Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My utility ride today was a shopping trip to Aldi.

Time to fire up my freebie Rose rucksack because my push bike is not kitted out for the carriage of goods.

No Sheffield stands at the supermarket, so bike locking has to be improvised.

It's annoying that Aldi sell so much cycling gear but don't provide any cycle parking. After our local one revamped the trolley storage it's become harder to lock a bike to.

classic33

Leg End Member
Trip to the hairdresser and then picked up a few things from the shop. I bought a leek which was too big for the pannier and had to stick out of the top. Annoyingly at some point it's fallen out :angry: So that means I'll have to alter the plans for tomorrow's tea.
Maybe it really wanted one!

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My utility ride today proved what the likes of @Effyb4 and others on here already know.

The need to carry a few bulky items is not a valid excuse to take the car, although it's an excuse I've used often in the past.

The observant among you will notice I have gone 'full shopper' in the shape of an Orbea Katu.

Well, it was an ex-demo on clearance, the man in the bike shop was helpful, he took my old bike in part exchange, and the Katu is more suited to my use of a push bike - short, slow rides, mostly around town, and no significant climbing.

The fitted basket is a good size, although the mesh is widely spaced so small stuff needs to be in bags to prevent it falling though.

Not bad for a first effort, and I had no 'shopping in the road' calamities as I wobbled home on what was probably an overloaded bicycle.

Might make sense to deploy both pannier bags next time.

P1000449.JPG

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The need to carry a few bulky items is not a valid excuse to take the car, although it's an excuse I've used often in the past.
You should have left the bulky items on the bike for the photo ;)

The fitted basket is a good size, although the mesh is widely spaced so small stuff needs to be in bags to prevent it falling though.
Long-handled cloth shopper bags are good for that, as then you can tie the handles in a bow to stop stuff bouncing out as you cross the laughable UK idea of a "dropped kerb".

Effyb4

Veteran
My utility ride today proved what the likes of @Effyb4 and others on here already know.

The observant among you will notice I have gone 'full shopper' in the shape of an Orbea Katu.

Well, it was an ex-demo on clearance, the man in the bike shop was helpful, he took my old bike in part exchange, and the Katu is more suited to my use of a push bike - short, slow rides, mostly around town, and no significant climbing.

Not bad for a first effort, and I had no 'shopping in the road' calamities as I wobbled home on what was probably an overloaded bicycle.

Might make sense to deploy both pannier bags next time.

View attachment 353516

Welcome to utility cycling @Pale Rider The bike looks like it will be able to carry a fair bit of stuff.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Welcome to utility cycling @Pale Rider The bike looks like it will be able to carry a fair bit of stuff.

Thanks, it should carry enough for my purposes.

The supermarket is only a mile or so away, so it wouldn't be such a chore to make two trips if I had to.

In many ways, it's simpler and easier to take the bike than it is the car.

It's a matter of getting that into my head after years of taking the car every time.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another shopping trip for me today.

Having a bike set up for shopping makes the job a lot simpler, and therefore makes me more inclined to do it.

I could load my shopping onto any bicycle, but being able to shop like I had the car and then plonk the stuff into the basket is very convenient.

P1000451.JPG

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Saturday 'grocery rush hour'. 4 panniers of shopping including 4l of milk, 4l of mango juice, dishwasher tabs and other not-light stuff. And some crisps.

Only 6 miles (and two 10% climbs) but it was quicker and easier due to Saturday traffic and the queue of cars waiting to find parking. The writing is on the wall.

So that's about 12kgs and a couple of 10 per cent climbs.

Fair play, about half as much weight and the modest slope on my return leg is enough for me.

simon.r

Person
Why have I only just found this thread?!

A ttrip to Greggs for a bacon baguette and coffee (my Saturday treat!) a few bits of fruit and veg from the market stall opposite and then called into B and M for a large box of cat food. A lovely ride, despite (or maybe because of) the intermittent light rain.

Two conversations with people who asked about the Brompton - they're not common where I live.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Been visiting an elderly neighbour at one of the main city hospitals. On a good day the traffic around that area is very bad, and parking at or near the hospital is very difficult. The bus is an option, but they run hourly so it's a bit of a bind if you miss one.

Started cycling in. The route is about 6-7 miles, but largely off road or avoiding very busy roads. Have also started combining other little errands in ("I'll do that when I'm out on the bike"). Very enjoyable, and refreshing.

Just need to
a) get over my fear that my bike with vanish when locked up
b) find a way of cooling down quickly - even if I cycle gently I tend to find hospitals are like saunas and I need a good 20mins sat down outside to cool off or I turn into a sweat ball the second I walk in. I've started taking a book!

Woke up at 6.00 to a stunning day, tide coming in, sun shining, slight sea breeze. Mrs TB off for breakfast shift at local hotel at 7.00 so made her some coffee and porridge, fed the dog then walked her along the beach (the dog!)

On my return from walk my wife had left a short shopping list for me to get for some items for wedding she's catering for today. Excellent excuse to chose the fixed wheel steed and potter along coast path into Minehead (sea to my right, Exmoor to my left, sun on my back) picked up said bits and pieces from the shops and back again, just in time to see Mrs TB back from Breakfast shift before she shot off to wedding for the next ten hours!

Cycling over to Watchet at lunchtime to paint couple of rooms at our other house as new tenents due in week after next.

We're off to Woolacombe beach tomorrow, body boarding and general chilling!!!

Trip to the hairdresser and then picked up a few things from the shop. I bought a leek which was too big for the pannier and had to stick out of the top. Annoyingly at some point it's fallen out :angry: So that means I'll have to alter the plans for tomorrow's tea.

You can cycle with increased confidence when it rains though with the knowledge that...,,,, Your panniers don't have a leek!

(Sorry - couldn't resist)

Top Bottom