Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
With a nod to the recent change in this board's title - and a nod to another long running thread on it - I thought we should have a thread for utility rides.

Given that commuting doesn't count for this purpose, and given my view is that very few people cycle for utility, I don't expect many replies.

Let's hope I'm proved wrong.

It falls to me to start the thread, so my utility ride today was a trip to the supermarket.

Notable because it was my first ride in slippery conditions on my studded tyres.

Not the sternest of tests, there wasn't much black ice about and the weather was starting to give a bit by the time I set out around 11am.

On t'other hand, I wouldn't have ventured out in these conditions on ordinary tyres, so the studs have already done their job by increasing my opportunities to ride.

It was slippery in places, and I'm fairly sure ordinary tyres would have given me some nervous moments, if not a tumble.

No dramas making steady progress on the studs.

After picking up some comestibles from Morrison's, I returned via my local bike shop to shoot the breeze and drink coffee.

I took the opportunity to order an oil change kit for the Alfine 11 hub on my Rose bike.

The owner of the shop has just bought some studded tyres for an all-night mountain biking event he's doing in Scotland.

He needs to bed them in by next Saturday, so we are going for a road ride at 6pm to get the job done.

Glad I called in.

About 12 miles done so far, with another 15 or so to do under lights later.

Ice tyre1.jpg

RedRider

Pulling through
I buy food in Nelson Longflap-sized batches and today was no different. Jaunt to my no-longer local bike shop then back via Lidl. Judiciously placed bags of nuts and rice protect bottle of red and all else piled on top with Longflap's flap deployed. Bungee not required.

Look forward to first pic of sideboard transported by track bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No picture from mine today but an uneventful shopping trip apart from the stereotypical white BMW buzzing me (close enough to kick if I was so inclined!) during the only 200m of road riding of my 3miles to the shops!

classic33

Leg End Member
Nothing going to be done for a few months, Dr's request.
But most of mine for the last 10 years have been on a purpose built utility quad. Over that time I've done shopping drops, having done my own. Carried a three piece suite for a neighbour to a recycling centre(for fun). Dropped off an old washing machine at the same centre and gone on to pick up it's replacement.
The look on the face of the two bringing it out, when they asked where I was parked & I showed them where was worth the trip alone. Strapped down for a gentle four mile trip home.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The next time I take a fridge/freezer to the recycling centre, I'll get pictures.
Do you do collections from the South West... The tip isn't that far away :giggle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not even 10 miles for me today, but it was an eventful journey!
Firstly I rode to the velodrome for a taster session organized by our local community social enterprise.
The Glasgow Belles on Bikes had organized a similar session last year, but I chickened out :laugh:
So, first time for me on a road bike, fixed, no brakes, clipless :eek:
As the coach kept saying, it is a race environment, no use hanging about, you must be fast. So, another place where the likes of Pat 5mph are not welcome: wonder if this coach drives a WV in his spare time :whistle:
Anyhoo, we discovered a few things: I can ride clipless, I can stop a fixed, Shimano road shoes size 7 fit me, road bike position on the drops is a killer, but if I stay on the hoods I can ride one handed.
Then I rode a few miles uphill to my pal's, she said she would be in on Sunday, I discovered she meant next Sunday!
Had great fun again taking the ice bike on ungritted paths, snow is melting away here.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Did you
Not even 10 miles for me today, but it was an eventful journey!
Firstly I rode to the velodrome for a taster session organized by our local community social enterprise.
The Glasgow Belles on Bikes had organized a similar session last year, but I chickened out :laugh:
So, first time for me on a road bike, fixed, no brakes, clipless :eek:
As the coach kept saying, it is a race environment, no use hanging about, you must be fast. So, another place where the likes of Pat 5mph are not welcome: wonder if this coach drives a WV in his spare time :whistle:
Anyhoo, we discovered a few things: I can ride clipless, I can stop a fixed, Shimano road shoes size 7 fit me, road bike position on the drops is a killer, but if I stay on the hoods I can ride one handed.
Then I rode a few miles uphill to my pal's, she said she would be in on Sunday, I discovered she meant next Sunday!
Had great fun again taking the ice bike on ungritted paths, snow is melting away here.
Did you get off the bottom? The session I watched last year looked fun though a little scary but something I'd like to give a go! I think:whistle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Did you

Did you get off the bottom? The session I watched last year looked fun though a little scary but something I'd like to give a go! I think:whistle:
I went up as far as the third upper bit, then the coach told us to try the uppermost, but to be fast, least we cause a crash. So I didn't go up, could not really muster the speed.
But I'll fit the mb clipless pedals I've had in the cupboard for ages to one of my bikes, the one I will use on my next tour :okay:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a snoop around the Manchester velodrome last year - interesting because I'd never been inside one before.

As Pat says, the coaching seemed to be 'give it some wellie or get off'.

I was in my work clothing, but to be fair to the instructor he offered to let me have a go, something which you usually have to book in advance.

No chance, I'd seen the bikes on the way in, horrid racey roadie Ridleys with razor blade saddles, rubber band tyres and, to be realistic, the wheels were a bit lacking in the spoke department for the likes of me.

Top Bottom