Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nipped out for a 16 mile round trip to call at Decathlon in Stockport because I need to get some winter cycling gloves for the BiL who has got the cycling bug in the last 12 months.
Unfortunately I came off the bike partway there on a sheltered corner. The schluuuuuurrrrrpp noise the tyres made as they both slid away from me makes me think I hit a patch of semi-thawed frost. It happened quite slowly, probably travelling not much over 10mph and had time to mutter ay-up as I went down on my left side. I wasn't hurt and was chuckling to myself as I slid along the ground and was back up looking around for any oncoming cars before the bike had stopped bouncing. A nice scuff to the outside of the XT SPD pedal and the XT rear QR but luckily managed not to rip the knee out of the longs I was wearing as I have only had them a few weeks. Straight back on the bike to continue the mission :okay:
The gloves are meant to be a Christmas present for him so I thought I would get him the best I could find in store but the sizing seems to be all wrong. He is not a small guy and as an ex-mechanic has pretty big hands, certainly bigger than mine, but all the gloves I could find were too tight for me to get on properly even in the largest 2XL size. It wasn't a wasted trip though, bought myself something as a reward for the effort and bravery - www.decathlon.co.uk/100-warm-cycling-jacket-black-id_8343186.html

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Been out again to collect the youngest half-pint from school and managed to stay right-side up this time :rolleyes:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry about your off @I like Skol :hugs:
Today's utility ride was to my two local community cycling hubs, trailer loaded with bits for donation, bits for the metal scrap bin, plus two Christmas wreaths I made from bike wheels :becool:
My only trailer hitch is attached to the ice bike for now, so riding the mini tractor with a fully loaded trailer was a bit of an effort.
Some of the local paths that I use are closed for resurfacing, had to take to the roads for a bit but it was a quiet time of day, so, all good.
Having achieved my mission, I loaded the now empty trailer with food shopping then headed back home: only about 6 miles all in for the day, never bothered to take the Garmin for this one.
Xmas trailer (640x360).jpg Xmas wheel (640x360).jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sorry about your off @I like Skol :hugs:
Today's utility ride was to my two local community cycling hubs, trailer loaded with bits for donation, bits for the metal scrap bin, plus two Christmas wreaths I made from bike wheels :becool:
My only trailer hitch is attached to the ice bike for now, so riding the mini tractor with a fully loaded trailer was a bit of an effort.
Some of the local paths that I use are closed for resurfacing, had to take to the roads for a bit but it was a quiet time of day, so, all good.
Having achieved my mission, I loaded the now empty trailer with food shopping then headed back home: only about 6 miles all in for the day, never bothered to take the Garmin for this one.
View attachment 153042 View attachment 153043
Someone remind me not to get Pat round to help with the Christmas deccies! :tongue:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Icy for the first trip out to a nearby village yesterday. I stuck to gritted roads except for the last two roads which are unavoidable. The ice bike was already out, so I was riding the old red roadster and running the tyres slightly soft. All good. Picture from the ride home:
IMG_20161130_103318.jpg

Second ride out was mid-afternoon so it had completely thawed and I was back on the Dutch bike because it would be getting dark on the way home and it has the best lights. Rode to a housing development consultation exhibition and was one of many people asking why they're trying to build a big fast four-arm roundabout slap bang on the middle of National Route 1. I need to send some follow-up emails about that before 9th December, which is only the day after the local cycling campaign's meeting so I'd best email something round to get it agreed before then.

Had a nice footle out tonight to the village hall for our branch of Cats Protection's Xmas do - two miles there, two miles back. Was the only person to arrive by bike, but at least it allowed me to succumb to the temptation of the cheese board and not feel guilty about it. :laugh:

Other reason was to road test the tweaks I've made to saddle and handlebar positions. That worked well, might I add. :smile:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Managed to convince my dad to come for a ride to the next town over. He got his neglected Dawes hardtail out of the shed, chucked a new innertube on the rear wheel, lubed the chain and readjusted the saddle.

I think we did about 17 miles for the round trip but went via the Christmas market on Whitstable harbour so I guess it counts as a utility ride. We refuelled with bacon at a greasy spoon before going home.

I continued the ride for another five or so miles before I decided I'd rather be on the sofa with a brew.

GOAB

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Managed to convince my dad to come for a ride to the next town over. He got his neglected Dawes hardtail out of the shed, chucked a new innertube on the rear wheel, lubed the chain and readjusted the saddle.

I think we did about 17 miles for the round trip but went via the Christmas market on Whitstable harbour so I guess it counts as a utility ride. We refuelled with bacon at a greasy spoon before going home.

I continued the ride for another five or so miles before I decided I'd rather be on the sofa with a brew.

GOAB

Ahhh, you're not far from me, I love Whitstable and occasionally ride out that way from Dover. Lots of up and downs all the way.

greekonabike

Ahhh, you're not far from me, I love Whitstable and occasionally ride out that way from Dover. Lots of up and downs all the way.

I used to work in Dover on the Coombe Valley estate. Used to knock around Deal and the local area quite a bit but wouldn't consider riding there just yet partly because of distance and hills. I'm in Herne Bay at the moment and I can imagine it being a bit of a slog.

GOAB

greekonabike

@greekonabike know what you mean, you spend the whole journey going up a hill only to go down the other side to go up the next. I used to hate hills but I've learned to just accept them. Fortunately none of them are that long. The longest being the first getting out of town in the first place. It's a mile uphill whichever direction you take.

Ha you'd have to get used to hills living in that neck of the woods. You've got Connaught Hill in one direction and London Road in the other. The roads out of the harbour leading to the A2 and M20 are hardly flat either. Maybe I'll make it my goal to cycle from here to Dover/Deal at some point next year.

GOAB

Today's ride was a quick 10 mile round trip to Tesco to have a gander at the yellow sticker cabinets. When I was in there yesterday doing the weekly grocery shop (and the Sunday YS lurk) I noticed that there was a job lot of cranberries dated for today, so thought I might swing by to get me some as they're great for chutney and stuff.

Of course there wasn't a single punnet to be had in the shop, yellow sticker or otherwise, but I did get me half a kilo of those giant prawns from the fish counter reduced to half price. :blush: They'll do very nicely for a lunch or two - and to keep a certain pair of felines happy. :whistle:

Still, I enjoyed the ride, even at commuter-o-clock. Was a bit foggy and pretty cold, but I wrapped up warm and it was good to get out. Not impressed by the suicidal pedestrians though. They spend ages on the kerb dithering, then step out right in front of you. Aaaaargh! :cursing:

greekonabike

Todays utility ride was a quick jaunt to the hardware store to get an allen key bolt for my front mudguard. They had over 500 different types of bolt but not the one I needed. I got an alternative and changed the bolt in my front mudguard outside the shop. Thank God for my multitool.

GOAB

Reactions: mjr

greekonabike

A perfect example of Sod's Law :laugh:

All I wanted was a 4mm allen bolt. I ended up with a 5mm furniture screw that does the job. I'm a bit miffed that a universal mudguard wouldn't come with a bigger bolt but there you go. It got me out for a ride.

GOAB

Top Bottom