group under regulations are you allowed to travel at that speed Happy to manage 13 MPH

Chapueau

vulnerable age group under regulations are you allowed to travel at that speed Happy to manage 13 MPH

Chapueau

I get loads of whippets of both sexes in lycra shooting past me as if I'm standing still. The route has a lot of flat riding, plus long gradual inclines that are not too steep and that I can make time up on the return trip.
I have never cycled as often in a month as I have since the middle of March.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran

Well, that's impressive to me. I'm only up to an average of 12mph (from 10mph)!. Thinking about asking for a trainer for my birthday :-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Been down my local gym this morning, fell off rollers, dented car bonnet!
Otherwise my Cycling mojo has returned with aplomb!

1819B4AE-20CA-40D0-84C9-D0423B2AC406.jpeg

06373552-A72C-4119-826B-A0D2EC8C2D15.jpeg

Well, that's impressive to me. I'm only up to an average of 12mph (from 10mph)!. Thinking about asking for a trainer for my birthday :-)

I can honestly say that this is the first time in the 11 years or so since I returned to cycling that I have actually spent time and effort trying to increase my fitness. Up until now my cycling has been just that, going out for a ride with no thought for stamina or strength. I am a lot more disciplined in this lockdown.

This won't last and once the lockdown is relaxed, with more freedom for leisure riding, I will go back to my old ad-hoc cycling ways, and I have a nasty habit of getting injured and having to have a 2/4 month layoff.

@Fab Foodie. I would never trust myself on rollers, it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Top Bottom