talk to me about folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Mr 6 and I are in the market for a pair of folding bikes. There's no way he'll risk the paintwork by putting a carrier on the car, and its too much faff to be putting the other bikes in the boot, taking off wheels etc.
So, bromptons we love, but ouch, the price.
What else is good?!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Tern and dahons look good as well and are about half the price of a Brompton. I quite fancy a tern node. Looks very nice.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
How big is the car and what sort of riding are you planning on doing on these bikes?

Along with the usual small wheel compact fold variety you could consider a full size frame type that hinges around the seat tube if it is purely for convenience of lobbing in a car to ride elsewhere. Dunno much about them now, my last one was a long time ago, a 26" wheel MTB, fitted in a Mk1 golf boot with some space to spare.

For more conventional idea folders: check out Decathlon's different ranges of shape & price points. Mezzo, Dahons & Terns get nice write ups & seem well received by owners on various forums. I assume the product recall that affected Tern's last year has been addressed now, but if you were ebay'ing for a 2nd hand one then something to consider.

Around and below this level you've got the Halfords: Apollo, Raleigh, Carrera types typically around the £200-300 mark.

Other than that there's e.g. Land Rover, makers who are maybe not big/serious players in the market but have put out something better than a Chinese Brompton clone.

Bromptons are mid price range folders really, Birdy's start around £1k and go up from there, Moultons, Airnimals etc even more so.

HelenD123

Guru
I love my Airnimal Joey . It's got 24 inch wheels and feels pretty much like a full size bike. It folds down easily to put in a car. They're not cheap though. A couple of friends have Birdies which they also love. The fold is much neater on those and they have a sort of suspension which is nice. Again not a cheap option. If I could only have one bike it would be my Airnimal as it's so versatile.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
The car is a mark 7 golf, and we can put the back seat down, so they don't have to fold tiny.
We're looking at driving to Keswick, Morecambe, solway coast, type places for flattish cycle path riding, 10-20 miles or so at a pootling pace.
We don't really need the quality of a higher end bike but want to avoid the cheaper Apollo end.
I could get a carrera at a good price but they don't look as nice as the dahons and bromptons.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Brompton and a Dahon. Since the Brompton arrived the Dahon has not been used. It has a better ride but always (slightly) feels like it is about to have the handlebars tip over at the hinge point. Main issue for me is that th brompton folds small enough to genuinely get on the train.

If you have a Golf Mark 7 and presumably no kids or dogs etc then you will easily get two bikes in the back - possibly front wheels off. Use an old blanket to protect them from each other. That allows much more choice about whta bike you go for without having to buy a poor folder

HelenD123

Guru
If yoiur hubby is worried about the paintwork, have you considered a tow bar mounted bike rack, something like this? You'd have to pay to have a tow bar fitted but it could be cheaper overall than buying new bikes.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
If yoiur hubby is worried about the paintwork, have you considered a tow bar mounted bike rack, something like this? You'd have to pay to have a tow bar fitted but it could be cheaper overall than buying new bikes.
Fit a tow bar?! And spoil the look of his car?! Oh my! ;-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've just become a Brompton convert. Expensive yes. Bloody amazing, yes. Big fun to ride, yes. If the garage was burning down which of my 6 fab bikes (including the new custom Rourke) would I save? The Brompton without a doubt. What a heap of fun and it's no slouch either.

Sara_H

Guru
We have a decathlon hoptoen which is a rebadged Dahon and it it a very comfy ride. The folding up up is a bit crap and its a bit bulky, but if you just need to fold them to get into a big car then it's fine.
We have a brompton which I prefer for the copct fold, but OH prefers the Hoptown, he finds the handlebars too low on the brompton.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I've test rode a Raleigh, carrera, dahon and brompton and much to mr6s disgust I'd be quite happy with the Raleigh.
I was expecting much more from the brompton tbh, I didn't hate it but I didn't fall in love.
We're hoping to try tern next weekend and then it will be decision time.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've test rode a Raleigh, carrera, dahon and brompton and much to mr6s disgust I'd be quite happy with the Raleigh.
I was expecting much more from the brompton tbh, I didn't hate it but I didn't fall in love.
We're hoping to try tern next weekend and then it will be decision time.

I spent years as a Birdy rider, having numerous test rides on Bromptons and going away thinking Emperors new clothes. It takes a few days of getting to know you riding on a Brompton for it to really click and then you turn into the likes of me & fab foodie ;-)

Best of luck with the Tern test & whichever you go for.

Top Bottom