Talk about wasting water!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
You cant square R and then apply 3.14 . Thats just a massive guess .

Yes, it's just circling around the problem.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A couple of days ago, the family that rent the house next door to us put a massive round pool up in the garden, about 3m across and 1.5m deep and filled it. They then spent about half an hour playing in it.
We assumed they'd put a cover on it and use it through the summer but the next day they emptied it, via a hose straight down the drain!
I reckon it was around 7000 litres (wasn't filled to top) of water for 30 minutes of splashing about, then that evening he was out watering the garden with a hose!

No mention of it being heated I notice. It must be very warm down there in Hampshire. We don't have cold water leisure pools in darkest Lancashire.:cold:

D

Deleted member 26715

I remember as a kid going to the local lido, it was crammed in the summer holidays & the weekends leading up to it, in their infinite wisdom the local council closed the 3 of I know saying nobody would want to go to an outdoor pool these days. Bet they never asked the kids!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I remember as a kid going to the local lido, it was crammed in the summer holidays & the weekends leading up to it, in their infinite wisdom the local council closed the 3 of I know saying nobody would want to go to an outdoor pool these days. Bet they never asked the kids!

Pah when I were a kid we went to Thurlo watersplash (Thurlaston ford) in the summer,

0_LM-FORD-JUNE5.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
It's peanuts compared to the water usage of our soon to be new neighbours Ineos. They are going to transport via road approximately 5 million gallons to Frack a few hundred meters from our house. That's just one pad and there are going to be multiple pads around us.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks fun

Aye it gets a bit deep in winter, I think it is the river Soar, I know the Soar heads out that way out the back of Narborough but whether that bit is the river or a tributary I'm not sure. It gets really fun about half a mile upstream from there where there's an old (Victorian?) weired dam (a dam with a weir over the top) that is used to power an irrigation system and creates quite a big lake. It then heads off towards Earl Shilton and I'm sure it's the same stream that feeds the fishing lakes at Mallory Park (they're artificial) before leaving there under the middle of Gerrards.

EDIT

The pump is known as a 'Ram Pump' it uses pressure in a large cylinder to drive a small cylinder that automatically 'lifts' water.

View: https://youtu.be/aUTjVovpKvA

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Our daughter's paddling pool is emptied on the garden and into the water butts when the water starts to go green. Silly to waste it for want of a few minutes with watering cans & buckets.

Smudge

Veteran
I collect run off rainwater for watering the garden, washing patio & garden furniture, and washing my cars, motorcycles and bikes. It doesn't leave water marks on my vehicles like tap water does. Plus it saves me money as i'm on a water meter.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Do you talk to your neighbour or are you a typical Brit with a penchant
I collect run off rainwater for watering the garden, washing patio & garden furniture, and washing my cars, motorcycles and bikes. It doesn't leave water marks on my vehicles like tap water does. Plus it saves me money as i'm on a water meter.
My father in law told me about this years ago. I use rainwater the same way as you.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A couple of days ago, the family that rent the house next door to us put a massive round pool up in the garden, about 3m across and 1.5m deep and filled it. They then spent about half an hour playing in it.
We assumed they'd put a cover on it and use it through the summer but the next day they emptied it, via a hose straight down the drain!
I reckon it was around 7000 litres (wasn't filled to top) of water for 30 minutes of splashing about, then that evening he was out watering the garden with a hose!
Not a lot of thought going on there then.

gbb

Legendary Member
Proper (or at least half way proper) way to use an inflatable pool (approx 8ft round d, 2 ft deep, was fill it last night, someone's been in it ALL this afternoon, perm any combination of 2 grandkids, their mum and dad, my wife or me. The fun those kids have had is immense...the adults quite enjoyed it too. Given temps of 35 plus, wonderful way of keeping cool for hours on end.
It'll get used tomorrow and maybe the next day depending how the water quality holds up. Not sure beyond that.

Top Bottom