Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My utility ride today was a few miles to scope out a new meeting point for my Sunday morning cycling group, calling into Sainsbury's on the way back for a few groceries.

Things got off to an underwhelming start when the first car to pass me did so way too closely - and I'm not as fussed by these things as some.

Obvious to me the driver chose his passing distance purely on the basis of avoiding oncoming traffic.

It's no wonder many leisure cyclists are not keen to ride on the roads.

I reached my first destination in one piece, had a coffee in the cafe there and moved on to Sainsbury's.

There was a slight disconnect between amount of groceries purchased and available luggage carrying capacity.

This meant my saddo bachelor roast dinner for one had to travel perched on top of the full trunk bag, and my lock had to travel stuffed down the front of my fleece.

That worked OK until my second stop at traffic lights when the lock fell onto the road.

Daft as it may sound, I barely heard it drop and had set off again before something clicked and I checked the road behind.

I don't cycle a lot at night and was surprised how dark it was on the off-road paths.

My Lezyne rechargeable did the job, although if I did a lot of night riding something will a bigger if not brighter beam would be required.

Despite the little wrinkles along the way, doing those two minor jobs was much more fun and interesting on the bike than it would have been in the car.

Nothing particularly special, just 4 miles clocked up while doing some volunteering for Cats Protection - taking photos of the new fosters for the branch website and picking up some paperwork for next month's fundraiser.

On the upsides, our branch co-ordinator's cats approved of my bike. :okay:

J1888

Über Member
Well, f*ck that for a game of soldiers - ride 6 miles from Waterloo to my folks on the hybrid, windy as anything - worse than Thursday. Like cycling through sludge - every pedal stroke was torture. Might take the road bike back home to make it easier.

Sixmile

Veteran
Yesterdays utility ride was a 5 mile round trip to Windsor Park in Belfast to pick up tickets for the Linfield v Crusaders game at the weekend. The main road to the ground was closed for resurfacing so it would've been a nightmare to get over in the car. My new Giro Rumble VRs are proving to be a great purchase.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well, f*ck that for a game of soldiers - ride 6 miles from Waterloo to my folks on the hybrid, windy as anything - worse than Thursday. Like cycling through sludge - every pedal stroke was torture. Might take the road bike back home to make it easier.
Hands as near the middle of the bars as you can and kiss the stem. Not so much difference with road bikes as you'd think. Don't worry about hands not being near the brakes: when the wind's that strong, sit up and stop pedalling and you'll stop in short order!

Nothing particularly special, just 4 miles clocked up while doing some volunteering for Cats Protection - taking photos of the new fosters for the branch website and picking up some paperwork for next month's fundraiser.

On the upsides, our branch co-ordinator's cats approved of my bike. :okay:
I read this earlier today, and then saw this on facebook, so decided to share it with you ....

(apologies for the derail)

View: https://www.facebook.com/hypedojodotcom/videos/1606396919652046/

Effyb4

Veteran
IMG_0297.JPG
It was a bit wet and windy on today's utility ride to get some shopping. Only 3 miles though and the waterproofs kept me dry.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
You are all hard as nails. I commute in the rain because I'm contractually obliged. I'd rather starve than cycle to Sainsbury's in the rain.

Lonestar

Veteran
You are all hard as nails. I commute in the rain because I'm contractually obliged. I'd rather starve than cycle to Sainsbury's in the rain.

I loved it coming back today...It p1$$£d down...better on return commute obviously...The east end drivers were more of a concern though.At least I got to test how $h1t my brakes were in the wet with one of those poor excuses of a driver.:o)

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I loved it coming back today...It p1$$£d down...better on return commute obviously...The east end drivers were more of a concern though.At least I got to test how $h1t my brakes were in the wet with one of those poor excuses of a driver.:o)
I love it about five minutes into the ride when everything is sodden, it's just those miserable fives minutes setting off.

And yes, it is slightly more effective praying for divine intervention than relying on my brakes in the wet.

Lonestar

Veteran
I'm baffled he crossed straight in front of me to get into a parking space and ended up blocking me so somehow I managed to stop...I just didn't bother asking...Likely to get nowhere as usual before the abusiveness comes out unless he (or she) wasn't looking for some reason.As it was raining I had both my front lights on...Could have been a mobile phone involved for all I know.The driving and foresight was appalling.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
A quick ride into town to spend a voucher and buy a shirt to go out in next weekend. I intended to use the cycle route on the footbridge in front of St Mary's church to cross the ring road, and got mixed up in a parade of Irish Catholics, complete with a pipe and drums band from Birmingham. As an aside, I went to that church's primary school - it seemed like I was one of the few kids that wasn't from an Irish family.

After buying what I needed, I rode home along Friargate as it's a bit flatter, dodging a dead pigeon in the cycle lane.

classic33

Leg End Member
A quick ride into town to spend a voucher and buy a shirt to go out in next weekend. I intended to use the cycle route on the footbridge in front of St Mary's church to cross the ring road, and got mixed up in a parade of Irish Catholics, complete with a pipe and drums band from Birmingham. As an aside, I went to that church's primary school - it seemed like I was one of the few kids that wasn't from an Irish family.

After buying what I needed, I rode home along Friargate as it's a bit flatter, dodging a dead pigeon in the cycle lane.
What was the dead pigeon doing?

Top Bottom