Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
What's a utility ride? Going to the shops on a bike?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What's a utility ride? Going to the shops on a bike?
This on a bike trailer ^_^
Going to the vet 2.jpg

fimm

Veteran
Yesterday my utility cycle was to pick up my other half's laptop that was getting a new battery after having coffee spilled on it, and to go shopping. Today I will cycle to the swimming pool. Later in the week I will probably cycle to the pub.

Pat "5mph"

I rode to town today to meet my auntie for lunch, about 8 miles there and back.
Nothing to report, apart that the snow is melting and becoming ice :cold:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My utility ride today was a mid-evening trip to Sainsbury's.

A whopping three mile return trip in surprisingly mild weather.

A still, clearish night made for excellent riding conditions - made me wish I'd gone out earlier for longer.

EthelF

Rain God
Not strictly speaking today, but I only just stumbled across this thread.

Like most weekends, on Saturday I popped across the Common to the butcher's and bread stall. It's only a couple of km each way, but it's quicker than walking or driving, and often my 6 year old son comes along too as it's mostly traffic free.
Frosty morning, so I gave my ice bike its first outing of the winter. Wasn't really necessary as it turned out.

After getting back I hopped on my bike again to collect said son from a sleepover at a friend's house. Not far away, but still the sort of journey most people round here make by car.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Today's utility ride was my usual trip to Sainsburys, but it was combined with a road test of some fettling which may be of interest to commuters.

Or at least, of interest to those of you who run a Shimano Alfine hub gear bike.

I've just done an oil change, recommended at 500km which passed some time ago, but better late than never.

My first Alfine 11 conked out, but was replaced free of charge outside the warranty period by Madison Shimano.

The current one has been on the bike for a year or so.

The oil change procedure is straightforward, if fiddly.

Undo the tiny plug, attach a syringe, suck out the old oil, replace with 25ml of new, spin the wheel, change gears a few times, then suck out the oil again and refill with another 25ml of new.

The oil I sucked out was close to black and had a lot of filings in it, so changing it may have done some good.

I might be imagining it, but I think after the oil change the gear changes are a bit sweeter.

One thing I am sure of is the tendency for the chain to creep forwards when freewheeling has gone.

Shimano's kit to do the job is expensive.

The one I used for £20 looks just as good to me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Service-K...204765?hash=item2a2fa898dd:g:xcgAAOSw-vlVk-pH

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
After reading and seeing lots of pictures of shimano hubs used in British and British-like conditions and the horrible corrosion inside, I've started replacing the oil in mine with Landrover swivel grease based on Brucey of the CTC forum's advice. It's out of warranty anyway and if I kill it, I'll put a Sturmey Archer in instead. :smile:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
After reading and seeing lots of pictures of shimano hubs used in British and British-like conditions and the horrible corrosion inside, I've started replacing the oil in mine with Landrover swivel grease based on Brucey of the CTC forum's advice. It's out of warranty anyway and if I kill it, I'll put a Sturmey Archer in instead. :smile:

Grease is an interesting one.

Some of the Shimano hubs, possibly the Nexus ones, are filled with grease from the factory.

My Alfine 11 is certainly oil filled.

No way of putting grease in short of dismantling the hub, which is way outside my fettling grade.

I was pleased to get the oil change done without making a balls of it.

D

Deleted member 1258

Today's two utility rides were to the LBS, Ride in Lockhurst Lane, this morning taking the rear wheel off my fixed in to be trued, this afternoon to pick the trued wheel up, both trips done on my Eastway dressed in civies.

Pat "5mph"

What is it called when you stop at the shops during the commute?
Utility or commuting?
What if you ride to your pal's after work? ^_^

Top Bottom