Talk me out of it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like a versatile bike at he price but orange and pale blue just don't go together for my eye. Personally I would go for the all blue option.
I have heard that Ribbles customer service reputation is not allways great.
It’s red surely?

Venod

Eh up
Ribble have a good reputation in some quarters. I've never rated them especially.

I remember their early aluminium frames or was it the steel ones ?, they were not very well regarded, they seem to have a better reputation nowadays though, although because of their early reputation I have never considered them, perhaps a bit of bad judgement on my behalf.

Last edited:

Gary E

Veteran
I have 2 friends that bought the previous model of the CGR and they’ve both had nothing but good things to say about them. They’ve ridden them on all terrains and in all weathers both for regular commuting and social rides, neither of them has had any issues more serious than needing to re-index the gears (and that was after months of use).
If this new model is half as good I’ll be getting one :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I remember their early aluminium frames or was it the steel ones ?, they were not very well regarded, they seem to have a better reputation nowadays though, although because of their early reputation I have never considered them, perhaps a bit of bad judgement on my behalf.
I associate Ribble with complaints about customer service more than much wrong with the current frames. For example https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anyone-got-any-views-on-ribble-cr3.191614/#post-4047593 but I'm sure searching will find many more and some more recent.

tom73

Guru
Find this thread interesting i'm currently looking at this very bike too ever since I clocked it on launch day. Firstly it look's way better than the pictures and it's orange for sure. The blue and white bits do look a bit odd and I did not like them at 1st but when you see it they really are not that bad and add to it in a funny way.

Ribble a few weeks ago via facebook did live Q&A about the carbon version so maybe worth a look for a few pointers. One of the questions is about the frame design which may not be for everyone. But having seen it can't see it being an issue it's not as thin as it look's so should be fine going stuff the bike is design to do.

As for the bike over all It look's stunning a nice all-round bike with a good range of tyre sizes with added flexibility of 700 or 650 wheels. I can't see it letting you down if it's 1/2 the fun to ride as my current Ribble then it's will be a joy to ride.

It's also funny that Sonder should come up too as this has been a thought of mine when thinking about which one. (it's till is partly)

As for service every one will have own view and experience just like with any company. I can't fault them having tried a fair few other placers and got some truly shocking service when I was looking for my 1st road bike. They gave great service both over the phone and by email. The service I received face to face was 2rd to none and helpful to someone new to all this. The guy emailed me everything I needed to know well I was still in the shop. Once I ordered my bike I was kept informed from placing the order though to delivery.

I have used them since for a few things and found no problem. The last time was a few weeks ago via a number of emails about this very bike. Quickly replied and helpful information given.

Equally someone my have a different view point but can only go on what I found think I've seen something about they have charged the ofter sale's service which has improved things from what they once had.

Guess that not going to help you not buy one maybe your asking on wrong forum ;)

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Looks like a versatile bike at he price but orange and pale blue just don't go together for my eye. Personally I would go for the all blue option.
I have heard that Ribbles customer service reputation is not allways great.
Oh I don't know...

1024px-GT40_at_Goodwood.jpg

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are some good points here.

I like the colour scheme and thats a personal choice so it cannot lose points for that,

Vickster good question. I have the CDF 30 and its a lovely bike. But its steel and just standing alone its heavy. I realised that riding 550km over the mountains in Tuscany this summer and so I am looking for something lighter.

There is a mixed opinion about custmer service at Ribble. But I am in Denmark and so when the bike arrives, that is my association with Ribble finished unless there is something drastically wrong with the bike and the chances of that is slim.

Brakes are not that good. I agree with that and neither are the wheels. I have a set of Hunt wheels in the shed to swap them out with in the Spring. The stock ones can stay on for the winter. I have found even with crap brakes that Swisstop pads make a big difference.

Racing Roadkill. Clever play on words. But we all know you have no taste. So thanks for your endorsement. ^_^

Gary E

Veteran
To be fair, customer service with Ribble has been commented on in a negative way more than once but I think that is in the past to be honest. My interactions with them over the last few years have been nothing but positive; they couldn't do enough for be both when giving advise/help buying stuff and when returning them for repair (Turbo Trainer).

wonderloaf

Veteran
Just put my two pence worth in, I've just bought a bike through Ribble (CGR Ti as it happens ^_^) and the customer service was top notch, I had occasion to phone them a couple of times and the representative was always very polite and efficient, emailing me the info I requested.

Unfortunately when I received the bike the rear hanger was broken and so I just ordered a new one so as to get it quickly. I'm not sure whether it was Ribble or Parcel Force who broke it but informed Ribble anyway as I thought the bike packaging was a bit tight and they immediately refunded my money :okay:.

So my experience has been very positive, I would definitely consider buying a bike from them again, although that's probably not going to happen as the CGR Ti is my 'n+0' (or is that just 'n'?).

wonderloaf

Veteran
@wonderloaf Having seen one close up you have bought a beauty of a bike. My budget won't quite reach :sad: then again not sure i'd get approve from Mrs73 ;)
Yeah I'm a lucky man, it's my 60th birthday next year and we've just had our wedding anniversary so this is my christmas, birthday and anniversary present for next few years all wrapped up into one. Mrs W saw me drooling over it on the Ribble website and suggested I go for it, I didn't need much persuading!
Rides like a dream, got the Schwalbe G-ones on it so did a bit of light off roading the weekend ... bliss!

Top Bottom